3D printers and CNC machines

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Not that I would ever really NEED one of these, but I was thinking about researching them just because one of my old hobbies was lifecasting. And I was thinking of casting and mold making again. I see a lot of people using CNC machines to make designs and molds before casting final products and such.

Does anyone here use a 3D Printer or CNC machine at HOME? They seem very complicated. You are required to have a 3D drawing or something for both of them correct? How does one get a 3d drawing that is accepted for the machine?

I haven't done any CAD work since high school, and even then it was for digital drafting (architecture) and not products and such. Plus AutoCAD in the 90's was WAY different than it is now!!!

There are websites (like the link below) that have 3d printer plans ready to print or further modify. https://www.thingiverse.com/

As far as software, you'll find advanced/commercial options (AutoCAD) as well as simpler tools that are popular for educators and hobbyists (e.g., TinkerCad). FreeCAD and Sketchup are somewhere in between. There are lots of 3d drawing and sculpting choices, but with some you might have to process your design with separate slicer software that will create the instructions for the 3d printer.

If you live near a large city you might find a maker space or library offering 3d printing workshops.

Not that I would ever really NEED one of these, but I was thinking about researching them just because one of my old hobbies was lifecasting. And I was thinking of casting and mold making again. I see a lot of people using CNC machines to make designs and molds before casting final products and such.

Does anyone here use a 3D Printer or CNC machine at HOME? They seem very complicated. You are required to have a 3D drawing or something for both of them correct? How does one get a 3d drawing that is accepted for the machine?

I haven't done any CAD work since high school, and even then it was for digital drafting (architecture) and not products and such. Plus AutoCAD in the 90's was WAY different than it is now!!!

I in my younger years was a CNC Machinist/Programmer in the early days of CNC.. think 8" floppy disks.
In those days very few 3D options were available. About 15 years ago as an adult I bought a CNC Router / Plasma Cutter and got in to more 3D type work.
You should note that for the most part CNC router work is not exactly "true" 3D it is more 2.5 D .. UNLESS ..you add a 4th Axis which I do have as well.
The price has come down considerably and you can get into it "fairly" cheaply these days and can even DIY if you are inclined to do so.
I have also "dabbled" in 3D Printing and have a cheap one of those as well.

Pretty much all CNC Machines (and 3D Printers) use G-Code which is basically a co-ordinate system of the X,Y, Z, and A if you have a 4th AXIS and even 5th axis.
Next you need controller software to translate the G-Code and tell the Machines axis's where to move etc. You can get Mach3 which is fairly cheap to do this.

Your question about software to Create 3D.
There are MANY ways to accomplish this from VERY expensive to Free.
For 3D Printing You can always Download a 3D file from somewhere like Thingverse https://www.thingiverse.com and import it into the software that comes with your 3D Printer and start printing.. EBAY also has many STL files for sale for very cheap and you can find some really cool design that would take YOU hours upon hours to create so search "STL CNC" there.

If you wish to create your own you can either buy sophisticated software to do so. I use Vectric Aspire myself.
OR
you can research the free way using software like "Blender" or "FreeCad" Google "how to create STL files for 3d printing for Free"

Ok like I said both 3D Printers and CNC Routers use the same G_Code to talk to the machine. For 3D Printing you can pretty much load the STL into the software that came with the Printer and Go.. pretty easy.

For CNC.. once you have your OBJECT file (STL, OBJ) you need a Post Processor to Translate it and turn it into Machine language and Tool Paths (CNC) for me the Aspire software does this with the click of a button.. I am sure FreeCad and other free software does this as well.

Another way to Create 3D files if you want to "Copy" something is to use a 3D Digitizing Probe that you would hook up to your CNC and place the part on the workspace and for lack of a better word Trace it millimeter by millimeter..

I applaud you for getting into this Hobby as it is a lot of fun and When, you create something, it is really cool to sit back and say ''WOW I made that" so I wish you luck !!!

Key words for Google searches would be (STL, OBJ, Post Processor, GCODE, G-CODE, FREE, CNC DIY)

Last edited:
Did a little more digging and it looks like 3D printers for the home use are still relatively small usually like 6” or less. And it seems to be slightly more expensive because of the plastics or material you use needs refilling on a very regular basis.

CNC machines I haven’t looked into but seem like they allow a larger format and almost an endless media type from wood to plastics on the same machine.

I just wonder which is more applicable for the home hobbyist. I’d love to make useable items for the house and replacement parts which are smaller in size but I could honestly see needing to make things that are about 12” in size for the things I’d like to do.

Do you go 3D printer or CNC?

Did a little more digging and it looks like 3D printers for the home use are still relatively small usually like 6” or less. And it seems to be slightly more expensive because of the plastics or material you use needs refilling on a very regular basis.

CNC machines I haven’t looked into but seem like they allow a larger format and almost an endless media type from wood to plastics on the same machine.

I just wonder which is more applicable for the home hobbyist. I’d love to make useable items for the house and replacement parts which are smaller in size but I could honestly see needing to make things that are about 12” in size for the things I’d like to do.

Do you go 3D printer or CNC?

Without a doubt CNC.. I rarely use my 3D Printer anymore..

I’ve owned a couple CaMaster CNC’s. I used Vectric software. They are built in Georgia USA and are very nice machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of materials do these print with? How strong is it. Would they hold up for doing repairs on coils and such?

Most common filaments used are ABS and PVA
the 3D printer is an Additive Method where it ADDs material in layers building up the part.
CNC Is a Subtractive Method where it Removes Material.

As to your Question on how it holds up.. Depends on the Thickness of the Part being printed.
Like I said it "builds" the part in Layers.. many.. many layers. If it is thick it should hold up .. if it is thin it will eventually separate. I Printed a Cellphone case once .. which is semi thin.. It didn't last more than a month of hard use.

What type of materials do these print with? How strong is it. Would they hold up for doing repairs on coils and such?

Yes, it can make replacement parts for coils and detectors. I know of some people I used to hunt with that made completely new housings for their AT Prod and made their own coil covers and arm cuffs. Heavy duty stuff and that’s when I first got interested in 3D printers.

When I worked at a university, they had a 3D print lab and it was awesome to see these things work, but it took a very long time to finalize a product when printing started.

People make actual firearms that can withstand explosions and heat, so I think coils are a GO

Do they make home CNC machines that come bundled with software and like a basic ‘starter’ pack? Are their brands that are more reliable than others?

Back
Top Bottom