Mannix drives off into the sunset....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
From 1967-1975 Mike Conners played one of those hard as nails private eye types, had a cool secretary named Peggy and drove some of the coolest cars ever on tv.
In the era of 3 channels this was appointment tv...a rocky start in its first year and then a pretty popular show for the rest of the run.
Pretty violent too, he got brained and knocked unconscious 55 times and shot about 12 times while it aired.

The action was cool, the acting and character relationships were great, the cars he drove were a big draw for a lot of fans.

RIP Mr. Conners.

Attachments

• mannix_big.jpg
    mannix_big.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,778
  • 1_Mannix Dart screencap from 1969.jpg
    1_Mannix Dart screencap from 1969.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 5,257
Last edited:
We wernt allowed to watch Mannix...it was too violent for our tender little minds...Years later, We could watch "The Rockford Files" though...I learned the importance of carrying several sets of somebody elses business cards from that guy!:laughing:

I should bash you for being such a sissy.
I was allowed to watch it, the show started when I was 12, and no ill effects that I know of.

A list of his cars.....

Mannix's automobiles

The automobile was a focus of Mannix's professional life, and he had several of them as his personal vehicle in the eight-year run of the series. Those were:

Season 1 – 1966 Mercury Comet Caliente convertible (pilot episode: "The Name Is Mannix"), 1967 Mercury Comet Cyclone convertible (one episode only: "Skid Marks on a Dry Run"), 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 four-door hardtop then a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 four-door sedan after the Galaxie got shot up – both were Intertect company cars (one episode only: "The Cost of a Vacation"). In all other season-one episodes, Mannix drove a 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado roadster customized by George Barris, builder of TV's Batmobile from the 1960s Batman ABC series, since the producers wanted a convertible and Oldsmobile never produced an open-topped Toronado. Because of a change in episode run order ("The Cost of a Vacation" was the second episode of Mannix shot after the pilot, although it was the sixth episode CBS broadcast), the one-shot appearances of the Galaxie and Fairlane were after the Toronado had been established as Mannix's car.
Season 2 – 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340 convertible "kustomized" by George Barris with functional hood scoops, Lucas Flamethrower driving lights, blacked-out grille, racing-style gas filler cap, molded-in rear spoiler, blacked out tail light panel, and custom tail light lenses. The car was originally red, but Executive Producer Bruce Geller wanted it changed to a British Racing Green, which Barris did. (This car still retains its original red paint under the carpet.) A Motorola car-phone (a remarkably expensive and rare item in 1968) was installed. Rader mag wheels like those on the Batmobile were originally installed by Barris, but changed later in the '68 season to Cragar S/S chrome wheels. George Barris also installed his own "Barris Kustoms" emblem on the lower part of each front fender. No duplicate 1968 Mannix Darts were built; it is a "1 of 1" car. This car was used in both the 1968 and '69 seasons of Mannix.
Though a ’69 Dart was built by Barris to replicate this car in the show's 1969 season, the ’68 Dart was regularly seen during the ’69 season. (In the 1969 episode "A Penny for the Peep Show", both the ’68 and ’69 Darts are used in the same shot, to elude a police tail on Mannix, but no explanation in the episode was given forwhy or how two identically customized green Dart convertibles show up together.) In further tracing the car's history, the '68 Dart was reportedly sold to a secretary at Paramount Studios and then was lost for decades until being discovered near a ranger station in the California mountains. It has since been restored to its original Mannix/Barris condition and was featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines, December 2009 issue.

The '68 Mannix Dart and its intriguing history was also featured on the TV show Drive on Discovery HD Theater in 2010. The TV show reunited the car with Mike Connors for the first time in over 40 years. The car is currently owned by C. Van Tune, former editor-in-chief of Motor Trend magazine, who conducted the TV interview with Mike Connors and who also wrote an article on the Mannix Dart for the summer 2011 issue of Motor Trend Classic magazine. In that article, the Dart is reunited with Mike Connors, George Barris, and Mannix stuntman Dick Ziker.

Another article on the famous Dart was published in the October 2011 issue of Mopar Action magazine. An article in the New York Times (July 22, 2012) included information on the 1968 Mannix Dart and a recent photo of Mike Connors with the car. The Mannix Dart was also mentioned on Sirius/XM Radio's "60s on 6" channel by disc jockey Mike Kelly.

Season 3 – 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340 convertible "kustomized" by George Barris to replicate the '68 Dart: This car was totalled in a wreck soon after being sold, following its use on the series.
Season 4 – 1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 dark green convertible
Season 5 – 1971 Plymouth Cuda convertible, actually, three 1971s (all dark green with green interiors and black soft tops), were supplied by Chrysler Corporation, and all had differently sized (318, 340, 383) engines. One was wrecked, but later repaired. One episode the hood is raised, dynamite discovered, and the air cleaner reads 383.
Season 6 – 1973 Plymouth Cuda convertible (actually two of the 1971 cars updated with 1973 grilles, headlamps, front fenders, front/rear bumpers, and tail lights)
Season 7 – 1974 Dodge Challenger 360 Coupe: Two were built especially for the show, and had every available option installed, including the rare factory sunroof. Mild Barris customizing included Cragar S/S 15-inch chrome wheels, G60x15 Goodyear radial tires, and an upper body pinstripe.
Season 8 – Chevrolet Camaro LT

I loved the show Mannix as a kid!
I remember trying to mimic him,
the way he would run & chase bad guys down, with his coat tails flapping from left to right, side to side.
during the fight scenes, I'd be tumbling around the furniture and the floor.:D
Is there a network on tv that shows these old cop shows?
( I don't watch any of these CSI BLUEBLOOD stuff, I think it's garbage)
My dad was a big Jazz music fan;
(google the Mannix theme song it has that San Francisco jazzy swing beat)
gooogle searched for MANNIX Lalo Schifrin Who Also did the music score for the best ever car chase movie BULITT,
& Dirty Harry & many other movies, Cool Hand Luke, Mission Impossible, Jaws, and Enter the dragon.......:cool:
The car chase scenes, the cars that they drove in the series,& the California coast. Thanks for letting me watch dad.
Well R I P Mike Conners !
Mannix was an action cop show, that I Loved as a kid!

Last edited:
I just saw an episode of Mannix from 1967 that had the rock group Buffalo Springfield (Steven Stills). Title was "Warning-Live Blueberries". They're playing in a club until a fight breaks out.

Back
Top Bottom