Rookie cop called the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

headmix4u

(if you can read this great) was I at wrong when is a wooded area off limits

I been metal detecting wooded area around me for some time, I always look for private property signs and no trespassing signs I respect areas I hunt.

As I come out to the street a lady walking by screams like I was a bandit telling me I almost got shoot as she was scared (Puzzled ME said sorry)

MEAN while her rookie son or boy friend was looking for me came up to me telling me he was a cop that lived across the street what was I doing!
interrogating me badly.

he acted like I was running from him. my motor bike was 40' from where I came out.

I told him that I done a lot of research on this area wooded and search for history and I was not intentionally trespassing in any way. (no such posting of it either) SR. (boy)
his concern was I was stealing on a motor cycle I guess?

The police officer he called which was running my stuff came up as well and showed him ID

I was trying to show him my stuff and was acting like I was gone to pull out a gun on him. ( I told him its only me and 2 of you come on now)

I showed them the milk bottle I found

sure enough they told me the woods belongs to someone that I needed to have permission.

the police on duty told me to get permission any property wooded or not belongs to someone and it will be ok

That's why people post signs etc when they don't want people on the land which has been vacant for ever.

I understand there concern as party people and people looking to steal stuff(residents not that guy which was looking for a fight).

but still they looked and the rookie was not happy as he thinks every one is a bad but him what a bone head!

(he thought he was gone to get lucky with an arrest.)

The on duty cop said I need permission so its time to go to the printing press and land records.

I told the rookie ill be back with a letter.

He don't want me to come to his property which is not even on the wooded side.

I said so you wont be scared and cause a big scene next time.(good)

I know the commercial properties along woods which he told me it belongs to someone else aronic .

I told him ill be back with permission so he don't get scared of my presence

Resolve this with best permission I can find for now which are the commercial properties along the woods with a permission letter to hunt along back of there property .

woods are not marked in any way guess ill be milking it

Attachments

• IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0040.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,033
A lot of, if not most, counties have a website you can go to to find who owns property. Here it' the Tax Assessors site. It's a map, you have to cruise around to find the spot and click on it. It gives the owners name and address. The next county over, Galveston, has theirs setup like Google Earth, so it's easier to find a property.

I find properties well in advance and write down the information. You may have to write a letter requesting permission, include a return addressed and stamped envelope, with a form listing the property that all they need do is sign and return. I've done this several times and receive permission about 50% of the time. Corporate owners seem more receptive. I offer anything of possible historic value to the county museum, and it may help to state what you will do with found items in the request.

sure enough they told me the woods belongs to someone that I needed to have permission.

the police on duty told me to get permission any property wooded or not belongs to someone and it will be ok

They were correct...

You were WRONG, and I consider it theft, i.e. stealing from somebody..

How long have you been reading posts on here????

Sheesh...

<*)))>{

No one accused of stealing or was I gone to be arrested unless I was the bandit like the guy was hopeing for.
Just the guy was being an a whole a as it was a dead end.

the cop told me it would be ok just check and see who owns the land and make sure its ok.
This is a wooded area left over from development which did not happen due to street and lot size

A buffer from 2 roads which I will go visit everone and let them know ill be there

This area around me has a lot of them there are no sign In any way.
There are trails etc

I am sorry but I do this all the time and I know my boundaries.
This is not cw land like your blessed and the mondern day pirate

trespassing

What part don't people understand? If you are on a piece of ground and it doesn't belong to you. You are trespassing. Doesn't make any difference how long its been vacant. It belongs to someone somewhere. Unless its public ground or your invited stay off. If you cross a fence to go hunting fishing or just to pick a flower, Yep. Trespassing.

Without posted signs, the cop can't ticket you unless the property owner complains. It's not a cops job to go around looking for people who might be trespassing. An adjacent property owner calling is enough for them to check it out but they can't do anything unless the actual owner complains. This is why you were let go and not ticketed for trespassing.

That said:
Do you really think that there are properties owned by nobody? Of course it's owned by someone and unless you have permission, it's called trespassing. The people were right to question you and right to call the cops. Find the owner and ask permission like you are supposed to.

Now where getting somewhere. County owned so what do I do in that case.
Also most of the wooded area is that not meaning not owned by someone and not posted

Thanks for assesor info

And thanks for the post about no post no ticket helps my confidence

A lot of, if not most, counties have a website you can go togettini g find who owns property. Here it' the Tax Assessors site. It's a map, you have to cruise around to find the spot and click on it. It gives the owners name and address. The next county over, Galveston, has theirs setup like Google Earth, so it's easier to find a property.

I find properties well in advance and write down the information. You may have to write a letter requesting permission, include a return addressed and stamped envelope, with a form listing the property that all they need do is sign and return. I've done this several times and receive permission about 50% of the time. Corporate owners seem more receptive. I offer anything of possible historic value to the county museum, and it may help to state what you will do with found items in the request.

Now where getting somewhere. County owned so what do I do in that case.
Also most of the wooded area is that not meaning not owned by someone and not posted

Thanks for assesor info

And thanks for the post about no post no ticket helps my confidence

He didn't say it was county owned. He said most counties have a website that says who owns it.

Just google search your county and then GIS at the end and there should be a website with an interactive map to find the property owner. Could be state owned, county owned, city owned, or privately owned. If it's private, gotta get permission, City, County, or State, you have to check with local laws. In my state of Wisconsin, all State land is off limits to metal detecting.

I also didn't say no post no ticket. You gotta read these posts man. I said the reason you didn't get a ticket last time was because it wasn't posted and the owner didn't complain. If the owner is involved, you got a whole pile of problems.

You need to listen to Ice Scratcher. I think that you going on private property without permission shows a total lack of respect and regard for others. With that said in SOME States, you must be advised that you can't be there to be found guilty of trespassing. I don't know what state you are in. That may explain why you didn't go to jail. You can bet if you continue doing stuff like that you will eventually go to jail. As for taking stuff off the property that is 100% theft. If they find the land owner and he/she wants to prosecute you for removing that bottle or ANY object, regardless of value, a warrant can be obtained and you would be arrested.

Is it really worth all that? Why not just try to do it the right way???? This type moronic !!!! is what makes it hard on everyone else. If you don't see a problem with this... Please list your gear on eBay before the next report we see if you arrested for digging up graves because they were not posted either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

U don't understand there are trails and people hike etc. There are to many places like this but people been using them to break into properties and that's what I was caught up in. In the case that I accidently wounder in private property ill accept my mistake and will correct that bail fine etc

Until the common areas I see biking ,hike, dog walking people dumping trash I metal detect especialy if its not posted

I don't tomb raid but I guess with the way u talk down to people really makes them steer away from learnig and asking for advice.

Also I live in south Jersey so if I can't metal detect in county shoot me, I don't mess with state land .

U don't understand there are trails and people hike etc. There are to many places like this but people been using them to break into properties and that's what I was caught up in. In the case that I accidently wounder in private property ill accept my mistake and will correct that bail fine etc

Until the common areas I see biking ,hike, dog walking people dumping trash I metal detect especialy if its not posted

I don't tomb raid but I guess with the way u talk down to people really makes them steer away from learnig and asking for advice.

Also I live in south Jersey so if I can't metal detect in county shoot me, I don't mess with state land .

Hiking trails and the fact that it's open to the public still doesn't mean you can metal detect. Find out the owner before you go.

Know the boundary and if you have permission on one property don't cross the boundary to another property. This isn't rocket science.

Find who owns it
Get permission or read laws on public land
Enjoy the hobby with no worry of arrest and no damage to our reputation.

Your attitude sucks on this issue.

So you think since there were no signs posted saying no trespassing you could go there? :dash2: You are a terrible ambassador for the hobby with your disregard for peoples property.:mad:

This!

My front door is not marked no trespassing, but I'm sure you wouldn't let yourself in, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think this guy hooked all of you. Troll alert. Troll alert. If I'm wrong all I can say is :no::roll:

Stick it to the man. Ha ha ha your the best ill be on tv before u know . I don't care I metal detect the woods around here ass I can. Haha there owned by the corporate world I am a rebel then. Not well educated like u but u only live once.

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom