How often should I have to GB?

fuzzymaster

Maybe it is the soil but my Vaquero was off everytime I checked the ground balance while detecting the other day, to the point where I balanced after every hole.

Depends on the soil. Especially at old house sites, there can be huge differences. There is rust and metallic fragments that change the apparent ground conditions. If it's off a little bit, you may lose a bit of depth, but the detector will still work, even if it's less than optimum. Sometimes you just have to get an average and run it.

worst spots around here are places where coal slag has been spread out, from someone cleaning out an old coal furnace; and places where there were burning barrels that rotted away.

GB

I would only re check my GB if the soil changed. I hunt farms in the Mid-Atlantic area and our soils can range from mild to heavy minerals.

But not every hole thats kinda waste of time.

as often as needed...

I like to "power balance" all of my manual GB Tesoros right to the point where they talk to you just a bit.

If they get too chatty, I check the GB and usually bump it a bit more positive; too quiet and bump it more negative. I like to just hear the occasional chirp that small hot rocks will make. It only takes a couple seconds to reset the GB as you're moving from spot to spot, and it's even quicker and easier to judge by "power balancing" in disc. mode, rather than setting it in all-metal.

Running GB as negative as possible without constantly chirping, seems to give best depth and target response. I like mine right on the edge, and when on the edge, it's easier to tell if too positive or negative.

Too positive, and you'll lose target response on larger coins. Too negative, and the detector sees all the ground minerals as targets and chirps away as you swing.

Pine nut say's GB so your Md talks to ya , I agree . IMO its as important as your swing ,your walk or any setting on the MD . ,,,,,HH

I was turning the sensitivity down when it got too chatty, so I will try the GB next time. The place where I had the problem has been flooded with sea water a few times so maybe that could make a difference.?

Back
Top Bottom