14k from the junk pile!

Irons

Forum Supporter
PIRATE.GIF

Found this ring Saturday and tossed it in with the clad figuring it was junk. I found it by that lead caveman thing I posted earlier today.
I was dumping the clad into a dish and a dull Gold glint was coming from it.
My wife picked it up and said you ought to test this one it's heavy.

Sure enough I rubbed a sharp edge hard and it held 10k then 14k acid then 18k acid took it right out. :grin:
So I went out to the car and got my camera and rubbed it on the stone hard again with the same results! Gold! :cool:

Crude ring to start with not made very well and getting ground into the gravel for several decades hasn't helped it's looks but who cares? 2.6 grams of melty goodness. :D

Thanks for looking and good hunting out there folks!

gr1- (1).jpg

gr1- (2).jpg

gr1- (3).jpg

Nice catch! And I do my test the same way, grind her in fairly good, I figure if it is plated I will know.

Very nice! I need to get me a test kit. I have about 8 questionable rings from the water that I've been wondering about for a year at least

:dingding:I have had some gold finds in the last couple of years that were questionable at first. I have since learned that gold that's been in for a while, and in a certain layers of sand, stains in some of the beaches that I frequent. Congrats on an unexpected goldy!

It's a good idea to very carefully check one's "junk pile" once in a while!

Over the years a couple of "junkers" in my discard pile turned out to be keepers!!:shock:

Congrats on the save!!

:dingding:I have had some gold finds in the last couple of years that were questionable at first. I have since learned that gold that's been in for a while, and in a certain layers of sand, stains in some of the beaches that I frequent. Congrats on an unexpected goldy!

I have used your trick of rubbing wet sand on suspected Gold and it works!

That one looked so bad and rang like a penny so I just figured it was silver. It must have a lot of silver in it to have looked so bad.

haha lucky dog. you're ridiculous. tell ya what, send me all the rings you dont want ;)

Back
Top Bottom