Lead weight?

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I found this in the same area where I recently found a Native American copper fish hook.
It is made of lead and the war nickel is for size comparison.
Could anybody tell me if this is a Native American net weight or perhaps a very old game token of some kind?

Attachments

• June Nnet weight 1.jpg
    June Nnet weight 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 471
  • June 2019 net weight 2.jpg
    June 2019 net weight 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I've read where the French explorers in the 1700's taught the natives of Wisconsin area (Meskwaki) how to melt lead ore and shape it into items they could use including fishing weights. If you found a native American copper fishhook in the same area it could be!?

I've read where the French explorers in the 1700's taught the natives of Wisconsin area (Meskwaki) how to melt lead ore and shape it into items they could use including fishing weights. If you found a native American copper fishhook in the same area it could be!?

Thank you very much for that info, I will research it further now:D

The thing is that if you tried to make a fishing weight in that shape it would not be so flat. When you pour lead into an open mold the lead always makes this rounded surface like how A drop of water mounds up. That things looks like a distorted lead spacer that was compressed. You can still buy lead spacers and lead washers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom