Info on White's Spectrum<><><><>>

Paulb

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY TO FINALLY OWN A WHITE'S!!!!!!I was just lucky enough to obtain a White's Spectrum detector(not XLT,it's the Eagle Spectrum ).Can anyone give me the little tips and tricks on this unit and any other info on it.It comes with the hardshell case and I noticed in the pic that it has the spectrum coil on it.I got it on Ebay for a buy it now of $125.Is this a good deal????Also anyone got any pics.There was only one on the ad showing it in the case.Also does the display light up for hunting at night?????THANKS

I would say thats a great price. Re the meter it should light up for searching in bad light but it might not in view of the low price you paid. The LCD illumination does fail eventually but does not affect the display itself and in view of the cost of repair (the whole unit has to be swapped out) most don't worry as you can detect at night by using the audio discrimination.
I have had all the Spectrum models and the XLT at the moment but prefered the model your getting. All you really lose out on is not having as many programme slots as the XLT and its a heavier machine.
Main thing to remember is that as with all machines use less discrimination and you gain depth, the inbuilt programmes are O.K. but a little tweak really pays off. Set the audio pitch to suit your hearing as a first move especially if you have any hearing loss. Up the sensitivity as long as the machine stays stable. Dont forget its a four filter machine so all the suggestions about sweeping low and slow should be ignored. Low is fine but a fast speed will give more depth and better discrimination results. Do use pinpoint mode to locate the exact position of the target (hold trigger towards you). Depth will read off and you can really home in on the target. Sweep off to one side and the meter readings will be wrong.
When you get it post which software version you have. It comes up on screen when you switch on.

You lucky dog.

I used a Spectrum for 13 years and still believe it to be my favorite even after my XLT. If I could buy mine back I'd do it but its new owner is pretty happy.

The factory programs(Coins, Coins/Jewelry etc) are a good place to start. I was digging coins 6-7" with a pretty reliable target ID, but as mentioned a little tweaking and you have a very competitive machine.

I started in our local park with the factory Coins and Jewelry setting and as I tweaked the settings would save it as a custom program that way each trip back to the park got better and better. By tweaking I mean adjusting the Preamp Gain and AC Sensitivity. In my opinion these are the two most important adjustments for depth.

If you want some custom programs just look at some of the XLT's programs. From what I understand the Spectrum is the same as the XLT. Personally, I think they made some changes to the way the processor of the XLT handles data making it slower at responding and hence less stable, but that just my observation.

Once again, don't take this as degrading the XLT because it IS a great machine, I believe in my case swinging a Spectrum for 13 years I developed a style more suited to the Spectrum than the XLT. For example, I found with the Spectrum a questionable signal(50% good 50% bad on swings) could be enhanced by a more aggressive swing. By aggressive I'm talking whipping it like your cutting the grass. This, on the Spectrum, seemed to give it a bit more depth and reliable target ID whereas on the XLT it didn't work.

Hey thanks alot Brian and Detector for the info.As soon as I get it I will post the software version it has.The seller stated it is in very good condition.I can't wait to get it!!!I am new to metal detecting and started with a Bounty Hunter ID,then a BH Pioneer 505,then an MP3 Pro Digital,then the Garrett GTA350 and GTA500.Sold all those because I wanted a White's.Gonna take some time to learn to use it,but can't wait to get out there.... :grin:

Very wise investment, Paul.
You're gonna appreciate that decision in the very near future!
HH to you, man!

Krom

Back
Top Bottom