Inspired by Glasshopper - went looking for dumps

yacorie

Elite Member
So today is miserable - pouring rain wit 2-4 inches expected buts its also 55 degrees so I decided to check out some spots in the woods. One was known to me and the other was not.

The one known to me, which is an older spot didn't produce much of anything. Its a very small dump area and I didn't bring anything to dig so I was a bit limited. I saw a broken John wyeth and bros blue bottle and a few pieces of embossed glass but nothing crazy.

I brought home a few things just so I didn't feel like it was a waste. A Curtice brothers preservatives bottle rochester, Ny, a slick clear, some type of iron fence plate and a ball jar lid.

The second spot is from the 40s the best I can tell - at least whats on top. This is in a swamp about 200 yards from a house dating back to the 1700s. With all the rain, it was flooded and all I could do was kick around some stuff. There were a lot of unmarked jars. I found one broken ACL (mission beverages is what I think it said).

From here I carried home more stuff, even though I knew most of it would be trash.

The coolest thing i found was this glass button. I only saw it because it was blue so it instantly caught my eye. The other items I found were 2 bottles that were produced by the Ball comapny (1 amber and 1 clear patterned). I didn't realize ball produced bottles. I found two Ginerale bottles - one from Diamond Gingerale in waterbury CT (embossed) and the other an embossed Gra-Rock bottle. A pair of these Certo bottles, a milk glass jar, a coffee jar, some random little fancy bottle, some patterned slick bottle and a bierleys jar from hollywood ca.

A fun couple hours and i'll hit them again since they are both about 5 min walks behind my house.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 200
I "Din't Do It"

Well, Jim - I'll PM you where to send the check :lol:

The Coffee Jar and that widemouth Bireley's soda are cool. As is the button. I would've probably missed it.

You may want to leave the Certos, ketchups, and the slicks though. Was all that on the surface or did you do any digging?

The older dump I was able to probe and move some dirt with a chunk of metal that was nearby. It’s in a small hole so I’m not sure if years ago it was dug or not.

The larger one was all surface find or moving leaves with my feet. I’ll be back to that one to explore more and also plan on getting permission to explore the property with the old house. I am friendly with the people that live there.

I’ll be more selective next time for sure. I brought home the slick ball bottles because I thought I was on to something since I never knew they made bottles. The other things I had piled up and just carried them back. Next time they get the pass

Back
Top Bottom