Determining the age of a home

maxbet

How do you guys determine how old a home is? I was just browsing around zillow and noticed that the listings said what year the house was built. Where can someone find such info?

I'm already familiar with figuring out who owns property through the tax assessor and I frequent historicaerials for maps but how can I be sure when a particular structure was built?

I look mainly for two clues. The foundation of the house and the size of the trees. Big trees is a good indicator of old property even if the house foundation is concrete.

Also, the architecture can often give you a ballpark of the age. Certain styles were popular during particular time periods.

Interesting, what were foundations constructed from prior to concrete? And as for the architecture, it sounds like some research is going to be required...

How do the realtors figure out exactly what year a home was built??

How do the realtors figure out exactly what year a home was built??

Those realty listings are often wrong. Our house had a build date of 1940 in the listing, but after researching, found it was built in the early 1890's.

Fieldstone foundations, old trees, old-looking & ornate woodworking, shutters that actually function, slate sidewalks, etc., are what I look for. Victorian homes are pretty easy to spot. And houses that have all sorts of weird add-ons and additions, done in stages over many years is a good sign. Also look at the outbuildings. They often hold clues as to the age.

if you can access the tax records, you can access the year. at least, around here you can.

Stone foundations pre-date concrete and block walls. I find many old stone foundations are very pretty. I think concrete and block probably started in the 20's, if the owner could afford it.

Attachments

• found1.jpg
    found1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom