OKAY what's the secret to finding nickels?

johno97007

This month I've found exactly one nickel. What's the secret? I'm about to dig out the old Compass and go back over the places I've been. I'm also about ready to start carrying a trash bag to collect the refundable cans I could be picking up. At least they're worth a nickel.

You don't usually find as many nickels as you do the other coins, pennies, dimes and quarters. So keep swinging and you'll find them! Good luck.

no nickels

Theres no secret to finding nickles :laughing: it might be because they dont get used as much as other change. In my short 10 days of detecting i have only found dimes,and pennies and quarters. In playgrounds at schools you might not find nickles because the cost of lunches and snacks add up easier with quarters or dimes. Just my theory. Happy hunting.

Nickels are in the gold range. A lot of guys only dig nickel signals looking for gold. Maybe that is why there are less nickels found? I know on the salt beaches a lot of guys only dig nickel tones or ID.

I average between 1 and 3 nickels per hunt... They're definitely out there.

My theory is a penny is most lost cause no one cares about them. A dime is a close second most lost coin because they are so small, then the quarter and then the nickel. That's based on personal experience with finds in my area. I find almost as many dimes as pennies :)

Nickels on my detector ring as pull tabs, so if you want nickels dig all the pull tabs. I personally pass on the pull tabs and risk losing out on a few nickels.

Yup Nickles come in at the beaver tail and junk range as well as gold. Infact the 2 gold rings I dug with my Etrac have been Nickle signals since I like old Nickles and their my favorite coins.

On my CTX3030 I have a combined program where Nickles sound of a high tone above zinc penny's and wheat cents. Only silver dimes and above sound off a higher tone. It works great and my Nickle findings have gone way up

I pull alot of nickels with my E-Trac. There in the same range as the Gold and Pulltabs. I have pulled 5 War nickels, 10 Buffalos, 1 V Nickel, and 2 Shield Nickels this year so far.Good Luck

When my V3i reports a solid tone and a VDI of 19, nickels pop up. I find many nickels, but I dig my share of square tabs that hits 19. The tone has a slight break up usually when it's a tab. If you dig the tabs, you'll find the nickels. Some machines work nickels better though. I've been happy with the V3i and nickels so far. martin

I have found a good bit of them. I dig all good sounding low tones in the hopes of gold or old nickels. Still have yet to find a buffalo but have found 1 V.

On the Ace250, nickel usually means pulltab or bottle cap... so I rarely dig them. I will only dig nickel signals if I'm in a relatively clean spot where there isn't much trash (so I have at least found a bunch of nickels goodies.) Like some others said, I'd rather pass up a few nickels than dig trash all day. Also, I believe the nickel is probably the least circulated coin when it comes to pocket change.

Also, I believe the nickel is probably the least circulated coin when it comes to pocket change.

I agree with this statement. Think about it. If you're making change from some purchase, (and you know what you're doing), the most nickels you'll ever need to use is one. On the other hand, you'll use up to 4 pennies, 3 quarters and 2 dimes. So, in theory, there should be less nickels falling out of peoples pockets than the other denominations of coins, simply because there is less chance of one being in your pocket.

I dig everything and find very few nickels. I'm sitting at 37 for the year (not counting the shield, v's, buffs, and war nickels) and I am approaching 700 pennies, 200 dimes, and 150 quarters. Not sure why there are less, but there are definitely less where I hunt. Keep at it and dig the low tones.

Back
Top Bottom