I Guess This is Illinois For You.....

Lee1968

Elite Member
We got our property tax statement today, and it is $5100 for the year! It hovered around $5000 for years, but they finally somehow felt justified to break the $5000 threshold this year. I looked online and Illinois has the second highest average (behind New Jersey). Strangely enough, we do not have streets of gold, nor do our schools look like the Taj Mahal, so I am not sure where the money is going. I guess the politicians in Chicago need it, so we have to pay it. Okay, I feel better now, had to vent.

With the mass exodus out of that state, they need more money from those staying to keep paying off crooks running the show.

5 g for property tax? That's cheap for NY !
I am in the land of 7g and up and it's not unheard of to hear 80000 for property taxes alone!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I live in Unfairtax (Fairfax) County, VA, and my taxes, for a house my parents bought for less than 20K back in 1959, are about what you paid. The County Board of Stupidvisors says that they are entitled to the money and can spend it better than me. After 65, when I retire, and my income drops, I can submit a form and not have to pay the tax anymore.

-- Tom

My house is currently valued at $160,000 but assessed at less than that amount. My property tax last year was $3600 for the house and another $600 for my two cars. The town is going to raise that amount this year with their new budget which includes a raise in the mill rate. Homeowners insurance goes up every year. The newly elected governor wants to raise the state sales tax, state income tax, and wants to put a tax on plastic bags and soda. AND he wants to put up tolls on ALL major roads in the state. If I was young and starting out I'd probably move elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom