How Many People Coin Roll Hunt?

tony48

Elite Member
I was looking up some silver coin values and I saw some stuff about coin roll hunting-hunting rolls of coins for valuable, especially silver coins. I think it would be fun to do and maybe I could even find something. A google search came up with some good beginers information here-

http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/showthread.php?t=68593

So how many of you do it?
What is your favorite type of coin rolls to hunt?
What have you found?
Some general tips for beginers?

Any more good links or information greatly appreciated!

Do a search on this site for "rolls" or other keywords. I know last month there were a few threads regarding coin roll finds. I do believe it was even suggested as making a sub-forum for coin roll hunting here
thinking.gif

I have searched many rolls of coins... and am obviously the most unlucky roll searcher in the USA... I have never found anything of value... That being said, do not despair, on my coin forum, guys come up with great finds... I think it is just me....:?: RickO

In the first roll I ever hunted (Nickle roll) I found a "V" nickle and a 1925 Buffalo!

I was the one who wanted the sub-forum!

It is fun and exiting! Try it!

Okay, I decided to give it a try and went to the bank today, got a whole box of pennies ($25,figured I could get alot of wheats, just for fun), $30 in nickles and $30 in halves. Heres what I found, pretty much nothing

KEEPERS
Wheats-2, one 1952, one 1958
Out of 2,500 pennies how do I only get 2 wheat pennies?

Nickles- 7, one 1941, two 1953, two 1958, one 1959 and one 1960

Halves- Nothing, didn't really expect much because I only got $30 worth.

I got so many pennies so I could possibly get alot of wheats. It was my first hunt so I decided to get something where I could get alot of to keepers to keep my hopes up. Well that plan backfired. :(
Was it wrong to expect a little more than 2 wheats?:?:

I have searched many rolls of coins... and am obviously the most unlucky roll searcher in the USA... I have never found anything of value...

You can't have been much worse than me!! So at least you have that going for you!:lol:

man, tinky you are so lucky to find those coins, I would be happy to find those after searching through hundreds of rolls.

:tumble::cool:tony,,, u should have told me... that's how I have a nice collection of halves.... I just return my one's that are unneeded. It is fun.. Kinda like opening a pack of baseball cards!:lol::spin:

Just tried it for the first time today. $50 in quarters and $50 in dimes. I didn't get a single silver :(

Thought of you the "coin rollers" the other day and it made cents(great pun)
I cashed in my change 1100$ of change, thats alot I had to drag it in. As I was feeding it into the machine I thought, how many people just feed this machine and never look at what their cashing in? I can tell you as a fact none of my coinage was rare, but the countless others. I am thinking about it, just might try it. What am I looking for Wheats, Silver what else?

I'll give it another shot next week, and hopefully I'll get some nice silver or some wheaties. :yes:

Try asking for 'bagged' coin

I went to our bank this past winter and asked for a bag of pennies...I think it was $50.00. Took some time, but I did get through it. Can't remember for sure but I think my wheaties were about 60 in total.

BTW...these bags are unsorted!

I want to try dimes and quarters next, but the bags are $500 each.

I have tried pennies and the first time, I got 114 wheats in $20.00 worth of pennies. Then the next time I got less than 20 in $25 worth. You just never know.

Wish I had seen this before I cashed in over a thousand bucks in spare change. I've been saving all my spare change for over 4 years. But I needed the money to buy a couple of MD's so I've been rolling them and depositing it in the bank. Now I wish I had gone thru em first.

i think making a sub forum for coin roll hunting is a great idea
i might start coin roll hunting if i can find the time to do it

I have tried it a few times with Quarter, Dime, Nickel and Penny rolls from my bank and a gas station. I found 3 or 4 Wheats out of a bunch of Penny rolls and I found one Buffalo Nickel.

It is fun to try, but there isn't that many old coins still in circulation. I think that it is better to check with gas stations and other places that you frequent and ask them if they have any old or unusual coins. A lot of times the cashier will put the foreign coins and other odd coins under the cash drawer and save them. One gas station clerk told me that he had been taking all of the good coins. It can be fun to go through a bunch of rolled coins and it doesn't really cost you anything. GL

i think making a sub forum for coin roll hunting is a great idea
i might start coin roll hunting if i can find the time to do it

When I said something about it, the admins said they wanted to keep the forum strictly metal detecting.

Back
Top Bottom