Butch Trucks has passed away

hawgdawg

Forum Supporter
Butch trucks , co-founder of the Allman Brothers Band, has died at the age of 69. He took his own life in front of his wife with a gunshot to the head. My condolences to the family , suicide often leaves plenty of unanswered questions, but his wife may be able to answer these questions now, but still a tragedy non the less. RIP Butch.

Part of the unique dual drummer set up, unusual, effective and addictive.

"The two drummers melded their individual styles, with Mr. Trucks considered the straightforward, driving train rhythm player, while Johanson added his R&B and jazz drumming influences."

I was on a trip driving down to Fla on vacation from Michigan in the mid 70's and there were two of us but we took no breaks on the way down and neither got much sleep along the way..
We were about 40 miles away from our motel and we were done....exhausted.
My friend pulled over and said he couldn't drive one more mile.
I got in the driver's seat and I said we didn't drive all this way to sleep on the side of the road...I would get us there.
I started the truck and picked out the one tape and fast forwarded to the one song on that tape that would get do the trick...Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers...and I turned it up loud.

First the base line, then those driving drums, the guitars come in and we were off.
How could you not get energized listening to this song?

It worked, covered those last few miles totally awake and easily.

The Allman Brothers were just one of the many bands that weaved through my life as the music of my youth....and a cherished one.

RIP Butch...some ethereal band just gained a driving freight train of a drummer.

Last edited:
Damn! In the house and right in front of his Wife? Thats not good for all sorts of reasons...Was a guy here a few years back,, he took his swamp boat out into the big estuary, found a secluded spot and let fly...took 3 days for us to find him...still..not in the house...or in front of anybody...something like this should be done in private and out of doors if at all...frig...sadness...
Mud.

I had heard he died on the radio, but didn't know it was suicide. That's too bad. I had also been hearing some dates that he and his band had been playing recently and I think one was in Charlotte.

Back
Top Bottom