Non-ID Detector question

J

JohnnyG

Hi all.....
I have another stupid question. I am researching my butt off, trying to find another detector to purchase. I have used this mediocre BH for so long and I am not sure if it is the detector that sucks or if it's just me. But anyway... I am not necessarily going to replace it, but I want to try my hand at a detector that doesn't have an ID screen..... that being said. If I get an inexpensive model, (Tesoro uMAX is what I am looking at) how do you know what you are about to dig up? I mean, sure there's a discrimination knob... but you have one beep for everything that registers above that line of discrimination, so it could be anything at all... at any depth! How do you know what to dig and how deep?
Please explain this to me....
thanx :D

Johnny it is really not much different than when I bought the DFX. Yeah, it has the ID screen, but now I rely more on the tones it gives me than the visual display. It would require you to either put in a target garden and practice on that for a while, or just get out and do some hunting and listen to the different target tones you get.

You should be able to tell by the quality of the signal, and the loudness of the signal. Tesoro is an excellent choice for a non-ID tector and has a great warranty. I go by sound myself, I have had non-ID tectors for years now, last one I had was an Explorer. Let us know what you decide...H.H.:-)

It is just one of those things you have to learn. You can tell a lot about the signal by the sound, the size of the target, types of metal sound different from one another, etc. While you are getting used to the detector it doesn't matter, dig everything. That is the best advice I can give. I have used most detectors out there, and I really like the Tesoros, but the Cibola, Vaquero and Tejon have newer technology and hunt deeper than the umax.

The Tesoro line is excellent first of all. The Silver umax has been a work horse for some time now . The Cibloa is better and a definite upgrade from the Ace 250. Even if you have a target ID , you learn over time that you should dig every signal that "sounds" good. Your discriminator setting is the key. Set it where you're comfortable and most all targets set to be rejected will be. Even with the target ID you will set your disc control to a certain point anyway. Then you rely on the visual and sound but the response is the same. Also , a deeper target on most all detectors will be a lower sound volume wise and may also be shorter in width. This is the indication of a deeper target. Hope this helps. BTW , its not you its definitely the BH. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom