Just asked permission to detect an early 1900s nursing home ... my first time asking

tonym

Elite Member
Well, I decided that you have to start asking sometime, so I fired off an email to the corporate headquarters of an early 1900's nursing home a few blocks from my house. Here is the email I sent, and I will update the group with any response received. There is probably a few acres of detectable land on this site.

Having never done this before, I am putting these odds on outcomes:

email ignored - 40% chance
request denied - 50% chance
request granted - 10% chance

here is the emal I sent:

Good Day:

My name is Tony M$$$$$ and I live at ## $$$$$ Avenue, just a few blocks from your $$$$ Ave Facility. I am 56, a recently retired $$$$$ County employee with a hobby of metal detecting. I detect with extreme respect to any property I am privileged to hunt, leaving no trace of any activity on the grass (I flip over small horseshoe shaped plugs of dirt when recovering a target). I also gladly pick up any trash I encounter on the ground. My dad taught me to always leave an area in better condition than when you arrived and I have been practicing that advice for 50+ years :)

I am respectfully requesting permission to metal detect on the huge grounds of the $$$$ Ave facility. I will happily donate anything related to the residence to you. I would also detect during times to provide least distraction to all involved.

My phone number is ###-#### and my email address is $$$$@$$$.net.

Thank You very much for your consideration in this matter and I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy day to consider my request.

Permission

I'd give you permission---- with a letter like that!!!! I'm sure you will get some takers with that letter!!!! Tony AZ:cool:

Great letter. Did you ever get a reply??

Well, I decided that you have to start asking sometime, so I fired off an email to the corporate headquarters of an early 1900's nursing home a few blocks from my house. Here is the email I sent, and I will update the group with any response received. There is probably a few acres of detectable land on this site.

Having never done this before, I am putting these odds on outcomes:

email ignored - 40% chance
request denied - 50% chance
request granted - 10% chance

here is the emal I sent:

Good Day:

My name is Tony M$$$$$ and I live at ## $$$$$ Avenue, just a few blocks from your $$$$ Ave Facility. I am 56, a recently retired $$$$$ County employee with a hobby of metal detecting. I detect with extreme respect to any property I am privileged to hunt, leaving no trace of any activity on the grass (I flip over small horseshoe shaped plugs of dirt when recovering a target). I also gladly pick up any trash I encounter on the ground. My dad taught me to always leave an area in better condition than when you arrived and I have been practicing that advice for 50+ years :)

I am respectfully requesting permission to metal detect on the huge grounds of the $$$$ Ave facility. I will happily donate anything related to the residence to you. I would also detect during times to provide least distraction to all involved.

My phone number is ###-#### and my email address is $$$$@$$$.net.

Thank You very much for your consideration in this matter and I appreciate your taking the time out of your busy day to consider my request.

Email

Your e-mail probably was blocked by their spam filter. If so, they never saw it. Where I work, our filter will block about 25,000 emails on a slow day, 75,000 on a busy day. I would print the letter, take it to them and ask in person. Always better to use a personal approach.
HH
Dug13

The email is excellent! I give you permission :)

I would go to grounds-keeper to see what they have to say. Make sure to get their name and make lots of small talk :) I think you will get it, especially if you offer to share some finds.

Nice email but as already stated you don't know if it was even opened. I like the sound of the idea of meeting groundskeepers. Stress the fact you will pick up garbage and of course leave no trace. Maybe even invite the head guy to join you to see what it's all about. GL and HH. Matt

Still being very squeamish of door knocking, I've done a lot of e-mail requests and have had a lot of success with it. Your letter was well done. Sorry that one didn't turn out, but glad the other one did!

Still being very squeamish of door knocking, I've done a lot of e-mail requests and have had a lot of success with it. Your letter was well done. Sorry that one didn't turn out, but glad the other one did!

I don't have a personality where cold-calling and door-knocking come easy and would definitely prefer to ask via email, even if it is a lower percentage success rate. Just curious who you've had success with going the email route.

Would think email would be the best bet because it's easier for people to respond to. Also if you do get permission you have something to print out and show should you get stopped by police or an employee who doesn't think you have permission.

Back
Top Bottom