At Pro Questions- My First Day

Detective K

My AT Pro arrived today. I took it down to a park just to check it out.
I went straight to Pro mode since I've read that's the best one.
I put it in coin mode. My first target was a bottle cap. I got 4 pennies....nothing special.
I'm used to my Bounty Hunter 505, and this machine is much different.

I'm confused about the Iron Audio. I had it off, but would turn it on, to check a target. I did not hear a low, high, low so I dug them, and got some iron anyway.
Am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions?

Also the long line on the screen, (Target ID curser, upper scale)at the top, that goes from left to right-it looks like it's missing some black boxes in the middle.
I checked the manual again, and their pictures have a solid black line across with all blocks filled in.
Why are some of the blocks empty?

Some of the blocks are empty because you have it in coin mode. Its discriminating those out. Go to Pro zero and they will come back. Also there is a AT social group you can join. That will give you plenty of answers. Go to your User CP and then go to social groups. Once your there click on the AT Pro group. It is very helpful. I also was struggling a little with iron audio. I understood the concept and what the book was telling me but getting the sounds down is tuff. There is definetly a learning curve with the AT. You will like it, its a good metal detector.

Watch all the information videos parts 1-7, then watch them again.

There is a lot to learn with the AT Pro but the learning curve is worth it.

I'm probably at around 50 hours with mine and just really getting comfortable with it.

I also started with a BH!

Depending on how rusted the iron was along with it's size, it can throw off ANY metal detector. Iron audio when over iron gives a consistent grunt sound.

Having used and mastered the AT Pro, iron audio was one of the features I rarely ever used. I dug all targets 70+ as that's really where any good coins will fall anyway. I wasn't interseted in nickels so I didn't bother as pull tabs are the same signal.

I did find my first gold with the AT Pro, a very small childs ring at 14k, extremely thin but gave a solid 65 signal repeatable so I dug it for kicks. Iron audio was going haywire as I was in a tot lot near the metal structure. Iron audio can be very confusing so learn the tones.

You will need to get some hours with it before you really start hearing the audio subtle differences. Try ball parks and football fields for a lot of clad and it helps get experience with the new machine. You will love it.

Thanks Flush Draw-for the info on the group. I joined over there, and read many posts.

Irons- Thanks. I did find the videos, and watched them. It's a whole different ballgame than the BH.

Outwardjourney- Good to know the info about the iron audio. I did find a large piece of iron, that probably would have thrown off many detectors.

Scout23- It's somewhat confusing at first, but hopefully I'll learn the sounds.

What are the best settings in Pro Mode, if you're just looking for silver coins?

I use zero mode.

It won't discrimate out a target.

especially when older detectors may have skipped an iron target, that was masking a silver coin. with the AT I have found a few silvers that were in the same hole, or next to some iron. I only here a small chirp of the higher tone among the iron grunts..

DO a test:
throw a nail in a hole and put a silver coin in also. bury it at about 5-6 inches. and see what settings you can get the best reading on the silver.

I have almost a whole year on the AT pro, and I still learn more about it daily..

^

What he said. The more I use this machine the less I use any discrimation at all.
Last couple hunts I just ran pro zero and listened to everything. I'm hitting a big beach tomorrow morning and thats how I'm going to roll.

Maybe I'm imagining things but all signals seem to come through more clearly when nothing is notched out.

I agree with Irons totally, I have only had my ATPro for a month or so and I have spent most of my time in my own yard which in some areas is full of nails. I have marked off an area that I have gone over in every possible set up. The best for me is pro mode no discrimination. If in areas that do not have lots of nails, and I get an iffy signal, I go to my custom pro mode where I have the discrimination set a 35 and I turn on the iron audio, if I don,t get the grunt sound I dig and it is usually a good target, although not always. In my case in my yard a good target just means it isn't a nail, LOL, instead it is a penny, a quarter, a match box car. The only things that through s me off are aluminum cans even flat pieces about a inch square, they give a good signal. So do bottle tops, but when I go to the custom mode with the iron audio on I am getting good at telling it is a cap before I dig because of the slight grunt it makes but aluminum bottle caps don,t give that grunt sound. If someone could make a detector be able to separate aluminum from a good target like a coin, they would make a fortune. If it is a large piece of a can or a full can you can lift the coil up and the higher you go and still get a signal will tell you it is a larger object, like a can for example. Still learning more every time I go out, its time I hit some of the tot lots and ball fields to see if I have learned as much as I think I have.

As far as the best setting for silver coins I have read some say they notch out everything from 70 down. I have set up a test in my yard with silver coins, clad coins, and gold rings, 10k and 18k. I then went over these with everything from 70 down notched out and found the silver and some of the clad. I then turned off all notches not in the gold range, and found the rings and nickels. What I am trying to say is the ATPro can do alot and for me experimenting to learn as much as I can is fun.

What are the best settings in Pro Mode, if you're just looking for silver coins?

If you don't care about nickels (as I don't) this is the setting that I do.

PRO MODE - ZERO (pay close attention here)
IRON DISC - 40 (max)
Eliminate everything except 70+

This has me strictly digging pennies, dimes, quarters and higher. You lose all gold, but if I am coin hunting that is what I use. (of course some trash too, nothing is trash free)

I use PRO ZERO because I believe ALL METAL modes are more sensitive than coin modes. It may just be in my head, but I have found more targets in zero with this discrimination than in Pro Coin. And this is having repeatedly hunted the same areas.

I don,t think it is just in your head outwardjouney, that is why I prefer all metal mode as well.

Page 28 of manual, top diagram. Pro mode, custom, iron at 0, full sens and nothing notched out. It will give you 3tones and it is more clear and deepest I have found. GL. Tom

Page 28 of manual, top diagram. Pro mode, custom, iron at 0, full sens and nothing notched out. It will give you 3tones and it is more clear and deepest I have found. GL. Tom

:?:
Why do Pro Custom mode and leave it wide open if Pro ZERO is already preset that way? If you're looking for silver and/or coins only, then you need discrimination. With no iron/disc anything that is metal will ring in.

Keep in mind he said 'silver coins'.

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate them.

Outwardjourney-
I tried your setting yesterday, and today, at the 1850's homestead Ive been hunting, but still no silver. I did get a 1846 2 cent piece awhile ago, from there.
I prefer to discriminate, because my ears can't handle all the noise, and I don't care about nickels.
I keep getting foil, but I'm not sure why....

Outwardjourney-
I tried your setting yesterday, and today, at the 1850's homestead Ive been hunting, but still no silver. I did get a 1846 2 cent piece awhile ago, from there.
I prefer to discriminate, because my ears can't handle all the noise, and I don't care about nickels.

Remember, you can't find silver unless it's there. Also important to note that aluminum will still ring in on a high tone especially if it's the thickness of a coin or a larger piece. It is the one draw back to the AT Pro it finds aluminum too. The reason I prefer to run high discrimination with the AT Pro is because I found that it's a GREAT relic machine and good coin machine. I disc out everything below 70 and in doing so all of my finds have been increased and trash minimized. I tell you, when you are in a place that has the coins you're looking for, you will find them. They just have to be there.

It is also important to make mention that with the DD coil you must make sure to overlap your swings. Don't go edge to edge as I find the edge of the DD coil to be rather soft in detection. Overlap your swing by a few inches if possible.

Ok, I will make sure to overlap my swings. Thanks for the tips.
I'm a newer hunter, but I've done a lot of research. I know the places we are going to are very old, with a lot of history...

I've noticed this machine, doesn't give me as many repeatable targets as my used Bounty Hunter 505. I'm kind of glad, because I was digging mostly nails, and junk.
I don't think the BH was working properly.
I'd rather have less hits, and better finds.

The aluminum hits sucks though. I wish there was a way to get rid of them....

Outwardjourney-

Aluminum does take time away from good finds. I still dig aluminum even with my Etrac, less now than before, as nails seem to be the predominate find with the Etrac these days as they are extremely rusty. So even a machine such as the Etrac finds junk too. The ATPro is great, and the learning curve really isn't much at all. It is in my opinion the ONLY true professional plug and play machine out there.

Back
Top Bottom