Folks are stealing sharks these days

Aquariums with sharks are the new status symbol of the wealthy. Apparently, people are paying upwards of 1M to have an aquarium with sharks, just so they can say - "Look how powerful I am - I have the most feared predator in the sea swimming around my house". Of course, many of them have no idea how to maintain the sharks or how big they will grow (hmm, my grey nurse shark is now 10 feet long - what do I do?), or that they will often attack and eat their other really expensive fish. Or - even worse - many large sharks do not do well in captivity at all. It seems that the most popular request for sharks is Oceanic White Tip.

I read one article that spoke of a woman who turned her air conditioning off before leaving for a day (it was a hot day) and her leopard sharks died because the water was too warm for the sharks to survive. Her response, "I had no idea they were so sensitive to water temperature". I am sure this the same excuse they give when their purse sized dogs are left suffering in their Escalades on hot days.

There are also idiots who like to show off how powerful they are by hand feeding the sharks, which, can go horribly wrong when the shark includes their hand as part of dinner.

Back
Top Bottom