Mid-Winter eye candy: Vintage soda pop cans

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Just wanted to show some of the old soda/pop cans I've found through the years. Some found in dumps, inside old house walls, under crawl spaces, even some flea market finds. These are mostly 1960s & early 70s, but a few are 1950s. Since nobody collected these like they did beer cans, pop cans are very hard to find in good condition anymore.

Attachments

• DSCN5731.jpg
    DSCN5731.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCN5732.jpg
    DSCN5732.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCN5734.jpg
    DSCN5734.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN5735.jpg
    DSCN5735.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN5736.jpg
    DSCN5736.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN5737.jpg
    DSCN5737.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN5738.jpg
    DSCN5738.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 495
Nice collection. I didn't start seeing soft drinks in cans until the 60s, but I lived in a small town. Are they mostly pop-tops or are some opened with a church key?

Wow, what a nice assortment, Glasshopper ! Almost the start of a personal museum.

In the first photo, the Clicquot Club Orange Soda caught my eye. I remember Clicquot Club Soda brand from growing up. Recently, while driving out westbound on Route 109 from the Boston/Dedham, Mass area, I noticed a tall smoke stack tower with the vertical, worn, painted word:
C
L
I
C
Q
U
O
T on it.

This is in Millis, Mass. A link to the Wikipedia entry for Clicquot Club in Millis is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicquot_Club_Company

They sold out in 1965 to to Colt Beverages after 80 years in business.

And a 2011 article from Boston.com on this company: http://archive.boston.com/news/loca.../15/remembering_clicquot_club_soda_in_millis/

Jim

Wow, what a nice assortment, Glasshopper ! Almost the start of a personal museum.

In the first photo, the Clicquot Club Orange Soda caught my eye. I remember Clicquot Club Soda brand from growing up. Recently, while driving out westbound on Route 109 from the Boston/Dedham, Mass area, I noticed a tall smoke stack tower with the vertical, worn, painted word:
C
L
I
C
Q
U
O
T on it.

This is in Millis, Mass. A link to the Wikipedia entry for Clicquot Club in Millis is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicquot_Club_Company

And a 2011 article from Boston.com on this company: http://archive.boston.com/news/loca.../15/remembering_clicquot_club_soda_in_millis/

Jim
Jim, I too remember Clicquot Club soda from back when I was a kid. We used to buy QUART bottles because soda wasn't sold in liters back then. The bottles had an Eskimo boy on the label and his name was "Kleeko".
Might not be politically correct these days.

Nice collection. I didn't start seeing soft drinks in cans until the 60s, but I lived in a small town. Are they mostly pop-tops or are some opened with a church key?

Some are punchtops (a.k.a. flattops) and many are pulltab tops, some early type pulltabs.

Museum's already started according to my visitors. I don't charge admission...yet. :lol:

C
L
I
C
Q
U
O
T on it.

Jim

Interesting read! Yes, I have some old 78 records by Harry Reser's Clicquot Club Eskimos dating back to the late 20s. Their drummer, Poley McLintock sang like Popeye!

Great collection of old cans....

Thanks. It took about 45-50 years. Don't find too many anymore.

when I got the first can, I was in 60's or so, down in Arkansas at Grandma, my Mom seen out the window & seen my "BEER" & boy was she out the door at me. I think the soda was "Bazooka" - taste like gum. I never heard at that time

This is cool! I wonder how many here have sampled all of them? I probably haven’t tasted 95% of the pictured. Never knew so many existed back then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, that is something to see! As soon as I saw "vintage soda pop cans" in the title, I was thinking - those are hard to come by. You have confirmed my thoughts on that. I recall seeing only a few of those styles in my youth. One unique can I remember from the early to mid 70s had 2 buttons on top that you push to open. The smaller button was the breather hole. Mr. Pibb I think it was. Never saw another can like that in circulation. I believe they were not used for long. Probably a safety hazard. I remember being scared of opening them after that first one.

Jim, I too remember Clicquot Club soda from back when I was a kid. We used to buy QUART bottles because soda wasn't sold in liters back then. The bottles had an Eskimo boy on the label and his name was "Kleeko".
Might not be politically correct these days.
Check out this Clicquot from a dig I made over 40 years ago.

Attachments

• 9C28D95A-EFD1-4EBE-9DA9-56CACBE0D9D5.jpeg
    9C28D95A-EFD1-4EBE-9DA9-56CACBE0D9D5.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 354
Great old collection! I think I found most of the pull tabs for those. Want them back? Ha!

Nice collection. We got mostly returnable bottles during that time period. You have a can of my favorite soda - 50/50. It was 50% grapefruit and 50% lime. I have not had one in years.

Dang, that is something to see! As soon as I saw "vintage soda pop cans" in the title, I was thinking - those are hard to come by. You have confirmed my thoughts on that. I recall seeing only a few of those styles in my youth. One unique can I remember from the early to mid 70s had 2 buttons on top that you push to open. The smaller button was the breather hole. Mr. Pibb I think it was. Never saw another can like that in circulation. I believe they were not used for long. Probably a safety hazard. I remember being scared of opening them after that first one.

Yeah we called those buttontops. I would use a key to pop 'em. Have a few somewhere.

Check out this Clicquot from a dig I made over 40 years ago.

Nice! I dug one in aqua glass.

Great old collection! I think I found most of the pull tabs for those. Want them back? Ha!

Nah! You keep 'em for me. :lol:

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

Back
Top Bottom