Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased.

Hi ! :tiphat:

Received the RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer today 5-28-2019, exactly as promised! I had ordered this item just two days before at Amazon.com on 5-26-2019 with Free S&H and a 30 day free trial of Prime), which I took but elected not to continue after the 30 days, and so I received the advantage of a lower price on the item with Prime and free two day S&H.....that was a good deal !

#1..The Pin Pointer came well packaged in a heavy duty bubble bag containing the PP in a separate cardboard box. Although printing on the box said a 9v battery was required but "Not Included", there was a battery inside the box, along with easy to understand Operating Instructions. I tested the battery using my Pulse Load Tester to be sure it was still "cooking" and it read 100%.

In addition, there was a notification slip in the box saying that I was randomly selected to receive a free gift of a digging trowel and belt-mount carry pouch in exchange for my product review sent to the e-mail address stated on the slip and I'll definitely do that ! :yes:

#2..I was very pleased with the design, build and quality of materials used for the GC-2007 Pin Pointer, at under $50.00 and with a Lifetime Warranty!

#3..After snapping the pigtail connector onto the battery, inserting it into the handle and screwing the end cap on, I air tested the unit on some sample targets, i.e. rusty nail, stay tab, all-copper Lincoln penny, clad Rosy Dime and clad Washington Quarter. Results were very satisfactory on all targets tested.

#4..Last but not least, prior to my purchase I had sent quite a few questions to the Amazon Seller RM RICOMAX to clarify the specifications listed in my post #17, on page 2 of Pryan67's starter thread titled "Tek-Point pinpointer...not too pleased" on page #1, and all of the RICOMAX Agents I dealt with answered promptly via e-mails and were very pleasant and cooperative during concomitant phone conversations.

Thanks and I hope this Review and my post #17 on page 2 of Pryan67's thread have been helpful to someone looking for a good Pin Pointer at a very reasonable price.

Toddb64

Have you used it in the "real world" yet? If so, how did it perform?

Depth, accuracy, etc? Any falsing?

Review of RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer just Received.

I should be able to answer your questions after my planned Park hunt this coming Friday May 31st with my brother, who did confirm he was coming unless we get rained out. (The first of our annual "Dueling Compadres" hunts whenever he has the time, or there is a special occasion, to come over from Indiana and visit me in Ohio.).

As mentioned in my post #19 on page 2 of this thread, this PP is a gift for my brother and I plan to give it to him on Friday for our hunt "in the real world" as you say ;) and I should be able to report on field test results by early next week.

Thanks for your questions !

Toddb64

I should be able to answer your questions after my planned Park hunt this coming Friday May 31st with my brother, who did confirm he was coming unless we get rained out. (The first of our annual "Dueling Compadres" hunts whenever he has the time, or there is a special occasion, to come over from Indiana and visit me in Ohio.).

As mentioned in my post #19 on page 2 of this thread, this PP is a gift for my brother and I plan to give it to him on Friday for our hunt "in the real world" as you say ;) and I should be able to report on field test results by early next week.

Thanks for your questions !

Toddb64

Sorry, I should have read more closely :) I'm looking forward to the review.

One thing I noticed is that it's not actually waterproof. Only the tip is, so be careful

Review of RICOMAX model GC-2007 Pin Pointer just Received.

Pryan67,

We got rained out, BIG TIME ! Despite a fair weather report that morning a torrential rain hit us no sooner than we arrived at a park in Mount Orab, Ohio on the 31st of May. The velocity and amount of water coming down was unbelievable ! :roll:

My brother and I had just walked from his car into a grassy area behind some basketball poles and took about two swings with our Compadre coils when the rain started, so we ducked under a picnic pavilion nearby, hoping the rain clouds would pass on. But the storm continued and got worse !

There were rivers of water on the asphalt trails and it didn't look like it was ever going to let up, so we finally decided to make a run for the car and return to my home in Georgetown, Ohio. All the way home we saw cars pulled off the sides of the road and it was raining so hard my brother could barely see to drive !

Anyway, I had given my bro the GC-2007 Pin Pointer as a gift and after a few hours of social time at my house, he had to leave and go back home in Indiana. So, we never got to field test the pin pointer that day and it will probably be some time before he can visit me again for another "Dueling Compadre's" treasure hunt.

Regarding the pin pointer being waterproof, I gathered the following information.

(#1) Statement in RICOMAX ad at AMAZON.com
The pin pointer part of the detector is IP66 waterproof design. You can sink the probe into water and detect whether there is metal in it. NOTE: Please DO NOT sink the whole body into water.

(#2) Link explaining IP codes (See IP66 in chart.)
http://www.budind.com/blog/2014/02/the-mysteries-of-ip-rated-enclosures-explained/

(3#) Customer Questions & Answers at AMAZON.com
Question: Is it waterproof?
Answer: The probe of the pin pointer is waterproof and can be submerged under water. But the handle is not waterproof.
By RICOMAX Seller on January 12, 2018

(#4) See attached picture of waterproof probe section from seller's ad at AMAZON.com. My personal conclusion is that the dimensional line indicates only the Probe, up to where the 3-LED's compartment begins, is rated IP66 waterproof and to be safe I wouldn't allow water to get any closer than approx. 1 inch away from the LED compartment owing to the possibility of water splash. Better yet, put the pin pointer in a plastic bag !

Regarding "real world" field test results, as the saying goes "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry", but hopefully I can provide some results in the not-too-distant future; we'll just have to see. ;)

ToddB64

Attachments

• Photo of RICOMAX  Pin Pointer  Waterproof  Probe  Section, 518PZaZmrnL._SY450_.jpg
    Photo of RICOMAX Pin Pointer Waterproof Probe Section, 518PZaZmrnL._SY450_.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom