Send one email to save the hobby. That's all we ask.

pocketspill

Elite Member
The bill to allow metal detecting in Kentucky state parks has passed the Senate and now needs to go before the House (SB 105 / HB 352) for a vote. But it is held up in Committee by Leslie Combs (Tourism)

You don't have to be a KY resident.
You don't have to be a detector hobbyist.
Please respectfully urge her NOT to block the bill and let her know that we are a respectful group of people enjoying a lawful hobby. x

Leslie Combs has received letters and videos from the Archeological community portraying people who enjoy this hobby as destructive looters and thieves.

Please respectfully urge her NOT to block the bill and let her know that we are a respectful group of people enjoying a lawful hobby. Email her directly at [email protected].

We're asking for one email. That's it. Please, everyone send it.

We need more info.Indian land?A bird sanctuary?ect...??????????????

JUST sent the following:

"Rep. Combs,

I am a married father of four wonderful boys. I am a deputy sheriff in
Rockcastle County and a graduate of one of the finest schools in the
nation, the University of the Cumberlands.

My two oldest boys, Grant, 12, and Garrett, 6, and I metal detect as a
hobby. While we usually end up finding more trash (which we
respectfully remove), we get to spend time together in a hobby for
which we all three share equal enthusiasm.

The opportunity, on a limited basis, to metal detect on state parks
would not only be of benefit for those of us living near one of
Kentucky's outstanding state parks, but would also be yet another
opportunity to enhance Kentucky's tourism value - metal detectorists
from out of state would show greater interest in Kentucky attractions
if this law were passed.

You may have already heard that Montpelier, James and Dolly Madison's
home, recently used metal detectorists to aid in discovery of
artifacts to better interpret the historic site
(http://montpelier.org/blog/?p=4833). As a former volunteer at one of
our parks (portraying Col. William Whitley for the William Whitley
House), I recognize and can validate the benefit of harnessing the
expertise and discovery potential of metal detectorists. Also, those
participating in this interpretive program were from several states,
further supporting my earlier statement regarding engaging more
tourism opportunities for Kentucky's parks system.

It is my hope that you give considerable thought to your decision to
release this bill from committee and send it to the floor.

Thank you,

Matt Bryant"

I just sent the following

Representative Leslie Combs

My name is Mike XXXXXX. I am a Mechanical Designer in northern Illinois who enjoys the hobby of Metal Detecting, my primary interest being old U.S. coins. Growing up in southern Illinois, just across the river from Kentucky, I was fortunate enough to make frequent visits to your great state, and very often still do. Over the years I have become very fond of Kentucky, it’s people, culture, and history and look forward to each visit with excited anticipation.

Yet, I am very upset to hear that a bill allowing metal detecting in Kentucky state parks, that has been passed by your senate, is now being held up in committee by you. I further understand that your basis for this is due to pressure from the Archeological community who are providing information that unfairly, and inaccurately, portrays people who enjoy this hobby as destructive looters and thieves. While any hobby or activity has irresponsible participants the vast majority of people practicing this hobby are very conscientious and responsible, and will not tolerate those who are not.

It bewilders me that Archeologist in the United States go to such extremes to alienate a group of people who could be among their strongest supporters, and a valuable resource. I would like to point out that in the United Kingdom Metal Detectorist and Archeologist have, what appears to be, an excellent working relationship that benefits both parties, and the nation as a whole by locating and helping to preserve relics of significant cultural importance. The following links are to stories describing two of the better known, but not the only such incidents. I hope that you will take a few minutes to read them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33004687/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/largest-hoard-anglo-saxon-treasure-found/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5633192/Housewife-finds-250000-treasure-with-metal-detector.html

Please do not allow unfounded and inaccurate characterization by the Archeological community taint your support of this bill. I encourage you to do all that you can to see that this bill gets out of committee and passed as soon as possible.

Mike XXXXXX
Dixon Illinois

I sent an email highlighting how metal detecting hobbyists are a benefit to public lands, hopefully it helps.

The wife and I sent ours...hopefully it works. We should be able to detect all over this great country!

Hi Leslie,

My Name is Rob, and I am writing to ask you to please let bill SB105/HB352 pass in an effort to save our hobby of metal detecting. The vast majority of us abide by the same code of ethics and do our part to conserve the environment We always pick up trash and leave an area in better shape than we found it. We are not destructive or looters as we have been portrayed by those who are ignorant of what our hobby entails. One of the code of ethics we abide by is to always secure permission before detecting, anywhere. We do that, and we also turn in significant finds to our local museums and historical societies. That is our contribution to our history.

We metal detect as a form of exercise like others play golf. We do far less damage to the areas that we metal detect than one does swinging a golf clubs and leaving divits all over the place. We rarely make a plug more than 6 inches deep, and we always pride ourselves in covering the plug in an effort to leave no trace of our having been there. We all start out learning how to properly make a plug in our own backyards before venturing out into public places that we have permission to detect.

We abide by laws, ordinances, city government rules, and report any criminal activity in an effort to work hand in hand with our local communities. Most places we go, law enforcement patrol routinely. They stop and talk to us from time to time, so they are very aware of our presence, and in many cases, we have sought their permission when we were not sure about detecting certain areas. They know that we are leaving the areas that we detect in better shape than when we arrived because they don't recieve complaints of our presence. We pack out any trash that we find in public areas that we metal detect. That is not only a covenant of our code of ethics, but it also another way that we give back to our communities. Most people would be surprised at the amount of sharp metals we find on playgrounds and other areas where our children play daily.

We remove untold pounds of trash scattered about from playgrounds, walking trails, schools, forests, rivers, streams, lakes, parks, construction zones, etc. Many times, that trash is recycled to be used once again. We also have a group called Clad for Kids... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clad-for-Kids/272397629449570 that we collectively contribute the change we find so that under-privileged or sick children may be blessed with items for Christmas that they ordinarily wouldn't have recieved.

The point is that metal detectorists work together collectively in an effort to make a positive impact on our environment and society. As Metal Detectorists, We are a respectful, and contributing group of individuals and we ask you to please support us in our goal of keeping our hobby of metal detecting legal in public areas.

Thank You for your time, Rob

Not the most eloquent, but made the effort for us :)

I sent one but I think I did it wrong. I told her that we save historic items and clean up trash. But the thing I think I did wrong is I said That I don't want the bill to pass. Sorry I'm just confused do we want the bill to pass or not pass. Sorry haven't been following up on the news lately.

Back
Top Bottom