A losing battle

Ah Man, you are making me cry! This is just awful!! Sounds like things "we" did to the natural flow of things have really messed up paradise!

Saw a documentary ones about this beachshrinking on Oahu, its just a race against the clock and mother nature probably will win :(
Its gonna take billions and billions to make up for what the ocean could take back in one week....

The situation is expected to worsen with man-made global warming, which is causing an accelerated rise in sea level

And that's where the article lost it's credibility. If only some caring politician could come up with a system of taxes/reduction of freedoms, it might possibly fix these beaches! Not to worry, they have our best interests at heart and the tax to pay for this will only be temporary.

rant/

LOL, what a bunch of silly, self aggrandizing monkeys we are! Thinking we can 'control' this thing.:no: This big rock did fine before us and will continue to do just as well after. Enjoy the ride...wherever it takes us.

Sorry to see Aqua, your always welcome in my beachs, they seem to have no problem adding sand over here...

thanx for the link.

The benefit that it might bring to md'rs (who try the beaches downstream of the jetties that are trapping sand upstream from there) is short-lived. It may last a year or two, but then eventually settles into a new "norm".

We had that happen here in CA, for instance: A jetty put out at Twin Lakes Beach back in the mid to late 1960s. It starved sand downstream at Capitola. But by the early to mid 1970s, Capitola just became a sort of pebble-cobble beach, very narrow width now, etc... But any good detecting days would have been only those first few years (if anyone had had a machine in those days to have done it!).

So the same for your beaches: If this erosion is new and fresh right now, in these current years, I'd be ALL OVER IT .

The situation is expected to worsen with man-made global warming, which is causing an accelerated rise in sea level

And that's where the article lost it's credibility. If only some caring politician could come up with a system of taxes/reduction of freedoms, it might possibly fix these beaches! Not to worry, they have our best interests at heart and the tax to pay for this will only be temporary.

rant/

:dingding: Same horse pellets propaganda applied to yet another situation. I also heard the economy stinks because it snows in the Northern US. :roll:

Fighting erosion is a long term loosing battle.The short term expense should be picked up by the hotels, they are the ones reaping the benefits.

That is a good point Z!! This thread is about the erosion, not some political rant!
Hawaii is such a beautiful place, it is just so sad to see it being destroyed!!

No doubt the oceans are rising. I lived on the water since the eighties. Relative lived next door since the '50's. Tide never came in the yard in the 50's. These days it does it every year. That house in the pic center is either sinking, the ocean is rising. or they took one photo at low tide and one at high tide. People who don't live on the water don't worry as much as those who do. I moved inland off the water. If south Florida goes under I'm heading to Virginia and taking up hunting gensing:lol:

I'm building a house at a beach in NC . Back in late December a small storm came thru and sucked most of the sand out from under about 4 or 5 houses , I think it ate one of them . They are dredging now to replenishing the beach now . I stopped and talked to one of the engineers one day , he said they were pumping about 10,000 cubic yards of sand a day onto the beach . To put that into perspective , its about 715 dump trucks per day .They started in late January and are stopping sometime in May . They run 7 days a week , 24 hours a day . So , they can fix it , but it's only temporary . You cant mess with Mother Nature .

Fighting erosion is a long term loosing battle.The short term expense should be picked up by the hotels, they are the ones reaping the benefits.

very correct, and the hotels at my favorite beach to hunt that just got 3 million dollars worth of sand was paid for by us tax payers in Sarasota County,,,:(GL HH

Back
Top Bottom