Dual sport motorcyle+detecting

Plunder_monkey

I'm thinking about picking up a dual sport bike and was just thinking that would be great for detecting with 50-70 mpg and the ability to go off road would make for some fun times.I was wondering if anyone here does this?
I would just need a good system for carrying my gear safely and most detector seem to me able to break down pretty small so I don't think it will be hard to set something up.I'll most likely be using a AT-pro.

I commute about 40 miles per day via motorcycle and carry my md in the backpack. I take cruiser places most wouldnt. Dual sport would be nice though.

Even if you're just visiting parks outside of your area, it's totally worth it. The TR Taurus gets 24 mpg so I'm not sitting too bad. WOuld be nice to have an ATV though for those tough to reach places.

i've been toyin with the idea of gettin an enduro (street/trail) for gettin back and forth to some wooded detecting spots

Go with a Suzuki DRZ400. It is a great bike. When my arm heals up I am either going to get that or something a bit more like the Yamaha Super Ténéré.

Im thinking V-strom 650 good rode bike that is very capable on the trails

A ton of my friends ride V-Stroms and love them. I for one do not like the way they ride. just my opinion. But yes a very capable bike not to mention you can pick them up cheap.

The beauty of teaching motorcycle safety classes is that i get to ride many breeds. For all out dualsport the KLR is king but i can hardly ride one due to my 32 inch inseam.

The beauty of teaching motorcycle safety classes is that i get to ride many breeds. For all out dualsport the KLR is king but i can hardly ride one due to my 32 inch inseam.

Are you talking about that heavy tank the KLR650? I hate the new hard plastics. They break and snap very easy.

KLR 650 rider here. I love this bike and take it everywhere. :cool:

klrriver.jpg

I do exactly what you want to do I think.

I ride a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM with a 5 gallon tank and a dirt wheelset. I do a lot of off-roading and multi day camping trips. My background is pretty extensive in the dirt, I've raced MX and Enduro's for a good part of my life.

My DRZ with dirt wheels and 5 gallon tank:
a35c003b.jpg

The DRZ is the defacto motard, you can pick up an SM model for under $4k and outfit it with dirt wheels for less than $500. You could also look at a WR250r from Yamamaha or a KTM 690SMC, but they are pricier. I'm on my second DRZ if you're interested in hearing the pro's and cons shoot me a PM.

I recommend that you go look at ADVrider.com, it will answer every question you can think and 50-60 you would never have imagined thinking of.

Get out and go ride, it's good for you. I have a few bikes and ride every day. The only time I drive a 4 wheeled vehicle is when I don't want to get wet. I don't think I'd driven a car in almost 5 months until yesterday.

8a39e42a.jpg

dc069679.jpg

I have the Honda xr650L, I buy a new one every 3 years and Im on my 5th one, thing is that they never change. guess you cant improve perfection, except for the small gas tank, WTG Kawasaki KLR program!

I'm looking at either the Dzr400 or wr250.I want a bike that leans more towards a dirt bike then a street bike.I do a lot of woods and tight trails riding.I have a Harley Dyna wide glide right now but I'm kinda bored with only being able to ride around looking cool

I'm looking at either the Dzr400 or wr250.I want a bike that leans more towards a dirt bike then a street bike.I do a lot of woods and tight trails riding.I have a Harley Dyna wide glide right now but I'm kinda bored with only being able to ride around looking cool

I have had a lot of different bikes over the years and the ability to cruise 75-80 MPH on the highway and then spend the entire weekend exploring old logging roads and firebreaks is freaking awesome.

IMO a 400 would be ideal, 250's struggle at highway speeds and even running 65MPH for a long ride is pushing thier limits.

I'm going to give myself a aneurism researching this.Im really liking the DRZ400.It's easy to lower being inseam challenged thats a big plus.I don't mind tip toeing a dirt bike but on the road I would like a little more contact with the tarmac

Why do you buy a new one every 3 years?

I buy a new one every 3 years because at 3 years it seems that I can get a new bike and still get top dollar for my old one. besides they are cheap compared to every other ride, heck my Yamaha Rhino cost what 2 XR650L's would cost.

Back
Top Bottom