Headphones vs no headphones

JOFO17

Is there a benefit to wearing headphones? I used to wear them but it is so much cooler without them in the hot summer sun.

head phones

They make the batteries in the detector last longer , they don't attract as many on lookers as the do with all the beeps over the speakers. You might try ear buds when it hot out ,i know some on here do. Also some of the places i hunt are near a airport the headphones help with the noise from the overhead planes. I will be going to the Philippines this summer and will probably try ear buds there due to the heat.

Headphones

Depends where I am. If l'm at the seashore, definitely using phones. The waves and surf makes too much noise.
At a park, I tend not to use the phones unless there are people around. Don't want to be annoying with all the beeps and tones.
In the woods, no headphones. I want to be aware of my surroundings. Animals, hunters etc.

Depends on the detector really.

Tone nuance,,,even hearin faint changes in audio presentation,,,wearing full headphones easier to hear.
Add some additional noise,,like wind,,car horns,,traffic,,sirens, etc,,,,much harder to hear.

Hotter weather,,,yes,,using ear buds,,back phones,,even smaller cup headphones will help,,,but can come with disadvantages too.

I do feel like the more comfortable one is detecting the better overall.

Not all headphones sound wise are created equal either,,some better than others,,and this can even be tied specifically to certain models detectors too.

So not necessarily a one headset fits all detectors and or people.

Last edited:
head phones

All i know is mostly what has already been mentioned... Loud noises in your surroundings
Not attracting on lookers....also sometimes the threashold and the detector beep will drive any dog within a 1/4 mile absolutely. NUTS!......then you could end up with the dogs owner
Looking to see what's causing the problem....not that you are doing anything wrong.
Just for me...i like a LOW PROFILE no matter what......
Head phones on ( and a really good quality set will be best) can bring .....on some machines....better depth
I know of several deep coins in the past....that....if i didn't. Have some good head phones on
......i would have missed.....my personal approach......i never detect without them
Even if they are hot to wear....
On a last note.....(and I have a garrett AT pro, for my main machine)...
I am currently saving up all my clad coins to spend over $100 on a very good quality
Pair of head phone due to the ones that came with the machine are ....ok....but i know i'm missing some of those deeper targets.....just because of the head phones.....
That's just me...
HH.

They are a must. Sure loud shallow targets can be found without headphones but its the deep targets that others have passed over, that only give you a faint whisper that you need headphones for. They are essential. The best detectorists (ie OBN) spend more time on their headphones than anything else.

There is a tremendous difference (IMO) to what you can and can't hear with or without headphones. Ambient noise is louder then you think, and can easily mask the whispers, or even some of the not-so-whispery sounds.

I'm not an earbud fan, but here in Florida, my ears would get hot and sweaty in no time flat with 'normal' headphones. I just bought a pair of Sony MDRAS200 Active Sports Headphones ($6 on ebay), and they're 'on ear' not in ear buds. I found them to be really comfortable, and the sound was good. Just enough ambient was heard to be able to know what's going on in my surroundings. Coupled with the Z-Lynk, it made detecting that much more enjoyable.

I wouldn't hunt without phones.

Back
Top Bottom