What to use other than scoop?

egcampos

I'm just starting out and don't want to spend a lot of money on accessories.

What can I use other than purchasing a scoop for the sand at the beach?

Thanks!

elsa

I use the same shovel on the beach that I use in soil, works in damp sand and shallow dry. As the dry gets deeper the hole tends to fill as fast as I can dig, same in water. I have a dry scoop, but don't want to carry both. If/when you buy a scoop I recommend a good wet sand scoop.

Homemade is an option. There are metal and plastic feed scoops you can drill holes into. The metal being more durable.

1. Scoop a few plugs with a std garden shovel
2. Spread the plug out with your foot
3. Scan the spread
3. Sift with your hand

In the dry/wet sand, target recovery should take 20-30 seconds max. Start Youtube'ing video's and you see some guys do this in about 10 seconds.

The scoop's real advantage is when you are in the water and/or finding the occasional coin spill in dry sand. For dry sand, any scoop will work because you are just gently pushing through uncompacted sand. But wet sand and surf will quickly bend/break cheap scoops. Unless you are a fabricator, there is no way around the saying "you get what you pay for."

BTW, when I started out, I used a tennis racket to sift sand. Also used a steel mesh fruit bowl (used to wash fruit) that I found at yard sale for $1. Then I made several PVC scoops until I saved enough for the real deal. anyhow, I no longer care how people look at me when they see my funky assortment of tools. I use whatever works fastest for my hunting conditions.

1. Scoop a few plugs with a std garden shovel
2. Spread the plug out with your foot
3. Scan the spread
3. Sift with your hand

In the dry/wet sand, target recovery should take 20-30 seconds max. Start Youtube'ing video's and you see some guys do this in about 10 seconds.

The scoop's real advantage is when you are in the water and/or finding the occasional coin spill in dry sand. For dry sand, any scoop will work because you are just gently pushing through uncompacted sand. But wet sand and surf will quickly bend/break cheap scoops. Unless you are a fabricator, there is no way around the saying "you get what you pay for."

BTW, when I started out, I used a tennis racket to sift sand. Also used a steel mesh fruit bowl (used to wash fruit) that I found at yard sale for $1. Then I made several PVC scoops until I saved enough for the real deal. anyhow, I no longer care how people look at me when they see my funky assortment of tools. I use whatever works fastest for my hunting conditions.

I just got back from Target and my co-worker tagged along. he was telling me to use a colander....lol Thanks!

I just got back from Target and my co-worker tagged along. he was telling me to use a colander....lol Thanks!

Yup, it works....but you may want to drill out the holes. 1/4" holes for fine, sugar sand and 3/8" for most beaches. If you go 1/2", then small targets like dimes and earring will easily fall out.

BTW, thrift stores often have tons of these for like $1-2 each. Might even luck out and find a antique style that is a heavy gauge steel.

I made my scoops out of stainless bathroom garbage cans that I bought from Good Will for 99¢ each. They work well!

The problem with scoops is the shipping. We or at least I have a scoop or two I would love to sell. An RTG 6 inch aluminum with stainless lip and grab handle. And I also have a dry sand scoop to get rid of. But I'm not going to eat the shipping so they sit there in the garage. My kids will throw them away when I am dead. Anybody near Lancaster County PA that wants a great deal on two scoops feel free to PM me. I would really like to help these new people out, but like I said some things you just can't ship.

Last edited:
The problem with scoops is the shipping. We or at least I have a scoop or two I would love to sell. An RTG 6 inch aluminum with stainless lip and grab handle. And I also have a dry sand scoop to get rid of. But I'm not going to eat the shipping so they sit there in the garage. My kids will throw them away when I am dead. Anybody near Lancaster County PA that wants a great deal on two scoops fell free to PM me. I would really like to help these new people out, but like I said some things you just can't ship.

Yep..I shipped a RTG6 and had to make a custom box plus it was like almost 40 to ship it. :roll:

Inexpensive Plastic Sand Scoop

I have recently done my first beach hunting, and a scoop is a near necessity. I initially purchased a cheap metal scoop (about $30) with a 20" handle. This turned out to be a great back saver. I also got an inexpensive plastic scoop (about $12 - $13), which will do the same job, you just got to bend over, or get down on your knees. I pulled up bunches of coins with these scoops. I would at least suggest the plastic model............search around online and find free shipping, or PM me and I'll put you on a site with free shipping, on everything, always........

Attachments

• 20handlescoop.jpg
    20handlescoop.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 235
  • wap_450_58.jpg
    wap_450_58.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 226
I headed out to goodwill last night and bought a stainless steel can for 1.29. My hubby will be converting it into a sand scoop!

thanks for all of your input!

Stainless steel is extremely hard to drill...........good luck !

It really is about the hardest to drill, anything tougher and it really can't even be done with home owner's tools..

One hole is not the issue here, it is when you want to drill 20, 30 or 50 holes is when you realize you have a great task on your hands...

I have a drill press and still had a hell of a time drilling more holes in my RTG.. Slow speed and keep it lubed with oil while drilling.. Start with a small bit first...

<°)))>{

It really is about the hardest to drill, anything tougher and it really can't even be done with home owner's tools..

One hole is not the issue here, it is when you want to drill 20, 30 or 50 holes is when you realize you have a great task on your hands...

I have a drill press and still had a hell of a time drilling more holes in my RTG.. Slow speed and keep it lubed with oil while drilling.. Start with a small bit first...

<°)))>{

+1 ... I used a punch/press on an 8" design and it still took 3 hours. Then again, that is just the first run. To do it again, I'd stack several sheets and use a template. I think that would bring the time down to about 30-40 min each.

Not that tough on thinner gauge material. I used a step drill from Harbor Freight. I did use cutting oil to help save the bit, though. Made two scoops, and the bit is still in usable shape!

Back
Top Bottom