A positive no

MytBrednec

I recently did some research on county plat maps to find the owner of a field that I wanted to do some metal detecting in, there is an old road bed visible where they have moved the current road over about 50 yards and it has been that way for many years. There are remnants of an old rock fence along one side of the old road bed. This old road predates the civil war and I figured it might hold some interesting relics.
The property has been in the family of the current owners since at least 1880 as that is when the house is listed as being built. Using the plat map, I was able to locate one of the current owners who lives a few states away. I located his phone number via the internet and gave him a call.
Unfortunately, he was unable to give me permission as the family decided quite awhile back that it is was easier to just not give anyone permission so they weren't confused about who had given who permission to use the land.
And now the positive part! I was on the phone with this retired gentleman for probably 45 minutes discussing the history of the area and his family's influence on the neighborhood. Evidently, it has long been rumored that there is some kind of buried treasure either near or on their property. There is a still active cemetery next to the property that the family deeded to the church many years ago. The cemetery has also been reported to have "ghost lights" that appear from time to time. I drive by this location almost everyday on my way to work and have never seen any ghost lights. This gentleman said his dad was interviewed about the hauntings back in the 1970's and he had never seen anything either, but the rumor persists. His Dad and Uncle even moved the rock wall a few feet to try and find the reported hidden treasure and did not find anything. It's a very interesting area.
Even though I was unable to procure permission to hunt the area, I had a thoroughly enjoyable conversation with a man I would never have had the opportunity to speak with if it weren't for recently becoming involved with metal detecting. This kind soul even apologized for not being able to give me permission. I'll probably give him a call back in a year or so and see if he has convinced the family to allow me to dig! It can't hurt!
Thanks for letting me ramble,
Shawn

Good story. Sounds like you had a good conversation with the fellow and learned some more history as well. It could eventually lead to permission to hunt there. I would definitely give him a call back down the road. Better yet, if you're ever driving past and see someone on the property stop and say hi.
Good luck.

Cool! Now theres a quest! All that research right down the crapper? Lives a few States away? I'd take that positive NO as a green light!! Ashamed to say I'd probably give it a fast sweep just to satisfy my curiosity and see if its worth a call back...hey, anybody asks, you got the guys name to drop for permission, and like he said, he cant remember!:laughing::laughing: I'm bad like that though...not a good person to go by..The whole backstory smacks of an adventure too good to pass up!
Mud

.... it has long been rumored that there is some kind of buried treasure either near or on their property.....The cemetery has also been reported to have "ghost lights" that appear from time to time. ....

Sounds like a fun conversation, even though it didn't lead to permission. That's part of the fun of the hobby, is the paths it leads to, even if one lead fizzles. The people and stories are a great learn !

As for the "treasure" of this particular one: Just be aware that treasure lores passed down in families, are a dime-a-dozen. Especially when they start to be woven together with ghosts and such.

Hey Tom,
I agree totally about the treasure lore. I sincerely doubt that there is any treasure to find there, at least treasure by most folks definition. There is probably plenty of treasure by MY definition though. Somewhere around 10,000 civil war troops passed very near to this farm in 1864. It would be awesome to find, bullets, buttons etc. That is treasure too! LOL The ghost stories have been written about fairly extensively down through the years, but I am a naturally skeptic person when it comes to those things. If I haven't witnessed it, it doesn't exist.
It really was interesting to talk to this guy though. I ordered a book that has some info on the area that includes his family farm that I am going to send to him. I believe he will appreciate it.
Shawn

That's awesome! Maybe one day he will come around and say Crack a cold beer and go for it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom