• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First bottles of the new season.

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
In my area, now is the time to find bottledumps before the jungle comes alive, so checked a small ravine behind where a house once was and found two dumps. I didn't have a shovel so I probe-dug these out of the ground. Super common Qt. Bowman dairy, Chicago (1937), a neat-looking deco Gary, Indiana Coke flavor bottle (which I dinged with the probe). date somewhere in the 20's but too much heel damage to see, and the real surprise, an 1890s blobtop Westside Brewery, Chicago beer. How this ended up in this dump, IDK, must've been a "late throw". Glad to find it though. :yes: Also a couple of glass jar lids.

We'll be going back to the area as the season progresses. Felt good to be out gettin' dirty. :lol:

Attachments

• DSCN6203.jpg
    DSCN6203.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 462
  • DSCN6205.jpg
    DSCN6205.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN6206.jpg
    DSCN6206.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 465
Nice finds, I like emđź‘Ť

Dang cool saves, seems like a lot of fun.

Nice probes GH, especially the blob!

awesome finds!

Way to take advantage of prime conditions. Some good digs too!

I really love that beer bottle, and they all look to be in great condition!

Cool bottles!

Thanks everyone!
Sorthious, the Coke had those fractures on the heel, and that ding that I did with the probe, but I'm hoping there'll be another one in there that's nicer (crossing fingers) as I never dug one like it before. I like any bottle from Gary, Indiana.

Just got back from metal detecting and found a 1968 Nehi Bottle sans the label(the clay/minerals seem to eat most things up). I recognized the vertical stripe pattern though and got the date from the bottom of the bottle. I used to hunt bottles when I was younger, but didn't expect to find one metal detecting!

Sorthious, the Coke had those fractures on the heel, and that ding that I did with the probe, but I'm hoping there'll be another one in there that's nicer (crossing fingers) as I never dug one like it before. I like any bottle from Gary, Indiana.

Good Luck on finding another. I used to love collecting old bottles. Have an old 7-up with this girl swimming up through bubbles, another Mountain Dew with a hillbillie chasing a guy with a shotgun up to an outhouse. Several old Milk Bottles. I might have to get back in to it. Seems like the church I'm hunting at now loved to throw trash everywhere. There's probably a midden heap somewhere!

In my area, now is the time to find bottledumps before the jungle comes alive, so checked a small ravine behind where a house once was and found two dumps. I didn't have a shovel so I probe-dug these out of the ground. Super common Qt. Bowman dairy, Chicago (1937), a neat-looking deco Gary, Indiana Coke flavor bottle (which I dinged with the probe). date somewhere in the 20's but too much heel damage to see, and the real surprise, an 1890s blobtop Westside Brewery, Chicago beer. How this ended up in this dump, IDK, must've been a "late throw". Glad to find it though. :yes: Also a couple of glass jar lids.

We'll be going back to the area as the season progresses. Felt good to be out gettin' dirty. :lol:

You got any corker poison bottles in the collection you want to sell? I collect the old poison bottles and some bitters.

Neat bottles Glasshopper !!!! :thumbsup:

While I have not yet specifically hunted for glass bottles I do take notice if I happen to spot one that seems like it might be a vintage bottle.

I remember how even back in the early 1960's as a kid how neat some of the glass soda bottles looked back then.

You might have already seen this animation before, but I just spotted it again recently and thought you'd get a kick out of it :laughing:

Is this how determined you are to dig REALLY deep for a bottle find ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
bottle digging.gif

Some of my poisons. Bitters are in the big apothecary in the background.

Hey, Azmo, you sure have been digging the poisons! I do have a few of those. Very nice!

I have some UV lights and know how neat some glass can look under UV from having what they call a uranium or vaseline glass marble :shock: :lol:

regular light ___________________ UV light
View attachment 497843 View attachment 497844

Neat bottles Glasshopper !!!! :thumbsup:

While I have not yet specifically hunted for glass bottles I do take notice if I happen to spot one that seems like it might be a vintage bottle.

I remember how even back in the early 1960's as a kid how neat some of the glass soda bottles looked back then.

You might have already seen this animation before, but I just spotted it again recently and thought you'd get a kick out of it :laughing:

Is this how determined you are to dig REALLY deep for a bottle find ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
View attachment 497845

Gary, that vaseline marble is so cool. I have friends that collect the green vaseline glass of old, they display it under blacklights. Makes for one heckuva display!

I remember that digger animation from that old website, thanks for showing it again. If I dug that deep nowadays, I'd just disappear in there forever, I'm afraid. :lol:

Gary, that vaseline marble is so cool. I have friends that collect the green vaseline glass of old, they display it under blacklights. Makes for one heckuva display!

I remember that digger animation from that old website, thanks for showing it again. If I dug that deep nowadays, I'd just disappear in there forever, I'm afraid. :lol:

Hey Glasshopper !

:laughing: I can definitely understand you not wanting to deep THAT deep :lol:, but glad you enjoyed that old animation I found again !

The vaseline marble I have came with some other small free samples of minerals with one of the UV lights I bought, but you can find vaseline marbles for sale online.

For those interested in things related to UV lights here is a thread related to it -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=290775

It focuses more on fluorescent minerals, but there are many things that glow under UV light, including as you likely know - some glass, if I find any UV reactive glass or bottles (other than that marble) I'll have to add it to that thread.

10-4 Gary.
I have one of those Blacklights with the 8" tube that I picked up at the local Goodwill and though it's not too powerful, it's amazing just the stuff in the house that glows, even paper items. I'll have to play around with it more.

Back
Top Bottom