Looking for experienced guidance

royston

New to metal detecting and I am almost over the research bug...the conditions I will be in are in the (salt)water, caribbean beaches and inland just past the beachline transition...
I am looking to purchase 3 detectors... I would like 1 pulse, 1 cache, and 1 underwater; (1 of them needs to be a good all around detector)...
the options I have made so far look like this.

Pulse- Whites Surf PI pro; Minelab Eureka Gold
Cache- Fisher gemini 3; Whites TM808; Whites UlA-3
Underwater- Minelab Excalibur; Whites Beachunter ID;

Please advise or make substitutions (ie Tesoro Tiger or Sand sharks) or others if the pulse can replace the cache then please make suggestions, conditions also include beaches not heaviliy touristed, deep Treasure???, wet, gold, silver, relics...(low contempory trash) possible high historical "trash".

Thanks Royston

Whites PI pro
Minelab Excal
Fisher CZ20
These seem to be the most popular top dogs.
The CZ and Excal can detect anywhere,and go deep.
The PI pro is a pulse machine,very good in salt water.

Welcome to the forum and hobby Royston. Lots of good advice to be had here but not from me. I've never been to a saltwater beach with a detector.

The Excal is great in or out of the water. I use mine in the salt water,wet sand, and dry sand as well as in the woods there in Maine.

Go with your first 3 choices....Surf PI , Gemini and Excal. The excal can go under water on the beach and also on land. The Eureka is also a good detector but generally thought of as a nugget hunter. Since it costs more I'd still go with the Surf PI. Let me know if I can help any more in your buying decisions.

Thanks for the welcome...

I hope to be able to contribute to this forum at some point...with experience.
I do agree that most of the success involved in this hobby is on the user and the way they use the particular detector in given conditions.
I live on long Island and my girlfriend and I spent a very informative afternoon with the owner of a metal detector store, he discussed a lot with us and really laid the groundwork for us... we had no idea the complexity of the variables.
However given the detectors he carries we wanted to reasearch the options, and we may just end up buying the ones he carries but want to be sure, given our conditions, that we are able to get the right detectors for us.
So please keep the suggestions, experience and advice coming, this forum is really outstanding and looking forward to learning more from it. Thanks again Royston

Just a little FYI, the Minelab Eureka Gold is a VLF, NOT a pulse machine. Don't think it'd do so good around the water, either, unless you planned on sealing the heck outta the coil cover and the coil wire connection.

I've only had my Eureka for a couple of weeks, but it seems to be very sensitive.....too sensitive to use for coin shooting or cache hunting. Course, it could be I'm just new to it, also and only need to turn down the sensitivity.

My Ace 250 seems to be a great all-around detector for coins, jewelry and relics. It's a definite coin magnet!!

HH, ya'll!

Kajun

Back
Top Bottom