It pays stay in touch with several dealers

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Most dealers have their ears to the ground. They often come across good deals when buying or trading in detectors from their customers.

I let a few dealers know I was interested in buying a CTX3030.

a dealer notified me of one he had for sale: guy bought it from him 4 years ago. used once and put in closet. He passed away and dealer was selling it for his wife.

Dealer also said, to his knowledge the warranties were never registered.

So I basically got a brand new CTX3030, extra alkaline battery pack, 11" coil, charger, wm10 for $1,400. I was able to register all the warranties in my name because the dealer was correct about his suspicions on the guy not filing the warranties. And the detector was in mint condition.

Most dealers have their ears to the ground. They often come across good deals when buying or trading in detectors from their customers.

a dealer notified me of one he had for sale: guy bought it from him 4 years ago. used once and put in closet. He passed away and dealer was selling it for his wife.

So I basically got a brand new CTX3030, extra alkaline battery pack, 11" coil, charger, wm10 for $1,400. I was able to register all the warranties in my name because the dealer was correct about his suspicions on the guy not filing the warranties. And the detector was in mint condition.
Agreed. I prefer to buy from the small dealers that sponsor the forums instead of the big box stores who could care less about our success.

You need an XP Deus for relics:cool:

Just a heads up on warranties from most companies. If you don't register the warranty within 30 days of purchase they will go by the date the machine was actually made,and start the warranty from then.. I hope that don't happen to you but it's happened to several people already... Just cause a buyer don't register the warranty don't mean the machine isnt documented as sold by the company.

Also, don't forget to register the coil warranty.
Many people just register the control box and forget the coil has a separate serial number and thus a separate warranty.

Just a heads up on warranties from most companies. If you don't register the warranty within 30 days of purchase they will go by the date the machine was actually made,and start the warranty from then.. I hope that don't happen to you but it's happened to several people already... Just cause a buyer don't register the warranty don't mean the machine isnt documented as sold by the company.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

I bought a used AT Max second hand and it had only a few hours on it (I know this b/c it still had the OEM batteries and they were almost completely full). Anyways, it had a small issue and Garrett refused to fix the problem because the machine was manufactured long enough ago such that the warranty expired.

Garrett said that they would start the warranty clock when the machine was sold, not when it was manufactured. But b/c I couldn't prove to them when it was sold, they had to "default" to the manufacturing date so I was out of luck.

I have no idea when the AT Max was sold, but I have a feeling it was within the warranty period.

If Minelab doesn't work like Garrett does, I'd be very suprised. This is a very easy way to extend any warranty.

Just buy a Minelab and never register it and use it for 5 years. It breaks, then register it the next day and voila, extended warranty coverage!

I did not know that. Thank you. I usually get lazy with used purchases and warranties.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

I bought a used AT Max second hand and it had only a few hours on it (I know this b/c it still had the OEM batteries and they were almost completely full). Anyways, it had a small issue and Garrett refused to fix the problem because the machine was manufactured long enough ago such that the warranty expired.

Garrett said that they would start the warranty clock when the machine was sold, not when it was manufactured. But b/c I couldn't prove to them when it was sold, they had to "default" to the manufacturing date so I was out of luck.

I have no idea when the AT Max was sold, but I have a feeling it was within the warranty period.

If Minelab doesn't work like Garrett does, I'd be very suprised. This is a very easy way to extend any warranty.

Just buy a Minelab and never register it and use it for 5 years. It breaks, then register it the next day and voila, extended warranty coverage!

I can only speak for myself,but I've owned alot of minelabs and never once had one fail,break or stop working. .. I don't like the cheap coil ears going clear back to the Xterras,,but other than that I think they're all built really good

Back
Top Bottom