Upgrade

relichunter4206

Forum Supporter
I have been metal detecting for a few years now, and I never thought about or considered upgrading. When I first started, I bought a great beginner detector, a White’s Coinmaster, and a Garrett Pro Pointer. I have found some pretty cool things with it, so I decided to keep it for a while. Now, I think it’s time for an upgrade. I chose a new pinpointer, an All Terrain Waterproof Garrett Pro Pointer, but now I need a new metal detector. My budget is around $400, and I’m looking for something somewhat advanced.

Last edited:
Used at pro,xterra 705,Racer 2, all those can be had for $300 used if you look..Out of the three the 705 is the most advanced,not hard to learn at all,but just more options.
I like all three and it would be a tough choice.I think the 705 would be your best bet though.

I have done well with an F70, now called the Patriot at $399 new and shipped...with a 5 year warranty.
Very advanced and something you don't outgrow quickly, one model under the Fisher flagship F75.
Previously cost was over $700, now discounted.
Tons of settings, abilities galore, has dealt with any and all sites and conditions I have thrown at it and excelled.

Last edited:
My budget is around $400,

Definately have a few options...

Patriot is a solid machine and (as mentioned) is in your price point, NEW, with a warranty.

The AT-Pro/Maxx are in the same realm as the Patriot and Racer but the ATP/M offer you a detector that is waterproof. That opens up a whole lot more options for creeks and lakes. If you take your time, you should be able to find a used ATP in the 300 range. A very nice condition model or one with an extra coil can be found for under $400.

Also, you can look around for a used Minelab FBS machine like the Quattro, Safari, or Explorer. These machines utilize multiple frequencies and are fantastic for hunting mineralized soil or salt water beaches.

You should be able to find a used Equinox 600 or Multi Kruzer in the $500 range. Otherwise, a new Patriot at $400 would be a good choice.

On the treasure depot classifieds there's a Rutus Alter 71 for sale. I don't know the seller, but he's got a good price on it of $450. I got to use a Rutus on loan from TNsharpshooter for two months. It's a great machine. You can vary the frequency from 4 to 18 khz, it comes with both a large DD coil and a midsized concentric coil. Lots of adjustments to tones and tone breaks and such.

I currently use a X TERRA 705 AND HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE 2009 ALSO PURCHASED a AT Pro at the same time the 705 in my opinion is the most under rated detector ever produced and to this day it is still the most under rated detector on the market as far as I am concerned,when I purchased my 705 like I said earlier my wife and I also purchased a ATP at the same time what I found the 705 is a much deeper machine than the ATP and I am not saying in any way that the ATP is a bad machine at all,just itt and I never did mesh

the 705 at under $500 is probably the best bang for your buck I have never in the several years of use of the 705 felt the need to up grade to something better it would be a considerable up grade to what you are currently using

The 705 is the one detector they will have to pry from my cold dead hands when I pass I still also have the ATP but it sits all the time except when people come to visit and I loan it to guest

Basically

Your budget range is Low end , not Mid range, for a few more hundred the F75 would be my pick, or the T2, no since getting a low end machine only to later get one of these 2 machine's down the road, happy hunting , Earl

For another $100 and shipping you can have the AT Max bundle I purchased last month and used 2 hours.

Love the Xterra 705. I've hunted along side of supposedly better machines that didn't come close to the 705. I think it's a great value.

Love the Xterra 705. I've hunted along side of supposedly better machines that didn't come close to the 705. I think it's a great value.

was searching eBay today and the 705 is selling under $400 like I said earlier its the best bang for the buck rite now been contemplating picking up another 705 just to have and keep new in the box just in case my old one quits also thinking about picking up one of the digger coils for mine as I have heard great things about that coil on the 705 found my best find ever with the 705 and some would say it is a once in a life time find though not my deepest find it was my best and still is to this date have never topped it but that particular find could have been found with any of the machines I have including the AT Pro but I just happened to find it with the 705

Back
Top Bottom