Contest ****please read****

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
as most of you know last year we had the "dirt fishing" contest..it went quit well and tho it was alot of work I had fun putting it on. Ive decided this year we would do a contest that will start in the spring since alot of yall where froze out last year towards the end. this year it will be the same with revamped rules,point system and length of the contest will be shorter.
but I wanna make sure this is what you all want? or would you all like a different contest? some ideas that Ive seen where a pull tab contest and someone mentioned a bingo type contest which I thought was really neat but Im unable to find the post and who came up with the idea?
so I need some ideas here...what I dont want to see is complication so dont post up 3 pages of proposed rules..graphs and all that other hoopla..just keep it fun and simple..so throw em at me! Id like to get this started by first of May or so.

How about a Friendly Forum Scavenger Hunt?? Relics,coins, jewelry,pulltabs,?? Certain dates?
Maybe find 50 certain things...example 1955 wheatie, 1967 quarter,silver ring, gold earing,but make a few finds very hard to get like a 3cent piece, or a franklin 1/2 dollar,...etc. Just an idea. Im sure people would help compile a list of 50 things.It could be a hundred things...I dont know....need more coffee..:?: Good luck with ideas.

Kris, I am willing to help this year to if ya need it. Sounds like a great idea! Maybe we could integrate a scavenger hunt in with it?

yeah that idea was tossed around as well and I really liked it but very few where on board with the idea...we could have one for experienced hunters and one for the rooks..{ie: vets find me a large cents/1920 merc dime/buckle etc etc...rooks...find me a 1980s era major brand bottle cap{pepsi/coke} 3types of pull tabs/a piece of junk jewelry..etc etc}
and like any contest we do its gonna be hard to make sure everyone is being honest..but we have a good group here so hopefully no problems.

Kris, I am willing to help this year to if ya need it. Sounds like a great idea! Maybe we could integrate a scavenger hunt in with it?

we could but like I said I wanna keep it simple and that will be like regulating 2contest at the same time..Id rather do either or.

Yes, I do believe simple would be better. I think a scavenger hunt might leave some people out, so a simple dirt fishing contest would be better.

I'm definately in favor of having it in the spring... It not only removes the freeze out, but also the cement digging that occurs during the dog days of Summer. I liked the team aspect that we had last year... How long was it last year? 3 months? If it goes in the spring, I think 2 months would be sufficient.

I agree that the contest should be no longer than two months.

It's great that you're asking for input this year...like last. However, several people (some of which didn't even hunt) complained about trivial things (such as the value of a pulltab) after you published the rules and scoring system. I think that you are the "Contest Czar". After taking inputs into consideration, publish the rules once and any whiners can just pout.

My issue from the "Left Coast" is that there are certainly very, very few older coins (such as a "large cent") to be found here. I don't know how to level the field. Perhaps one member from each side of the Mississippi River???

Regarding scoring...
There were a few contestants who absolutely refused to cooperate with you and Jake regarding the clearly posted scoring rules, and then complained constantly about their scores not being "up to date". This obscene, disrespectful behavior should not be tolerated this year.

You ran a great contest last year and Jake did a good job keeping up the scoreboard. I'll "play" by any rules you draw up.

The biggest issue tink and I had last year was complaints...i tried to do what everyone wanted and threw everything out on the table..everything was debatable before the contest but then once it started all I got was "why this..why that..thats not fair"..etc etc and then some folks just got to competitive like a million dollars was on the line or something..then we had some folks who left there partners hangin but where the first in line when it came time to hand prizes out:roll: but I think the majority had fun and I agree the last one was to long..this one will be 2 months at the very most. and that is a problem..you folks over on that side of the country dont have the coins we have over here..at least not as commonly.
Im really starting to think that a scavenger type hunt will be best...with a list of items commonly found all over the country and we will leave rare coins out like the large cent and what not. comments?

Why not just face value for clad? Any silver coin is double in value. Leave it just a coinshooting contest. Simple scoring....................................

I liked the contest last year, tho I did not play. I would offer the following suggestions.

1) allow a solo category. I don't get out too much, and it wouldn't be fair to partner who I was pared with.

2) Allow scroring for all silver and gold, not just coins. This would easily cover foreign silver coins without a hassle.

3) Deduct 10 points for each instance of whining and complaining :) Once the rules are posted, they are posted. It is good to have a contest czar who just makes the decisions.

4) I don't really like the idea of scoring for pull tabs or making the contest based on that, but I'm certainly not going to complain about it. If you have scoring for gold, people will dig pull tabs.

Why not just face value for clad? Any silver coin is double in value. Leave it just a coinshooting contest. Simple scoring....................................

someone just sent me a PM about that..I like it! be very simple to make the scoring sheet:lol: but like last year Ill get the same complaining "its bull crap that an IH cent is worth the same as a wheat!!!!:mad:":roll: I like simple and you cant get any more simple than scoring coins at face value with the exception of older coins worth double face value.

2) Allow scroring for all silver and gold, not just coins. This would easily cover foreign silver coins without a hassle.

i knew I didn't say that right. Last year there was a hassle of which sorts of jewelry counted. All I was saying, if it is silver it counts, so it could be a spoon or foreign coin or something. No hassles of is it an earring, does it count, etc.

i knew I didn't say that right. Last year there was a hassle of which sorts of jewelry counted. All I was saying, if it is silver it counts, so it could be a spoon or foreign coin or something. No hassles of is it an earring, does it count, etc.

yup I agree..and yes lots of hassle over that last year..I originally wanted it like that but as soon as I proposed it my PM box was flooded with "WTFs" and people saying "I wont be part of a contest where a gold earring is worth as many points as a $15,000 gold ring" this year Ill just tell those people "well then don't be apart of it":roll::D

someone just sent me a PM about that..I like it! be very simple to make the scoring sheet:lol: but like last year Ill get the same complaining "its bull crap that an IH cent is worth the same as a wheat!!!!:mad:":roll: I like simple and you cant get any more simple than scoring coins at face value with the exception of older coins worth double face value.

Maybe pre 1950 double face value and say pre 1900 triple face value?

dont know how well thatll work since the further west you go the less common pre 1900 is.

You know, the scoring system last year, wasn't all that bad. I didn't participate, but I watched intently. THe only real gripe I could would be to not only count a silver/gold ring and or necklace. Surely pendents, charms etc count as jewelry as well yes?

The items however I think were good overall. Having the pull tabs score for rookie class is still a great idea.

first off, i would like to say to everyone who had a part in running the contest last year that you all did one HECK of a good job for it being the very first one ever held. that said, i think a scavenger hunt contest would be kinda neat, and more fair than trying to score on old coins and their different "availabilities" across the country. if anything maybe add some older coins the the list like a merc or an IH, ect. just my oppinion though, no matter what hte contest is ill take part. last years was alot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom