New member looking for other detectorists

DetectingWannab

Hello everyone,

I recently joined and am looking for other more experienced members who live in or near St Augustine, Florida.
I have the gear and desire to get out there but am somewhat overwhelmed with all of the discussion around seeking permission.
I have a Minelab Equinox 800 and would like to pal up with someone familiar that would be willing to help me learn all about how to set it up.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!!

Welcome to the forum from Central MA! Plenty of FL members on here, with lots of experience. I'm sure you will hear from some shortly.

DW, welcome to the hobby and the forum from Pittsburgh, Pa. Here's the thing, most old hunters have worked long and hard to find a good spot or two and usually don't share those spots except with maybe a hunting buddy. My advice, do some research and invite a experienced 800 user to help you with the learning curve. Either that or watch a few youtube videos and learn as you go. Not trying to sound harsh here but the reality is its a dog eat dog world and you may need to bring a milkbone to the party. Good luck. Mark

DW, welcome to the hobby and the forum from Pittsburgh, Pa. Here's the thing, most old hunters have worked long and hard to find a good spot or two and usually don't share those spots except with maybe a hunting buddy. My advice, do some research and invite a experienced 800 user to help you with the learning curve. Either that or watch a few youtube videos and learn as you go. Not trying to sound harsh here but the reality is its a dog eat dog world and you may need to bring a milkbone to the party. Good luck. Mark

Yep, good post.

Keep in mine OP that people continually come here seeking others to do the leg work for them. You can tell how dedicated they were to detecting, because they make 1 or 2 posts, and since no one will provide them a place to hunt, they simply give up and never post again.

It's no easier for them than it is for you to secure permissions, and places to detect. Start in your own yard family and friends generally don't have a problem with letting you detect theirs.

There's a Board here strictly pertaining to permissions:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Perhaps you'd be better off just asking someone local, and familiar with your 800, to meet you at a local park, or other public spot to help you familiarize yourself with your detector, as well as the proper way to recover a target.

As mentioned in the quoted post above, YouTube can be helpful, as can this site. Don't hesitate to ask as there are many here familiar with the 800, but read through your owners manual a few times, and be specific in your questions.

Hope you stick around, and put forth the effort from learning your detector, to gaining permissions. It's a fun hobby and a good way to enjoy the outdoors.

You live very close to many beaches and most are public. Hunting beaches can be very rewarding.
"gene"

Hello everyone,

I recently joined and am looking for other more experienced members who live in or near St Augustine, Florida.
I have the gear and desire to get out there but am somewhat overwhelmed with all of the discussion around seeking permission.
I have a Minelab Equinox 800 and would like to pal up with someone familiar that would be willing to help me learn all about how to set it up.

DW, you haven't been back since posting. If it's because you feel somewhat embarrassed, don't. It's not an uncommon thing for new members to ask, as they really don't know better.

By not hanging around, then it does in fact seem like you were just here for the work/sites of others.

If it's the first, then come back and ask questions.

If its the second, well Curly Bill comes to mind :lol:

Hello, I'm close by but new to the area myself...and I have an Equinox 800 as well. I'm not much of a beach hunter, mostly a land hunter. I've started to do some research and have a few leads to check out. I've been detecting off and on for almost 50 years! The Equinox is a great machine and not too difficult to learn the basics.

I'll PM you if you like.

HH

Hello everyone,

Hello, I'm close by but new to the area myself...and I have an Equinox 800 as well. I'm not much of a beach hunter, mostly a land hunter. I've started to do some research and have a few leads to check out. I've been detecting off and on for almost 50 years! The Equinox is a great machine and not too difficult to learn the basics.

I'll PM you if you like.

HH

Nice of you to offer, hope he sees this and you hear back from him.

Back
Top Bottom