Q: Tesoro Vaquero & Pull Tabs..

Ictinike

Forum Supporter
Question..

Been trying to get out more and more with my V and I must say I'm learning more about it's language each time and can say after a 4 hour hunt today nearly every target (50+) was dead center of my plug and but pulling up off the ground I can gauge depth well but pull tabs are slowly becoming my bane :)

I'm in an old ball park that is still used for adult softball and I've been there now twice and while I've pulled a small amount of clad (1.30$) I can say I have 2-3x the pull tabs. Beaver tails so they are old and come up as quarter and the newer tabs never seem to discriminate out.

On the Tesoro Vaquero there is a notch for a Tab but it seems every pull tab, both new and old style (beaver tails) never seem to go off the dial and I can full rotate the discrimination knob without it touching the signal. Some of these I believe are late 70-80's so they are roughly 4-6" down but sound a solid coin signal..

Am I doing something wrong? I knew I would be pulling tabs, lots but I'm wondering if there is any tips on how to possibly distinguish these easier using my Vaquero? Regardless I'm digging much over the 5c notch just in case as tonight I was about to pass up as a pull tab and found my first spill.. a clad quarter and 2 times, in the same hole as a tab :) lol

Having a great time getting out there and I'm sure it will come, that big target, if my back holds up.. Thanks!

Also I found this on this or another forum and shows some of the notches that another V user had documented. For me it seems ~any~ pull tab doesn't discriminate out so just wondering if it's me, my V or something else?

Cheers! :)

Attachments

• VAQ Card.jpg
    VAQ Card.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,238
I have the same problem with my Silver Umax, I believe it has something to do with the soil-tab mix because the silver will disc a tab out where it should in an air test, have you tried air test with the V?

I have the same problem with my Silver Umax, I believe it has something to do with the soil-tab mix because the silver will disc a tab out where it should in an air test, have you tried air test with the V?

You know I honestly don't think I did.. I pulled all types of loose coinage when I first got it and air tested but didn't have an old or new tab around..

A very good point and I will do that shortly.. Lord knows I have enough now to test :D

So I did go back and do some air tests tonight and after GB'ing for air indeed the tabs, coins and whatever I've dug in the past few weeks seemed to discriminate out properly..

I guess maybe my GB in the field was way off? I mean I check it before each site and it's not too hard to master.. A bit of a high tone coming down towards the ground with the coil, it's positive so move negative and visa versa.

I'm kinda at a loss right now and thought my setup was good but maybe I'll completely balance on air as it is now and go from there in the field and see how things pan out. My only other guess is, which seems quite a coincidence if so, that each tab had just the right position in the soil it couldn't discriminate out.

More on this hopefully tomorrow night as I'm looking to head back there after work! :)

Anyone else have ideas, opinions or suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom