Moving on V3I to ctx3030

Coast

Well it looks as if it is time to move on. I started with the whites dfx, changed to the V3I and now on to the CTX3030. After dedicating 25 percent of my brain to the V3I I have about another 25 percent left for the 3030. I love the V3I but it’s squirlyness with emi makes certain areas difficult and having to bag it up in the rain was a pain in the arce. Whites had the best customer service of any company on the planet hands down and they will be missed. I draw the line in the sand and move on. Heheh now I get to go back over all the places I have covered in the last 8 years and see just how good that V3I really was.

Well it looks as if it is time to move on. I started with the whites dfx, changed to the V3I and now on to the CTX3030. After dedicating 25 percent of my brain to the V3I I have about another 25 percent left for the 3030. I love the V3I but it’s squirlyness with emi makes certain areas difficult and having to bag it up in the rain was a pain in the arce. Whites had the best customer service of any company on the planet hands down and they will be missed. I draw the line in the sand and move on. Heheh now I get to go back over all the places I have covered in the last 8 years and see just how good that V3I really was.

My old V3i runs with sensitivity set to full 15, and even with TX boost on. This is in my front yard where my Multi IQ detectors can't handle the EMI today, and won't run above 22. The Etrac is solid though. I run a Detech 8x6 coil on the V3i. The factory coils seem to be frail and loose null on the coils. Have you tried SEF coils?

To add, that is also running the V3i with the 5-band ground filter. That 5-band filter should be the talky-est of them all in EMI. I got a good one I guess, and I used the heck out of it for 6 straight years.

The CTX should be fun. Never owned or even used a CTX, just the Explorer and Etrac. I agree with moving on though. It is hard to shake off bad feelings on hardware.

Last edited:
It is a shame that fine American companies like Whites and Garrett fell so far behind. But all you can do is move ahead with the best detector you think is suited for your types of hunting.

I went from using an AT Pro for three years and it was a good detector for its time. Then moved on to the Nox 800 for 3 years. The Nox and I never really meshed. Probably mostly my fault for trying to use all the advanced settings without really knowing what I was doing. Should have jus stayed in the standard factory modes that were well designed by the engineers. Probably half the time on the 800 I was using a detector that I had through ignorance detuned.

Plus it was just too sensitive to me. To quiet it down, had to reduce the sensitivity and there went the depth, which left me in the clad, pull tab, pop top, bottle cap and can slaw level of 4 to 5" deep in metro Atlanta. Never trusted the 800's depth indicator.

On the CTX3030 you can trust the depth indicator (measured in actual inches) and find the deep silver because the CTX3030 is a much quieter detector without having to reduce the sensitivity. Just set your manual sensitivity to what the detector indicates on the sensitivity panel as the proper sensitivity. And often you can crank the sensitivity up even more without having the chatter. So that is why I went with a new CTX3030 even though it came out in 2012. Have been very happy with this coin machine.

How would you compare the V3i to the Etrac, to the CTX

How would. you compare the Etrac to the CTX?

I have a Deus2 and CTX3030, how would you compare those two?

Thank you!
Etrac vs V3i: Etrac could achieve the same or similar performance without needing to make a lot of adjustments. Just turn it on, noise cancel and go. The V3i was capable of good performance but required a lot of tweaking of its many settings. Navigation of the Etrac menu was much easier to me, it had a much more stable ID and gave unmistakable tones on deep silver.

Etrac vs CTX: These two machines are actually very similar in functionality. If you’re familiar with the Etrac, moving to a CTX will be no problem IMHO. The CTX has more separation modes and the ability to set up tone bins, so you’re not limited to 50 tones and two tone ferrous. CTX is waterproof, has a numeric depth read out, index finger pinpoint button, better looking screen, GPS, and a useful tool called Target Trace. The tones can be set up to sound similar to the Etrac but many still prefer the slightly more flutey sounds of the Etrac.

CTX vs Deus 2: I’m still learning the D2 and am really liking it. It has a very good TID, though still no match for that of the CTX. Where the Deus 2 really shines IMO is the tones. Not only the variety you can select from, but how descriptive they are. Lots of tonal nuance with this machine. Unlike the original Deus, the D2 also does well in modern trash. It’s faster than the CTX, so it’s better suited for hunting in thick iron. It’s obviously a lot lighter and easier to swing than the CTX. Depth on coins is similar. Advantage on small low conductors goes to the Deus 2. D2 is more versatile. Two very different detectors. Both very good at what they do.

First swing of the ctx3030 goldish

Took the 3030 for a spin at the beach for first hunt. 15 minutes in I get a deep warble and this was at the bottom of a 12in hole ah well almost soiled myself. Kept going the tide was coming in, no time to waste found a John adams $1 10 feet away I have to admit it was fun. The Ctx is quiet and deep on the beach it is a special machine, weighs about the same as the V3I weight is not a problem. And coin is a fake heheh.

Attachments

• 7A6CD7CD-32FF-4D85-97F7-787E065C9019.jpeg
    7A6CD7CD-32FF-4D85-97F7-787E065C9019.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 136
Get Andy Sabisch's book "The CTX 3030 Handbook"

Not only is it mandatory if you get a CTX, I'll go so far to say, it's one of the most useful books I've ever purchased. I would say 98% of it, is info thats valuable!

An absolutely amazing book! It should be sold with every CTX 3030

BTW he has a website. He also sells detectors. If you want to buy a detector from a knowledgeable dealer, hah... I'm not sure anyone can claim to have more knowledge than him.

I'm watching this with interest as I'm trying to decide between the CTX and the D2. Thanks for the great information. BTW, no beach hunting for me, so what's the take for a land lubber? I struggle with chronic neck pain so the weight of the D2 is inviting.

Ctx 3030 is amazing

The ctx3030 is an amazing machine in a few hours where a sidewalk was ripped out I found a Morgan 1896,v nickel 1883, merc,and some wheats, and a buff under some big ass power lines with traffic roaring by. I am very impressed with the performance.

Attachments

• 23BBDF49-5DC2-4AAF-92B0-D33AC6F0A65B.jpg
    23BBDF49-5DC2-4AAF-92B0-D33AC6F0A65B.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom