• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal detecting in run down areas of cities?

hellomikie92

I hope I don't get yelled at for this topic. I was wondering if any of you has risked going to a high crime run down area of a certain city and metal detected?

A friend of mine did and came back with a good haul. about 40 old coins, and jewelry

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem (with this thread) as long as everyone stays civil and on subject! :keeporder:

I know a fellow here in Huntington who did and came back with a knot on his head and detectorless. Caveat, though, he was hunting alone and at night.

Good hunting in the ghetto. Don't go alone, take someone with a gun!
Never go at night. Smile be nice. They will probably assume you are a utility worker or
a cop looking for bullets.
I go places alone that I shouldn't, but it is usually an area where I can see someone approaching from a long way off. I have a certain comfort level.

I have detected around some not so good parts of lowell MA. I use my gut instinct. I started seeing some young adult males congregating and whispering, and I decided my detecting was done for the day.. I wouldn't detect at night in any run down bad area...

Good hunting in the ghetto. Don't go alone, take someone with a gun!
Never go at night. Smile be nice. They will probably assume you are a utility worker or
a cop looking for bullets.
I go places alone that I shouldn't, but it is usually an area where I can see someone approaching from a long way off. I have a certain comfort level.

Yeah thats why most metal detectorists don't do it. I mean there is tons of history in those areas, meaning tons of untouched spots, but its so hard to detect there, because something is bound to happen. I would, but I don't know anybody with a weapon or not that I know of.

I sometimes go over to East St. Louis but only on Sunday mornings when all the druggies are still sleeping in and even then I stay alert like a gazelle on the Serengeti!

I sometimes go over to East St. Louis but only on Sunday mornings when all the druggies are still sleeping in and even then I stay alert like a gazelle on the Serengeti!
Dayum, you wouldn,t catch me in E. St Louis at anytime of day. They have rapers they who rape rapists, and would cut your throat for your shoes. And that,s in the good part of town. Indeed, keep on your toes anywhere in that city. Changing the subject, have you ever ate at the lotta wok near the mall?

Good book. The Urban Treasure Hunter has a section devoted to tips on safely hunting those areas. Make sure your detector doesn't look like its worth 1000.00+, duct tape does and a mud puddle does wonders. Don't wear good clothing, camos seem to do well. Make sure the rest of your gear looks old an tatered, again duct taping stuff helps. Never hunt at night like was suggested. The best time is start at the crack of dawn when the worst element is worrying about crashing more than harassing. The other tip was excellent too. When the local crew starts to congregate and watch you then follow your gut and leave, but don't leave in a hurry. The dogs Chase the rabbit but not the tortise. They are probably waiting for better numbers or working up to harass you or worst. Concealed permit can be helpful to make them think you are a cop looking for evidence and always hunt with a buddy. It's less likely for something to happen when you are not alone. Hunt safe bud.

Sadly, in many cases, the run-down, gang infested areas of cities tend to be the older sections of the city.

Hell, I personally would love to hunt in places like Mattapan and Roxbury, as they were once pretty wealthy areas... But, it isn't worth dying for...

I routinely go in these areas all the time. I don't give anyone a chance to get near me. If someone approaches I speak up quickly and loudly. I actually tell them what they need to do in no uncertain words, might not be pretty words, but it works for me.

Last year, big long thread on this.
Mostly stayed civil, opinions about carrying guns, and pro and con opinions were flying.
Stayed civil for the most part, as I said...hope this one will too.
Really I had no idea a post like this was created. lol. Hopefully this topic will. Heck I doubt it will be 5 pages.

Just an old man that won't take any #### from someone in a place like that. I live in Ga also BTW. If you let or look like you will let people take advantage of you they will....................

Here's some things I have said to people.
A guy crossing the street coming towards me.... I tell him, don't you come near me! You better keep your ### on that side of the street. Didn't you hear me!!!!! He starts explaining something, I don't care! I tell him you do not want to come near me so you better leave now. He leaves fast.
Another one wanted to know if he could hold my detector.
I told him no one holds my metal detector, he starts bending down to pick it up lying beside me while I'm digging a hole. I tell him "Did you not understand what I just told you" You better get your ### over there by that building NOW or just leave if you know what's good for you!
Three older teenagers, I see there shadows as I'm digging a hole with my back towards them. I stand up and ask them WHAT DO YOU WANT! One bends over to pick up the detector and with my groundshark in my hand I tell them it will be that last thing you'll ever pick up! One bends over saying naw I want to use it. I tell him you will be making a HUGE mistake if you touch it. I raise my voice and tell them that they need to get away from me now, do you hear me! They leave...........
Don't take no #### from anyone and you will almost always not have any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom