Would this email be the best way?

MattLock

Elite Member
There is a catholic church in my area that was established in 1964. It used to be a school. But now it's only a church. I would say face to face communication is the best way to ask. But am not a member the parish nor would I know who to talk to. So I decided to use the contact form on three website. Do you guys think this is something good to send.

Dear whom it may concern,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is_____. I have lived in _____ all my life and as a hobby I have been metal detecting for 5 of those years.

I am writing you this letter in hopes that you will allow me to metal detect on your property.

I love digging up old relics and pieces of history from the past, and am an active member of a metal detecting club. I have had lots of success over the years. Many people believe there is nothing to be found on their property which, after some detecting they are pleasantly surprised.

If interested, I would gladly show you some of the items I have found while metal detecting. I really enjoy the metal detecting hobby and the fun it provides searching for items from days gone by.

I thank you for your time and consideration, and am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions or concerns you have.

Sincerely,
Name
Email

Please note:
1. I am NOT in this hobby to make money, I keep the relics and items I find for display purposes only.
2. There is NO CHARGE to the property owner.
3. I only dig a small hole to retrieve most finds, and then refill all holes neatly.

Matt, think about it: What do YOU do with email from total strangers ? You promptly hit the delete button, right ?

You could try that approach, but .... if you ask me .... you're better off asking in person. JMHO

Matt, think about it: What do YOU do with email from total strangers ? You promptly hit the delete button, right ?

You could try that approach, but .... if you ask me .... you're better off asking in person. JMHO

True...I thought I fill out a contact form on their website and they email me back.

Get rid of everything from "please note" down. Never mention holes !offer them any relics and anyone who even thinks of charging to enjoy their hobby.......well, you get it. Personally, I have had some luck with a well written letter to a few places.

Get rid of everything from "please note" down. Never mention holes !offer them any relics and anyone who even thinks of charging to enjoy their hobby.......well, you get it. Personally, I have had some luck with a well written letter to a few places.

I thought of useing plug instead but I wanted to use simple terminology. I did find this letter on the web. I got rid of a lot of stuff and rewrote some of it so it could be as all around premessiom letter.

I think I will get rid if the note of they have that many concerns they can email me back.

Last edited:
Way too easy for them to ignore, or reply sorry, no.

I hunted a large historical Catholic church in my area, I am not a member of the church, but I went right to the priest for permission.

I agree an email is not the best way to cold contact someone. But if you do, I think you should change "I love digging up" to "I love finding" or "I love discovering" or maybe just "I love old relics from the past"

" I love digging up old relics"

I'd change the word " DIGGING " to something else.
ie: I like discovering old relics.... ( maybe)

just my opinion that "digging" will instantly make them think of holes all over the place.
Good luck with the permission.

Just go up and ask at the Rectory, or just go and detect...Wing it! Who Knows? It just depends.... Lots of old Church/schools out there where the school is closed down and its now just the Church/Rectory...Some had Convents on site even.....

Dress halfway nice IF you are gonna ask...I generally say, "I live down the road and need a nice quiet place to relax" I dont say nothing more than that...nothing about relics or holes...Just that I want to spend some time in this 'safe space' here to relax...

Its a good place to hunt though...Used to be Boy Scout meeting sites back in the 60's, of course Weddings and Funerals and whatnot..We used to get to go outside for recess and run around like mad...playing "smear the kweer", gambling, smoking, dice, pitching pennies etc...this is 6th grade mind you...but a lot of money changed hands!

Around here, I just go and hunt those abandoned places without bothering to ask...I just go on in...I figure I can speak the language if confronted by some frocked and curious HolyMan...

Theres all sorts of odd jobs to be done around these places if you are so inclined...you can make some extra decent pay if you are a handyman...

Wear a button up shirt, with a collar....buttoned all the way to the top and try to look and act gentle like Mr Rogers...you are dealing with an unusual kind of character talking to a Holy man...not at all a Working stiff or a Farmer...

When it comes to Catholic Priests, Do not appear to be a Protestant or a Lutheran! Roll your "R's" like an Irishman for full convincing effect..when digging a target, genuflect..blend right in....:laughing:.

Way too easy for them to ignore, or reply sorry, no.

I hunted a large historical Catholic church in my area, I am not a member of the church, but I went right to the priest for permission.

I was wondering who to ask, the priest would be the head around there.

I agree an email is not the best way to cold contact someone. But if you do, I think you should change "I love digging up" to "I love finding" or "I love discovering" or maybe just "I love old relics from the past"

Yeah I already changed some of those things.

Back
Top Bottom