A roadtrip bucketlister

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Went for a multi-hour roadtrip this last weekend to the east side of the state with Buelride. Hoped to get away from the rain and maybe experience a little bit warmer weather. Got a couple of hours of hunting in on Friday evening before dark at a nice elderly lady's yard. Not much there, except the old Timex watch down about 4 - 5 inches. Sad to say this Timex took the lickin', but didn't keep on tickin'. Still an interesting find in the dirt.
Saturday we got up raring to go, and wouldn't you know it - raining cats & dogs. It rained 'til noon and we got soaked. Worked mostly curbstrips, and were generally disappointed in the lack of worthwhile targets. In the late afternoon we finally dried out and got on some more productive permissions with at least wheats. One yard finally produced a couple Rosies for me, I found a 1906 Indian in one curbstrip and a last gasp pass at another before we wrapped up in the evening gave me a GW.
Sunday was beautiful, and we again started off on curbstrips at about 8am. I found a "V" nickel in a yard that had nothing else and found a no date Buff not far from there. We were near the end of our allotted time but got a permission on a nice corner lot. Sadly, again there was a dearth of decent signals, with the exception of one 33-34 on the Nox. Resigned to the likelihood that it was another old brass sprinkler head, I cut a plug and popped it out of the ground, fully expecting to see the sprinkler head exposed. Instead, this beautiful silver reeded edged round slipped out of the plug. At first I couldn't tell exactly what it was because of the dirt on the surface, but when I flipped it over the rays on Liberty's head made it clear that I had uncovered a Peace Dollar (1925) in great condition (probably nearly AU, but sadly got rubbed). Happy to say that Paul was also there to share the experience and quick with congratulations. it's noteworthy that he was also present when I found my Morgan Dollar in Missoula.
In the final tally, I ended up with a Peace Dollar, GW quarter, 2 Rosies, 23 wheats, the oldest being a 1912S, a 1902 "V" nickel, a dateless Buff, a 1906 Indian in pretty good condition, a couple pieces of junk jewelry, a Roi Tan car charm, a Timex watch, what looks like it could have been a decorative bookmark, an old button, a whole bunch of Memorials and clad. I'll leave it to Paul to document his finds as he sees fit. In the end, a fantastic trip with a great hunting partner and a wonderful time.
Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• 20220515_114203.jpg
    20220515_114203.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 20220515_114151.jpg
    20220515_114151.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20220516_092243.jpg
    20220516_092243.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 20220516_092758.jpg
    20220516_092758.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 213
nice work!

i think it was John Cameron Swayze who did the Takes a Licking ad for Timex watches. i remember one ad where they strapped one on the propeller of a boat motor and ran the motor in a barrel.

Awesome outing and write up. Peace Dollar! And all the others. Thanks for posting!

Thanks SW. Nice to fill in another check mark on the bucket list.

nice work!

i think it was John Cameron Swayze who did the Takes a Licking ad for Timex watches. i remember one ad where they strapped one on the propeller of a boat motor and ran the motor in a barrel.

Thank you John. Those commercials were always interesting. Too bad it couldn't take 30 or 40 years in the ground. That would have been sweet.

Sweet! I'm taking a few road trips this summer and taking the detector along. I don't expect anything other than a good time, but if a Peace Dollar found its way under my coil I sure wouldn't complain.

Congrats! The Peace dollar or Morgan dollar would both be dream finds for me. Maybe one of these days it will happen.

Sweet! I'm taking a few road trips this summer and taking the detector along. I don't expect anything other than a good time, but if a Peace Dollar found its way under my coil I sure wouldn't complain.

Enjoy your trips, and I hope you have some good luck. Some of the least likely places hold the best surprises.

Congrats! The Peace dollar or Morgan dollar would both be dream finds for me. Maybe one of these days it will happen.

Thanks. Both of the silver dollars I have found were completely unexpected. You get so used to those large sized high tones being a piece of trash that it comes as a shock when you actually find something good.

Muy Bueno Senor Gale! Wally World is one of the oldest towns in WA State, a good idea for you and Paul to give it a try. Funny, I was in Kent WA at a bottle and insulator show at the Kent Commons. Fri/Sat were kinda miserable weather, but glad you got a nice Sunday! Congrats on all the goodies!

Muy Bueno Senor Gale! Wally World is one of the oldest towns in WA State, a good idea for you and Paul to give it a try. Funny, I was in Kent WA at a bottle and insulator show at the Kent Commons. Fri/Sat were kinda miserable weather, but glad you got a nice Sunday! Congrats on all the goodies!

Thanks David. Had actually thought about giving you a call to see if you were interested in meeting us. Too bad it wasn't the same quality of experience you hosted for us in Missoula. Hope you can get on some good stuff in your future hunts!

Thanks Gale! Hope to get out this week at least once, has been a really slow year so far with cold weather and a lot of work!

Wow, looks like you guys had a great trip. Congrats on the Peace Dollar and all the other great finds. Love the old police car, any info on it ? You guys sure have a knack for digging silver dollars. Good luck. Mark

nice work!

Do you remember Gary Gilmore wanted to wear one for his execution ? A hustler to the end. Lets do it.

Congratulations Gale, always a pleasure to witness your "mind-blowing" finds. It was a worth while trip....I packed away my silver finds already so no post from me.

Wow, looks like you guys had a great trip. Congrats on the Peace Dollar and all the other great finds. Love the old police car, any info on it ? You guys sure have a knack for digging silver dollars. Good luck. Mark

Appreciate your comments Mark. The police car was apparently given out as a promotional item by Roi Tan Cigars sometime around 1940. Just another interesting piece of history that we get to uncover with this hobby.

Congratulations Gale, always a pleasure to witness your "mind-blowing" finds. It was a worth while trip....I packed away my silver finds already so no post from me.

Thanks Paul. Hoping I'm going to witness that Seated you'll recover one of these days. You still get bragging rights for the 9 silvers you recovered. We had a great time and I'm still amazed that every permission we asked for, we got. Nice to know there are still so many decent folks out there.

Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you Digger.

Wow, we both found a 25 Peace dollar a week apart! What are the odds of that? Yours appears to be as gorgeous as mine. Nice hunting Gale! đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom