One year in the hobby - 152 silvers and a lot of fun

yeah this was my first year too.
Have not found much but I do not get the time to get to go out of my neighborhood. Too afraid of the Sherrifs office locking me away or something.
Been trying to find land to hunt on but no luck.

Good Job Dave.

Makes you wonder how many thousands of tons of items that are still out there waiting to be found. I live by fields that have been walked on by Romans and Germans for almost two thousand years, and I can no longer go out without thinking about what I might find next.

Dave --

Just an INCREDIBLE haul for one year. You have done an incredible job!

While I had detected a few times since childhood, and owned an old/inexpensive machine for a number of years, I really got serious about a year ago myself. While finding no silver and only a few wheats for the first 6 months, I finally upgraded to an Explorer SE Pro in early April. Things have changed since then, finds have really improved -- but I am really trying to reach higher, to a level similar to the one that you have arrived at.

Funny thing, I have 41 silvers since April, and in that total are included two Walking Liberty halves and a Franklin half. You said in one of your posts in this thread that those two coins are on your "want" list. Well, I'm on the flip side...I have found only ONE Barber coin, a dime, and not a single Standing Liberty Quarter! An SLQ is near the top of my "wish list" (at least, the part of my "wish list" that is actually "reasonable!" :) ) And you have three of them this year, as well as a number of Barber quarters...and even a Barber half! Funny how I've found a couple that you want, but you have a whole pile of stuff that I'd just LOVE to find ONE of! :)

Great job, and best of luck over the NEXT 12 months!

Steve

Thanks all.

Dave --

Just an INCREDIBLE haul for one year. You have done an incredible job!

While I had detected a few times since childhood, and owned an old/inexpensive machine for a number of years, I really got serious about a year ago myself. While finding no silver and only a few wheats for the first 6 months, I finally upgraded to an Explorer SE Pro in early April. Things have changed since then, finds have really improved -- but I am really trying to reach higher, to a level similar to the one that you have arrived at.

Funny thing, I have 41 silvers since April, and in that total are included two Walking Liberty halves and a Franklin half. You said in one of your posts in this thread that those two coins are on your "want" list. Well, I'm on the flip side...I have found only ONE Barber coin, a dime, and not a single Standing Liberty Quarter! An SLQ is near the top of my "wish list" (at least, the part of my "wish list" that is actually "reasonable!" :) ) And you have three of them this year, as well as a number of Barber quarters...and even a Barber half! Funny how I've found a couple that you want, but you have a whole pile of stuff that I'd just LOVE to find ONE of! :)

Great job, and best of luck over the NEXT 12 months!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. This is something I notice too. In some cases it is a specific site or type of site that leads to certain finds (most of my barbers came from one site, otherwise I would have a very similar number to you). I recently pulled a walker from a park, but my barber was from a site no detector had hit before. I suspect that it is easier to find these big coins and therefore harder to find them in sites that have been hit over the years.

The SLQ's had a short run and that's probably why they are harder to find. One of the nicer coins we have minted IMO.

Good job on the Walker! I agree, probably they are some of the first targets to be found, when a site is first detected -- and thus they "dry up" from a site pretty quick. Plus the fact that, if you drop one of those, HOW IN THE WORLD does someone not see it in the grass and pick it up, before it gets buried in the dirt?! I'm shocked we find ANY silver that big, in places like parks, etc. Maybe in the woods or something where a rare drop might never be seen before being covered by leaves, etc. But in a PARK?!

Also, you are right about the SLQs -- very pretty coins. And you are also right on the short mintage -- only 15 years...never really considered that fact...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom