A Sneaky Hunt Pays Off

vexhold

Elite Member
For those of you who have seen my thread regarding construction here in town, I have an update to make.

Earlier I was told by a city officer "That road is State property, I cannot give you permission to go in there"

Well, I kinda ignored him and tonight, after dark I went in.

I was almost ready to give up and was walking back to my car. On the way I was moving kinda fast and swinging kinda erratically, when BOOM!! huge high 01-45 tone almost blows my eardrums out.

I thought it was just reading the monstrous bull dozer next to me, but when I checked, it was only toning at the very top edge of the deep tire tracks made by the machine.

I didnt even have to dig, just grabbed the dirt from where it pointed, and in my hand was a 1854-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!!!

I quickly ran to the car and drove home to post this. It is not in the best shape, but I really don't care. I was wondering if there was anything like this in my area and now I know.

picture.php

picture.php

That is awesome! Congratulations on a beautiful Seated Half! I bet you're wanting to go back right now and detect that spot some more, heck, I wouldn't be able to sleep, thinking about what else might be there...

Awesome find!!! Like he said above, I wouldn't sleep I'd just be itching to get back there and see if I could find more. Anyways congrats man.

I am itching to go back...

What I am really wondering though is:

The ground where I found this is about 2 feet lower than before the contruction. Where is all the dirt they took out??? Might have to go on a mission impossible and follow some trucks, lol.

Gah, I think Im gonna go back down there...:lol:

Make sure you wear your black ninja outfit the next time! LOL!
By the way that half looks to be in awesome condition! WTG ! :D

As far as the condition, if you look at the front, there is that black streak. In real life it is a lot darker than the picture. Is there a way to remove that and clean it up nice?

I did go back down there for another half hour, but came up empty handed. :(

Oh Vex, That is really sweet. Great find bud. Amazing seated you have there. It looks to me by the pics to be in phenomenal shape. WTG man!! Keep your head down. stay below the local radar...:lol:

I would still by out looking for more.

And as of the officer if it is a city street the it is county owned if it is a state highway then state owned.

Technically, you didn't ignore the city officer. He just said he had no ability to tell you either yes or no about hunting the site.

Congrats on the coin! You could try the boiling water/baking soda/aluminum foil method to take some of the black sulfides off the coin.

Awesome coin, maybe you should talk to the construction crew about hunting it when their not working. Those guys are usually decent folks......Curt:grin:

As far as the condition, if you look at the front, there is that black streak. In real life it is a lot darker than the picture. Is there a way to remove that and clean it up nice?

I did go back down there for another half hour, but came up empty handed. :(

Beautiful Coin!!! Great find!!!......I like Black on my silver and always leave it...gives 'Character' to the found coin!!!....:cool:

If, "That road is State property and I can't give you permission to go there", then he probably doesn't have the authority to tell you that you can't. Very nice find.

Well, this morning, being less excited and shaking less, I did a more thourough cleaning and youre right, it is in REALLY good condition. Here are some new pics. There is still some dirt in some crevaces, but I need to get some toothpicks.

picture.php

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom