⚡UPDATED⚡Built a straight shaft with "a twist"

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
Couldn't get out of a hunt for a couple of months at the end of last year so looked at some ways to customize some of my gear. While looking through a second hand shop I found a good quality unused mop with a twist lock telescopic aluminum handle perfect to try out an idea I'd being toying with for awhile and if it didn't work no big deal the mop was real cheap.

I've been wanting a straight shaft that will fit both my Excal and DF so I only need to take one shaft with me but also I wanted a longer shaft for snorkeling on the surface in calm water and at the same time it had to be short enough to fit in my backpack to make a good travel shaft.

You're right, a tall order but the "mop shaft" works well. Have hunted with it for 40 hours now, 24 of those in water, not the best looking or strongest rod out there (the tubes are a bit too thin) but it's rigid, no sloppy loose connections.
Biggest problem I saw with it was sand getting in and getting jammed in between the two aluminum tubes but solved that by taping the joins so only water can get in through the top of the shaft where there is less chance of sand getting in with the water. Because the length is adjustable and I hip-mount the control box I only needed to drill one set of holes to connect the coil to the shaft and they seal up ok when the buttons are in position still letting in water but stopping most of the sand. I didn't fit a cam lock to the bottom of the tube because I tape it and seems to lock it tight. The only draw back is having to tape and unwrap the joins each time I set up or change detectors but usually hunt with the detector that's best suited for the conditions for 6-8 hours keeping the other for a backup or if the conditions change. Made the arm cuff out of some sheet aluminum gluing some closed cell packing foam on the inside. Also found that when setting up the handle it feels more comfortable for me if it's offset a little e.g. for a right hander move the end of the handle from the straight up position a little to your left. When going overseas I can save on luggage space and the other added bonus is saving around 370g if taking two detectors and only one shaft.

Like all prototypes there IS room for improvement and the real test is how long will it last, worried about that twist lock still gripping a year from now. Maybe carbon fiber might work better?
ANY ideas or comments, go for it...
And that concludes my presentation :lol:

HH

Picture61.gif

It's ok to have a detector on Shrine grounds but digging is a big no no.
Picture612.gif

Now this just go's to prove that you dont need to spend lots of cash on a straight shaft
set up.Have even made your own arm cup--nice one!
Where did the handle/bracket come off/from?

chop

Thanks Chop, it filled in the afternoon and surprisingly works ok. Used a carbon fiber end bar and a grip made for bicycles.

That works! I'm interested in the handle, tell us more about it, I would a couple of them myself.

That works! I'm interested in the handle, tell us more about it, I would a couple of them myself.

Thank Guys, Perry sorry they are called bar ends I think they are used on mountain bikes and bikes for triathlons. I got a pair of carbon fiber bar ends cheap on Yahoo auction, then bought a pair of grips from a local bike shop. Those bar ends were the most expensive part. But figured carbon fiber would last longer in salt water and cut down on weight, the clamp on the bar end is aluminum though.

The pair of bar ends on the far right in this link look about right for a straight shaft.
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=97997

Great ideas on the substitutions you used to construct the home-made shaft! Man, you are good with your hands... that arm cuff looks to be factory made. :thumbsup:

Made a few improvements

No real problems with the last shaft just wasn't happy with the look of it.
Found an other shaft the same type as the last one at a local hardware store for $10 with thicker tubing this time. Done away with the bolt through the cuff and siliconed it on. Found some foam with adhesive backing for the inside of the cuff for $2 enough for 5 cuffs and some adhesive backed film for the outside of the cuff for $1 don't know how long the film will stay put but worth a try. For the perfect cuff I would like powder coated aluminum.

dd058c29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom