Question about using headphones vs. not

jmr7

Does the fact that you wear headphones affect your readings at all with your metal detector? For example, should I still expect the same numbers if I am moving my metal detector over a penny vs. a nickel vs. gold jewelry vs. silver, etc.?

The fact that I am wearing headphones shouldn't affect the readings, should it?

Thanks

Does the fact that you wear headphones affect your readings at all with your metal detector? For example, should I still expect the same numbers if I am moving my metal detector over a penny vs. a nickel vs. gold jewelry vs. silver, etc.?

The fact that I am wearing headphones shouldn't affect the readings, should it?

Thanks

Numbers will not be affected by the headphones. Your battery life will though. Headphones use less power. Likewise you will be able to hear the feint signals better with headphones.

The numbers will not change at all on target IDs.

Nectar is on the money! Headphones are an advantage. Batteries, as Nectar pointed out, could pose a problem in two ways. Improper battery type, not using the proper battery stated in the owners manual, like a cheap $1.00 store version, can effect the VDI reading and less life without headphones.

Headphones

That was one of the reasons I wanted to start using headphones is to save on the battery life. I only buy Energizer batteries for my F2.

I'm also trying to weed out background noise.

I just wanted to make sure that the numbers I am expecting to see or have seen before won't be affected.

***One follow-up question - should I turn the volume up on the headphones and the sensitivity down on the metal detector or vice versa, or does it even matter what level the headphones are on?***

The other benefit is you're not an obnoxious walking beeper. I have a couple friends that I used to go out with who refuse to wear headphones. I now refuse to hunt with them.

Volume setting of the headphones will not affect your sensitivity, nor will the sensitivity affect your volume setting. They are independent of one another.

Set the sensitivity of the machine as you would any other day, and adjust the volume level on the machine to your comfort. You will probably discover very quickly the benefits of wearing them, and then, like others above have said, you won't want to hunt without them!

Good digs,

Pawaide

I have a set of headphones, and to be honest ....... can't stand them in the S Ga heat .... can you say make it even hotter? Battery life not really an issue as I recharge once per week for an hour and stay at max. In certain parts of town wearing anything that might cut into your hearing could be very dangerous .... just last week one of the biggest complainers at an old base housing unit ... who moved out about 5 months ago ... was gunned down in his doorway ... Law enforcement counted 27 rounds from an AK, as well as 18 other pistol caliber casings in the yard. This was less than 2 blocks away from my site.

i would not hunt with out head phones

+1

I have a set of headphones, and to be honest ....... can't stand them in the S Ga heat .... can you say make it even hotter? Battery life not really an issue as I recharge once per week for an hour and stay at max. In certain parts of town wearing anything that might cut into your hearing could be very dangerous .... just last week one of the biggest complainers at an old base housing unit ... who moved out about 5 months ago ... was gunned down in his doorway ... Law enforcement counted 27 rounds from an AK, as well as 18 other pistol caliber casings in the yard. This was less than 2 blocks away from my site.

I use some wireless Rapoo's there not as hot as the bigger headphones and smaller to so you can still here around you.

The other benefit is you're not an obnoxious walking beeper. I have a couple friends that I used to go out with who refuse to wear headphones. I now refuse to hunt with them.

I NEVER wear headphones, and I have friends that I used to hunt with, and guess what, I refuse to hunt with them because they wear headphones. I think it obnoxious for a group of men or women to be running around with headphones on.
Sigh, even detectorists are becoming elitists. :no:

Exactly, and if it isn't thugs, how about animals?

Have to agree with this one. It can get a bit annoying hunting with someone who does not use headphones as you hear all of their signals and it can interfere with you hearing your own.

Have to agree with this one. It can get a bit annoying hunting with someone who does not use headphones as you hear all of their signals and it can interfere with you hearing your own.

This^

<*)))>{

Also with headphones, it is your decision... When that idiot yells from the beach HEY!!! I decided I can't hear those fools through my phones at least that's how it looks to them..

As far as sensitivity goes, turn it as hot as she'll run stable!

<*)))>{

I enjoy hunting without HPs and did so for a year or two. I'm thinking about losing the HPs again...I have lots of battery power and don't really care about being a beeping walker. Joe public can just lump it if it bothers them as I don't hunt that close to them anyway.

As far as hearing faint signals...Ive never noticed any difference with and without after using phones for 2 plus years. It sure feels great without phones.

If my detector beeps and my pinpointer then beeps, I like hearing them HP-less. I think I will go without on purpose next hunt. martin

I enjoy hunting without HPs and did so for a year or two. I'm thinking about losing the HPs again...I have lots of battery power and don't really care about being a beeping walker. Joe public can just lump it if it bothers them as I don't hunt that close to them anyway.

As far as hearing faint signals...Ive never noticed any difference with and without after using phones for 2 plus years. It sure feels great without phones.

If my detector beeps and my pinpointer then beeps, I like hearing them HP-less. I think I will go without on purpose next hunt. martin

You go you rebel you!!! Hope you feel liberated now!

:dingding: I forgot to add in my previous post, I don't hunt around Joe Public either, most is out in fields or deep in the woods, parks invite too many idiots and annoying kids.

I prefer headphones, for two reasons, 1. it saves battery life and 2. it keeps people at bay when you don't feel like chitchatting and/or it doesn't disturb others, but I always leave my head phone wrapped around my neck and my ears uncovered, though this is impossible with the ATpro phones, (they strangle me, and to wear them anyways pulls my hair out) so now I need an adaptor.

Back
Top Bottom