Would you even ask permission to hunt a gravel lot up for sale?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
There's an old flea market which is a completely gravel lot that has a real estate company for sale sign. Would you even bother calling for permission? Half the time the rednecks around here don't even understand what a metal detector is. This place is way out in the country off a back road in a town I will be traveling to soon. Would you just hunt unless someone came by and told you to leave? Its large gravel so it's not like you will damage the grounds. I've hunted gravel lots before and found lots of coins. Normally I ask permission, but I feel this place is different situation. It's been sitting there rotting for years.

Nope. I'd just walk up and swing. Worse they can do is ask ya to leave.

Of course, the RIGHT thing to do is ask, but I wouldn't think it necessary here.

Nope. I'd just walk up and swing. Worse they can do is ask ya to leave.

Of course, the RIGHT thing to do is ask, but I wouldn't think it necessary here.

Considering all the stupid questions I get asked about my 'geiger counter' I just dread trying to explain it to some backwoods lady real estate agent. Because it's always these country women don't have the foggiest idea about what metal detectors are (and I can say that because I'm a woman- lol) Recently had a woman in tot lot ask me if I thought it was safe for her son to play there. I thought she must be trying to hint I was in their way so I started to be polite and leave only to then be asked if I was looking for bombs. The woman then broke down near hysterical and ended up having to reassure her there were no bombs there and I had never once found a bomb anyway then make myself look bad in her eyes explaining how I was looking for dropped money and jewelry which she thought was downright trashy thing for someone to do. I normally don't ask to hunt private grounds I just wait till someone asks me to hunt their yard after they ask what I do on weekends. I get enough requests that way I don't have to ask strangers then. I got 7 private places lined up already just waiting for cooler weather when the mosquitoes and ticks hibernate so I can hunt in peace. :laughing:

lol, we got them here to but here we call them wannabees

Wannabees? Hmm... that doesn't make sense. I'm Native American and that's what we call the New Agers that pretend to be Indians... "blonde haired, blue eyed wannabees". Interesting difference in terminology across the States!

In the old days maybe People dident mind. But nowadays you may end up in jail and get your Metal Detector taken away. It's the times. With all the bad publicity we get now.

then make myself look bad in her eyes explaining how I was looking for dropped money and jewelry which she thought was downright trashy thing for someone to do.

You should have then explained that you are not doing it for the money, you are doing it for fun, the thrill of the chase, so to speak. That you would return anything of value that you find if you could, and then show her all the dangerous trash that you have removed from the playground.

In the old days maybe People dident mind. But nowadays you may end up in jail and get your Metal Detector taken away. It's the times. With all the bad publicity we get now.

When did this happen outside of a national battlefield or other federal property?

Kind of odd to see someone with the name "hillbillydigger" calling other people hicks, idiots and uneducated morons. Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

It's the only thing I could think of at the time since Southern Digger doesn't sound right. Dirt Fisher was already taken. I liked that one since I also enjoy fishing. All hillbilly means is someone who lives in the hills. I do live in the mountains, but I'm not a redneck or country bumpkin because I'm a lot more educated than most I met in these parts. It's pitiful how bad it is here. Like people here can't even understand why you should eat healthy and I get questioned at the store for why I'm buying certain things or quizzed why I won't drink Mountain Dew like "everyone else". They can't even comprehend when I tell them what kind of work I did prior to moving here. Hillbilly is not a term for someone of low intelligence.

It's the only thing I could think of at the time since Southern Digger doesn't sound right. Dirt Fisher was already taken. I liked that one since I also enjoy fishing. All hillbilly means is someone who lives in the hills. I do live in the mountains, but I'm not a redneck or country bumpkin because I'm a lot more educated than most I met in these parts. It's pitiful how bad it is here. Like people here can't even understand why you should eat healthy and I get questioned at the store for why I'm buying certain things or quizzed why I won't drink Mountain Dew like "everyone else". They can't even comprehend when I tell them what kind of work I did prior to moving here. Hillbilly is not a term for someone of low intelligence.

I'm not going to get into labeling people but I'll take the friendship of a redneck country bumpkin over a 'Hahvud' educated pompous ass anytime. The redneck is a heck of a lot more dependable when you need help and not nearly as judgemental.

I'll bite, what did you do before moving there?
Inquiring minds need to know :D
BTW I'd just go for it at the gravel lot.

Back
Top Bottom