Depth average for silver coins

Wasatch

On average, based on year of coin, how deep do you find them?

Here in Utah most the silver has been from the twenties through the sixties and average four to six inches in a grass lawn/park.

Just curious,

Mike

I'd say 80% of the silver coins I've dug from the 1700's & up have averaged 4 to 8 inches deep, maybe 5% where shallower then 4 inches & the others were deeper then 8 inches... Really doesn't matter much on the age of the coins, I've dug seated coins in the past & not 2 feet away dug clad that sunk deeper..

2 to 10 inches. Age won't make much difference. Only if the soil has never been disturbed.

G2M

From less than 1" to 9".On bare,eroded dirt by old trees,they can very shallow.

1"-5" around here, but that's about as deep as my detector can detect, so don't know what might be deeper.

4"-6" at my well hunted sites. The 1"-4" range may not be old enough to hold silver, or most of it may already have been found. Beyond 6" it starts to get harder to detect and identify.

average, probably about 4-6 inches. but there's really no set depth for any item of any age.
i've dug 1800's coins at less than 2 inches, i've dug modern coins upwards of 9-10 inches. it depends on the soil condition, moisture content, the type of soil, the slope of the land, the size and orientation of the coin, frost will push things around as will worms. so yeah, there's a "few" factors involved, lol. ;)
so if it sounds good to me, i dig it. sometimes i'll get surprised and find an oldie. :D

Pete

Calfiornia

I'de have to say 3 to 5 inches. Some one to two inches and a couple 8 inches deep, but not many. Funny how you might find a clad dime 6 inches, and three feet over, find a silver dime 4 inches deep?
HH
Harry

Back
Top Bottom