• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

One year in the hobby - 152 silvers and a lot of fun

David in DC

Elite Member
So I've been in this hobby for a year now. I got my first metal detector last year in the 3rd week in September, an X-terra 305. I got an E-trac two months later and took it out for the first time over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Below are pics of my silver, all oldies, and my box of trash. Trash is the majority of what I dug, I usually just dump it into a box when my trash pouch gets too heavy. I knew I had some old shotgun shells in there and at least one Tootsie car, and since learning about them on this forum found them more interesting and savable, so wanted to fish them out.

I don't need to tell you guys, the hobby is great. I didn't expect to take to it like I did, but now I find myself all week looking forward to the few hours I spend on the early weekend mornings. Admittedly, I also have found myself on my knees in the dirt, 5:00am, in 15 degree weather, thinking "This is fun?" :lol:

I joined the forum in December and it was also a great find. Thanks to everyone for all of your help learning my machine and the hobby in general.

I was very lucky this year. I didn't know what to expect coming into the hobby, and my finds for the first year surpassed my expectations by a lot. The coins are pictured below. I found no gold, I dig low tones occasionally but generally do not. About 10-15 pieces of silver jewelry, among them some nice vintage pieces. I am putting the numbers below for people who like numbers, but skip to the pics if you don't. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Totals (152 silver):

Large Cent - 2
Indian Head - 13
V Nickel - 9
Buffalo - 15
War Nickel - 3
Barber Dime - 20
Mercury Dime - 51
Roosevelt Dime - 40
Barber Quarter - 9
Standing Liberty - 3
Washington Quarter - 25
Barber Half - 1

Total for the year for my "honey hole" (85 silver):

Indian Head - 12
V Nickel - 8
Buffalo - 12
War Nickel - 2
Barber Dime - 18
Mercury Dime - 28
Roosevelt Dime - 15
Barber Quarter - 9
Standing Liberty - 1
Washington Quarter - 11
Barber Half - 1

Attachments

• first_year_silver.jpg
    first_year_silver.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,758
  • first_year_all_coins.jpg
    first_year_all_coins.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,784
  • first_year_trash.jpg
    first_year_trash.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,759
Thanks for the comments, guys. I forgot to credit two of the most important factors after a lot of luck...obsessive research and a very cool wife. Always have to credit the wife in case she reads this :lol:.

...at my current rate, it will take me 3 years to reach that total:lol:

I think you are doing pretty well, Dave, and unless lightning strikes twice and I find another virgin honey hole expect I will be right there with you next year. :grin:

Nice!

Wow!
I think I have a total of three dug silvers for the year...
That is amazing!
Great year, congratz!
And great to have you on the forums...the people here are great!
Good hunting!

Great year you have had! I found a lot of silver too but can't seem to find any barber quarters!:mad: Oh, Well I guess I need something to find next year. Good luck and finish the year strong! AL

Awesome first year man!!! Congrats!!! Look at all them silvers!!!!! WTG!

I started out with a X-Terra 305 too and really liked it, but the finds really picked up with the e-trac. That's one heck of a honey hole you have there Dave. I gotta find a spot out in the woods like yours. I'm impressed by all the silver but mostly impressed by the amount of Barber quarters you've found. Good luck this winter at your spot and hope you continue finding some great coins.

Congratz David!!:bowdown::thumbsup: That is a sweet looking pile of SILVER!!:shock:

PS: I like that you included the "junk" we all dig!!

Last edited:
That is really an incredible assortment of great finds you got there..With so many hunting nowadays it is just that much more impressive.

Congrats and keep up the hunt :D

Amazing year! Breathtaking really.

As a long-time coin collector though, you guys who throw all your silver coins in a big heap make me bite my nails almost!:no::(

David is the living embodiment of that saying "you get out of it what you put into it." I've been along for the ride with him a few times with my rinky-dink detector and haven't found a single silver, even in the same spots where he's pulling these crazy piles. He's got the equipment, the technique, and the friggin eye of the tiger. Amazing collection, dude!

Great job and the E-trac is indeed a Silver beast. Post a pic of your jewelry finds if you get the chance, would love to see those as well. Gold will hit hard at around 12-29 especially a thick man's band. Continued success!

Back
Top Bottom