Discrimination and Notch

SWKDigger

Elite Member
If you are hunting an area with a ton of nails and you have limited time, about the only choice a person has is to discriminate out the nails and hunt the rest or use the notch feature. Normally, I would hunt and dig the nails then go back over the area and will usually find some "good stuff" that was being masked by the nails. So if you discriminate or notch the small iron, will the items under the nails still be masked? I am getting ready to go into an old home site that I may not have the opportunity to hunt again and I know there are nails everywhere. I have been there before I started detecting and you can see the nails laying on the ground. My first step will be to drag a powerful magnet across the ground and pick up as much surface iron as I can but I know that will only get a few of the nails there.

Masking of targets is a big problem! The best thing is to remove the nails or use a small coil and try to get between the nails!!!

I'm currently hunting an area with the same problem. I switched to a small coil on my DFX to try to pick through the nails as the nails are different sizes and trying to notch them out just wouldn't work. Good luck.

I run a Sovereign Elite, it automatically nulls on Iron (nails, beer caps, rusty screws, etc.) but will still let me know of a good target beside or beneath the bad target. I haven't played with the Disc / Notch abilities much, I run All Metal Mode on the beach with FULL Sensitivity and no Disc / No Notch, and I use my 10" Tornado ( DD ) coil. In the dirt I use my Sniper coil and run in Disc mode about 1/2 to 5/8 Sensitivity with NO Disc / NO Notch. Someday I hope to really experiment with the disc/notch capabilities of the Sovereign Elite.

I found this beer cap in the first few inches and the penny beneath it...
After the first scoop I saw the cap stuck to the magnet, still read the penny in the bottom of the hole.
So I scooped again and the penny was somewhere around 8 inches.

942322_10152758177545635_907017882_n.jpg

The Compadre's one of the best for the price. Set the disc where it's just a "tic" on the nails and you will find stuff under them.;)

Back
Top Bottom