Just got a Nox 600 need a pro helper.

critik

So this thing seems to be way different than the AT pro I use to have for my first hunt I took it to a farm field that I had never been to before and the thing was beeping and booping constantly.

Basically want to know when to use the presets and if there are ways to filter out trash.

Also what exactly does the horseshoe do? I noticed you can minus out 1-9 and the horseshoe will highlight the bottom left half of the radar but what does it do when you minus 1-9 and what does turning the horseshoe on and off do? Maybe I should have took it to a park for the first time because I never once got a clear target. I dug multiple nails at 9 to 20 on the radar.

What do most coins usually come in at?

If you have this machine and would share your settings I would greatly appreciate it.

I am also going to order a different coil. If you could recommend one that would be great also.
Thanks.

So this thing seems to be way different than the AT pro I use to have for my first hunt I took it to a farm field that I had never been to before and the thing was beeping and booping constantly.

Basically want to know when to use the presets and if there are ways to filter out trash.

Also what exactly does the horseshoe do? I noticed you can minus out 1-9 and the horseshoe will highlight the bottom left half of the radar but what does it do when you minus 1-9 and what does turning the horseshoe on and off do? Maybe I should have took it to a park for the first time because I never once got a clear target. I dug multiple nails at 9 to 20 on the radar.

What do most coins usually come in at?

If you have this machine and would share your settings I would greatly appreciate it.

I am also going to order a different coil. If you could recommend one that would be great also.
Thanks.

My advice would be stick with the presets. I have the 800 so it has a few more bells and whistles. The horseshoe when you push it and it lights the lower left up it means you are accepting the iron. (Some like to hear that).. With it off you don't hear that. If it is off you only hear items that come up in the range of whatever is lit up. That is telling you what is not notched out.

I would learn the coil you have first. Getting a new coil is not a solution for not knowing the machine and can really complicate things.

If it's constantly chattering which is different than beeping (chattering is more like quick quirky beeps..........It could indicate your sensitivity could be too high because of EMI.... Don't be afraid to lower your sensitivity down to 17 or 18..It will still get decent depth

If your heart is set on tweaking the settings, I would recommend learning what all the settings do and how they affect each other or you will likely wrap it around a tree before you dig many coins. There are plenty of videos on youtube about settings. Just keep in mind that what works for them might NOT work for you.

Start with the presets and move settings slowly until you really know them.... would be my advice.

Was the beeping and booping the result of stuff in the ground or EMI?

What kind of coins are you looking for?

A different coil is not the solution to your difficulties.
There are many books and videos available to learn the Equinox.
The online factory instructions helped me a lot also.
Our At Pro is much more chatty than our Minelab detectors.

If I am coin hunting with my Equinox sometimes I will discriminate. I will not h out every number. But 12 ,13 and 25 up to the top,I believe 50 is top.
So I will dig nickels Copper pennies,dimes and quarters.
If you want Indian head pennies then 19 and 20 to include.

Look up some you tube videos... also they have step by step videos and a few great videos on tid... (target readings... ) there are also tons of charts with all the main readings available by doing a google search...

One way I learned the most about my Equinox was by watching Square Nail Squirrel's videos on YouTube. Sadly, he's no longer making videos, but there are a lot in the archives.

Simply notch out everything below 19, and hunt if you are a coin shooter. Nickels do come in at 13 so you can leave that non-notched.

I hope critik is okay. They started this topic 2 months ago and responders asked for more information and critik has not been back.............

The four land based presets are very different in one way. Park 1 and Field 1 will already be more sensitive to targets of many sizes than the AT Pro (I used an AT Gold for many years). Those two modes are set up so they won't sound off of tiny sub gram targets and will basically ignore them for the most part while doing really well on coin sized targets and larger.

Park 2 and Field 2 will hit any tenth of a gram and bigger detectable metal target under the coil. It can sound overwhelming to people that have used less high gain detectors. They are good for poorly oriented targets, partially masked targets and very small micro jewelry, small gold nugget prospecting and very small relics.

I would stick with Park 1 and simplify the tones to 5 or less, use the horseshoe button to check for iron (iron, steel can "false" anywhere in the non-ferrous range) and keep the sensitivity at 20 or below for awhile. Do air tests for the targets that you are likely to find to learn their target IDs, tones and tendencies (especially iron/steel). Learn how to ground balance, noise cancel and how to use the onboard pinpoint function and the coin sized target depth meter. They can be very helpful. Enjoy.

I hope critik is okay. They started this topic 2 months ago and responders asked for more information and critik has not been back.............

The four land based presets are very different in one way. Park 1 and Field 1 will already be more sensitive to targets of many sizes than the AT Pro (I used an AT Gold for many years). Those two modes are set up so they won't sound off of tiny sub gram targets and will basically ignore them for the most part while doing really well on coin sized targets and larger.

Park 2 and Field 2 will hit any tenth of a gram and bigger detectable metal target under the coil. It can sound overwhelming to people that have used less high gain detectors. They are good for poorly oriented targets, partially masked targets and very small micro jewelry, small gold nugget prospecting and very small relics.

I would stick with Park 1 and simplify the tones to 5 or less, use the horseshoe button to check for iron (iron, steel can "false" anywhere in the non-ferrous range) and keep the sensitivity at 20 or below for awhile. Do air tests for the targets that you are likely to find to learn their target IDs, tones and tendencies (especially iron/steel). Learn how to ground balance, noise cancel and how to use the onboard pinpoint function and the coin sized target depth meter. They can be very helpful. Enjoy.

When I was swinging my 600 I used Park 1 almost exclusively except for when I was visiting the beach. I ran it in all metal with nothing discriminated. I recently purchased an 800 and I now run Field 2 with a profile that Markinswpa helped me set up with a separate tone bucket for nickels. I hunt with the 800 in all metal with pretty much all stock settings beyond the tones and it has been very good to me this season. I think too many people get hung up on changing stuff before they even learn the machine without realizing the Equinox is very capable in most situations running a stock program. I am far from an expert with the Equinox, but I cannot argue with the results. :yes:

Eqinox should be fairly straightforward machine to learn. Read the manual and watch some videos and keep in mind some settings such as the recovery speed are 2x what they are on the 800... so a 2 the 600 would be a 4 on the 800...

other than that you should be able to learn coin signals fairly easy.

Rough Guide
9-21 possible gold ring
12-13 nickel
19-21 zinc penny
22-24 copper penny/clad dime
24-25 clad dime
26-28 silver dime/clad quarter
28-32 clad quarter
32-34 silver quarter

That is a very very rough guide based on my observations so take it with a huge grain of salt. A setting that works for me in my dirt may not work for you in yours. Best of luck, the equinox is a great machine when you get to learn it. I've payed for my 600 many times over in the gold I have found with it.

Back
Top Bottom