CTX resale

Yeah, I guess I was just pointing out that they do have pretty good performance.

If I were to get a CTX I would buy new for $2,000 and resell just before the 3 year warranty expires for $1,500 and buy another new one. ;) Would never buy one out of warranty or even close to out of warranty.

I should clarify that I'm not bashing the CTX either. From what I've seen and read, it's a great machine. I just think for the money, my preference would be to have dedicated machines as I've stated. I think I've got a solid all around lineup for the cost of a new CTX. (granted I bought 2 of my 3 machines used)

I Love my 3030 and will keep it until its Fried (Like me) !!! , Great talking to you again Dew & Cliff thanx for the Tips the other Day

Man ill be the first to bash the heck out of an Xcal and thats all i use. Why.... because i know they could be MUCH better. So im not a hater of the CTX. See thats what im talking about..... there maybe a difference in price for resale for one used in salt water vs for dirt. The only way to tell may be to contact ML. I dont know why, but if i bought id pass on one used in the water..... wierd considering thats what id be doing with it.:?:

FDK .... im not sure i remember who you are, but again thats normal too.:laughing: I hope it was good advice that helps you find a little gold..... well at least when im not hunting out there.:lol:

Good saying there ...... buy your self to success. My only complaint about those people is.... dont try and sell me by unrealistic claims.... give us an honest evaluation so we dont make the same mistake. Another reason to give a new machine.... especially a pricy new salt water machine time to prove its worth and fix the bugs they all seem to have. Once you know the strrength and weakness then you can determine if its what you need. Resale may not be a concern to most full time salt water hunters. Another thing is the companies using forums by limiting negitive posts or placing people to talk a high priced machine up. It dont take us that long get down to the real deal.

You need to get that info from a regular guy and not a paid spokesperson for them or any other detector manufacturer...

Dew... this forum allows its member to say what they experienced with these detectors... we don't delete or ban members for expressing opinions like other forums do... the only thing we ask is no bashing of the companies...

I have one. Take your machine and put a nail over a quarter and see if you see the quarter. My 3030 will show the quarter for sure. Thus making it worth the extra. And the the GPS. You may be right about recouping the cost. But the caped bust dime, many other silvers that I have found in places that were thought to be hunted out. Make it worth the cost to me.

I can do that with my $475 Sovereign GT.

Cliff..... i only posted this because you are getting more gold than i am and leaving me the pennies. Oh..... how many times your CTX been .... shall we say unavailble?:lol: Got to kid you buddy and say i dont like hunting behind you and that pricy machine.

You got that all wrong Dew, I hate passing up penny signals especially since one of them was 27 grams of 10k last year. Heck, the other day with you, I dug 32 pennies...... I'm keeping count of the 12-37's that end up as something else....I'm at 4 in 2 years, only one was gold....
As for down time on the machine, a normal user wouldn't experience the wear on machines like you and I get, and the CTX has more wear points than and Excal so I would expect more potential problems....specifically to answer your question, mine has been back (or parts of it back) to mother ML four times in 2 years. Twice for shaft wear (minor leakage fixed once too) and twice for faulty coils, guess that is why I have backup machines too....
Unless someone comes up with a "new and improved" water specific machine, I'll always have a few Excals in the stable and will always have a CTX there too. There is just to much information presented to you on the screen.... I'll be buying another one in the next year but don't think I'll get rid of my present one....sooner or later, someone has to sacrifice one for turning into a FrankenDetector...... let the mods begin.....

Cliff

1500 bucks, max. And thats with a week to field test with the option of a no hassle return.

If your gonna go dirty thirty...go new [call Bart at bigboyhobbies]. hh gl. -Joe

Its a ml, you will want that warranty.

Im just curious what you think the resale is going to be on a used CTX when the warranty is out? I seen one recently for under $1500. I believe it was a machine used by a dirt digger. That id say definitely would be my choice over one used in salt water. Seems to me they might drop a good bit compared to one with some warranty. Ive never really checked the serial number with ML on any used machine ive bought, but with repair costs and coil prices i likely would. I think if the trend for higher priced machines continues.... there is going to be a little more caution when buying a used machine. Or do most not care and figure ..... what the heck they all pay for themselves on a beach? Now..... wonder what the dirt digger thinks? Perhaps they dont have a need for repairs that salt water hunters do. As a dirt hunter i RARELY needed a repair and the condition of my machines were not as hard to maintain.

Dew

I paid less than $2000 for mine new in 2013.... So as far as resale goes, no idea I will never sell her.
And the price thing, go a head and buy 2/3 other detectors for the same price. I will hunt anywhere with any other detector and not be worried. Plus I only need to truly learn one detector real well....

Man ill be the first to bash the heck out of an Xcal and thats all i use. Why.... because i know they could be MUCH better. So im not a hater of the CTX. See thats what im talking about..... there maybe a difference in price for resale for one used in salt water vs for dirt. The only way to tell may be to contact ML. I dont know why, but if i bought id pass on one used in the water..... wierd considering thats what id be doing with it.:?:

FDK .... im not sure i remember who you are, but again thats normal too.:laughing: I hope it was good advice that helps you find a little gold..... well at least when im not hunting out there.:lol:

Dew, I think part of your statement about new/used is why buy something when its a brand new design? let the first people buy the and let ML work out the bugs,,,,BUT, the Excal still has its bugs and ML wont change them,,,,,however, do you really think the CTX is getting more gold than the Excal? IDK, but I am NOT passing them penny tones the CTX users and Tom in CA passes,,,,,just saying,,,:laughing:GL HH

I never see people leave pennies with the 3030. Mainly because of history. And to many can fall in silver range. Not that the machine isn't accurate. Its the chance of leaving something behind. I see most dig everything with it...but iron. You can do that with a bbs machine too. Question being which one will save you the most time. hh gl -Joe

Dew, I think part of your statement about new/used is why buy something when its a brand new design? let the first people buy the and let ML work out the bugs,,,,BUT, the Excal still has its bugs and ML wont change them,,,,,however, do you really think the CTX is getting more gold than the Excal? IDK, but I am NOT passing them penny tones the CTX users and Tom in CA passes,,,,,just saying,,,:laughing:GL HH

500.00 Bucks

if you decide to wait till the warranty expires is about all I would pay, the previous owner used the cash out of it , bottom line, people won't be stupid to know, you will be getting a new one, because of the warranty issues, the days are coming for CTX 3030 owner's, now Minelab has you both ways , your gonna sell it, or deposit high cash into MLs account for repairs, or buy a new one, any way minelab WINS :laughing: PS Crum you better have between 1 1/2 more towards 2 years left on the warranty to get 1500 now :shock::roll::laughing:

Really thats not a bad idea when you think about it. Sell it at the end of the warranty time, 3 yrs. and buy another one. I agree to ML its a win win unlike the Blue Xcals..... good machines and they only win if we send them to them for repairs. You may well find the loose cash wise between selling at the end of warranty and repairs on an Xcal II over the two years without warranty is same. What would you say ..... you take $600 hit to buy a new CTX. Repairs on headphones and coil for an Xcal is close to that. I dont know about the CTX..... but if you get water in the tube, forget about it constant issues.

Although i try not to put a lot of money in MLs pockets, personal reasons, resale sounds smart. Its like people who buy new cars when the warranty runs out. BUT would it be wise if you havent had an issue? Never know what the next one might be like?

IMO the CTX is not what some say. I know a few who believe they find more gold but that is NOT my experience. They think they find more gold because they stop using their other machines....The Excal is many times more reliable. Believe me, I know the problems with the Excal but compared to the CTX it is much better. My Excal has never needed service. My CTX has been to repair 2 times in less than a year. Junk.

Even my teenie weenie small coil Excal has found 5 times the gold than my CTX has during a set period. The CTX is a good wet sand machine. It is not a good water machine due to poor pinpointing and the drag in the water. It is hard to swing in any current. The display is useless in the water since you can't see it. The display causes a lot of drag unless it is out of the water. It will also start to false if the display gets submerged requiring you to lower the sens.

I know people who will argue with me but I can say confidently my small 7.25 inch coil Excal has found much more gold. I was told when I bought my CTX it would pay for itself in a couple months. Well, that is total BS. In fact my gold finds suffered. Plain and simple. I know how to use it, I can run it at full power at some beaches and have my settings right.

My little Excal is much better. That is the honest truth. I have gone back to my Excal this month and have increased my finds by quite a lot. I will be parking my CTX for a while and may consider selling it. If you buy one, consider it a wet sand machine. It will serve you well. Don't expect is to be a chest deep machine. You will be shipping it for repairs.

Last edited:
Sooooo now for the original question IMA..... do you think resale will take a hit on a machine used in salt water thats been in for repairs? anyone had any repairs done out of their pocket yet? Not sure repairs matters since it should be as good a new. Ive got an Xcal ll that I call frankincal because of repairs...... but she works great sincr Joe.... not ML did the repair. Id still ask good money for it. Im not qualified to say one is better than the other. But so far nothing has changed what I believed about it when it first came out. But.... I still dont like hunting behind people with the skills Cliff has who uses one. But then im in ah of Chris' s ability with the CZ to. So there seems to be a right combo of person and machine

Dew, I don't "think" anyone has had repairs done yet out of warranty, the first ones on the street should be running out of warranty around the end of May if I remember correctly. Should have a better feel for resale prices then. May start seeing more go up for sale soon too. The buyers ultimately set the price...what is their comfort level and are they willing to take the risk .

Ive had 2 CTXs for a few years now, wife uses one sometimes when she comes with me and they been working great (except battery went bad in a wireless remote recently :mad:) but we like them and have no plans on getting rid of them. Other detectors have problems and warranties expire on them too. Whats the big hipe here :lol:

So far out all the detectors Ive had the most problems with, it was with Garrett.

Out of warranty. I'd probably just not buy either of them.

I don't dive...yet...

In warranty...brand new...I would never pay 1500 for outdated technology when for just a few hundred more I could have a ctx. Keep in mind most dealers are not charging 2400$. The ones that do are giving a bundle. For an individual machine it's more like 1900 to 2100.

So it's no longer a guess or tossup.

Most that own a 3030 won't part with them. It's resale value will take its bigest hit when and if a new iteration of the 3030 is released. Thank god metal detectors are not like automobiles.

Dew are you going to get one?

Never say never.... but ive not seen a clear advantage in the water. As an over all machine there clearly is. Im glad to know some can get a new one under $2000. A little more reasonable. Right now I like the simplicity of my mod'ed Xcal for water hunting....not to mention the price you can pick up a used blue for. Have to give a lot of credit to ole beach nut for improving them to the point that even Kelleyco does the mods. Most water hunters settle on a machine that produces for them. Maybe the next generation ill get the itch. Im seeing a good many NEW guys with them. Having used MLs for a good many years I can tell the one who know what they are doing. The others......well anyone can get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom