First full on hunt since surgery

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
I've had carpal tunnel off and on for the past 30 years that I could live with, but after the feeding frenzy last winter with a string of good hunts my digging hand was screaming. At night my hand would only let me get a max of 4 hours sleep before waking me up with numbness and pain.

Decided to get something done about it and had surgery.
The surgeon said it could take 6 months to fully recover which was a bit of a worry.
Anyway three weeks after the operation got the 10 stitches out from the two deep cuts they'd made. A week after that had my first frustrating if not painful wet sand hunt.

Six weeks after the operation and with a few other hunts under my belt took the DF out for a fitness test before my hopefully final visit to the Doc.
Was planning on only hunting for 2-3 hours but ended up hunting for 5, finding the biggest plat I've found at this beach helped :lol:

2 hours in found a low spot that I've never seen before at this beach, rocks sticking up out of the sand. Got just a hint of a target, took me awhile to find it again, just tiny bit or so away from dead center and I'd lose it. After a few scoops in a sand filled hole between a couple of big rocks found a nice 14.7g hunk of Pt950 in the scoop. Yeah baby!!! Payday!!!

Covered the area and went looking for another low spot but couldn't find one so headed back to where I'd got that plat and :shock: it was filling in fast could just find the tips of a couple of rocks.
Just got lucky, the right machine at the right time in the right place :yes:

Even without the Plat, it was just great being in the water again and being able to do some heavy digging, man those zippos were deep :lol:

One of the best mods I've had done, hopefully the last.

Thanks for looking.
HH&GL

Zippos with silver from the hunt.

Been awhile since I've seen clay colored silver, real good to see :good:

Last edited:
Congrats on that Plat. and the successful surgery. Don't over-do it too soon though. You want to be able to keep up with the great finds you've been getting. Good luck out there. : )

Conga-Rats on the plat 18. :egyptian::egyptian::egyptian:

And VERY nice of you to take a break for a month so Stewart could loot your beach! :laughing:

R5

Great finds as always man congrats! :cool:
I'm having carpel tunnel symptoms too and I'm probably going to have to get it fixed this winter.

Congrats on the platinum! That carpal tunnel stuff stinks, had both my wrists & elbows done back in the 90s and it helped but not a cure... glad to see you're out and about and finding goodies!

Hopefully it cures it. Sometimes if you wait it can't be fully cured. I had the surgery and the next day I tripped over my cat and did a palm plant.:shock: Man that hurt! My Carpal tunnel came back. People don't know you can get it more than once. Watch the wrist twisting and leave S shaft detectors alone.

Good job on the play G... yours beast my biggest one by a tenth of a gram but mine had a channel set diamond in it...

I know what you meant by waking up after a few hours and suffering... I would wake up and it felt like my hands were in a vice being squeezed plus the numbness with a sprinkling of feeling like my hands were on fire... I did nothing but change the way I worked and haven't been bothered by my carpal tunnel in a few years.. no surgery sure I still wear my braces now and then... just started working differently with my hands and doing less repetitive things as well as using anti-vibration gloves.

Good job on the play G... yours beast my biggest one by a tenth of a gram but mine had a channel set diamond in it...

I know what you meant by waking up after a few hours and suffering... I would wake up and it felt like my hands were in a vice being squeezed plus the numbness with a sprinkling of feeling like my hands were on fire... I did nothing but change the way I worked and haven't been bothered by my carpal tunnel in a few years.. no surgery sure I still wear my braces now and then... just started working differently with my hands and doing less repetitive things as well as using anti-vibration gloves.

It does Plumbers in by doing jobs like replacing tub valves where you make a small hole in the tile and then use a bunch of force to break pipes loose with your wrist twisted. Mine was hurting all the way to my shoulder. I went to a good surgeon. My oldest sister went to a butcher and got her wrists cut wide open. She's had bad problems ever since. Gets acupuncture, laser therapy, etc. and still never recovered from the surgeon she used. I'd for sure check out the surgeons work you use. My surgeon went through my palms. Worst part of the therapy was digging for marbles in dry rice. Best part was the hot wax.

It does Plumbers in by doing jobs like replacing tub valves where you make a small hole in the tile and then use a bunch of force to break pipes loose with your wrist twisted. Mine was hurting all the way to my shoulder. I went to a good surgeon. My oldest sister went to a butcher and got her wrists cut wide open. She's had bad problems ever since. Gets acupuncture, laser therapy, etc. and still never recovered from the surgeon she used. I'd for sure check out the surgeons work you use. My surgeon went through my palms. Worst part of the therapy was digging for marbles in dry rice. Best part was the hot wax.

:wow: My surgeon went through the base of the palm too, sorry to hear your sister has trouble with hers... My rehab was pretty simple, there was none, I just kept working and it was interesting surveying & drafting with my arm in a brace & sling for a little while. Had my left hand & elbow done first then the right a month later.

Ronin, I hope you have a full recovery on the wrist,,,,,on the bright side, you find enough goodies and Plat that you don't have to hunt every day and still get your fill,,,,,,what a nice honker,,,,,,,thanks for sharing,,,,GL HH

Sweet and welcome back. Those finds take a lot of the pain away I bet!:yes:
Cheers
Doc

+1 congrats , I just had my EMG test and they recommend surjury L and R , hope my recovery is as good as yours . I have waited years as you did because of not wanting to miss work. My concern is I have heard sometimes the surgery does not work after so long . Let me know if it solved the wrist problems .
HH

Wow, I had no idea you were slated for surgery. :shock: Was wondering where you disappeared to though! :lol:

An excellent comeback though by the looks of it...great to hear you're on the road to recovery...probably something I'll have to consider one day too. Now we can all look forward to more crazy finds from ye! :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom