Big Shiny, Sunbaked Surface Merc & a Chunky Ring

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Been awhile since I posted my finds. Seems like I've been just plugging along with most hunts being just one silver & one maybe two wheats a hunt. Till today, I got the pick me up I needed.

Since my last post I have been back to the old city park and hit a set of woods I have hit numerous times before and just about tripped over a 43 GW. But the cool find that day was a 12-13 nickel signal that turned out to be a button.
When I first brushed it off I saw Pittsburgh and the arm with a hammer I immediately though Ironworkers as we have a very strong old local here. When I saw Police I chuckled and thought how politicly incorrect that would be these days. Also found a small sterling ring that day.

Then a small local yard permission on the first trip gave up a 48 Rosie, a Buff and a couple wheats, one nice 1920. On a return visit I got a little pumped up on a fake gold ring and finished that day with another 4 wheats and a tootsie car.

Went back to a different city park I call the sugar bowl where me and Diabolik on the last trip both got war nickels and he even managed to squeak another old Merc out. Well I dug another wheat and a 57 Rosie to boot. This place just keeps on giving.

Then I go back to the old city park to my old honey hole . No silver that trip but it turned out to be a pretty decent relic hunt. With 2 bucket listers, a Model T axle grease cover and a 3 Merry Widows tin. The cover cleaned up pretty nice but the tin was shot. Also dug 2 old V nickles, 2 spoons and a bunch of relics and trash.

Now my next 2 hunts, a little oddity here, a small local yard permission and a set of woods across town I have been wanting to hit both, the only finds of note gave up a 43 P war nickel and a 48 wheat. The woods added one more wheat. Back to back finds Huh ?

So now to today, been a week since I got out and the itch need scratched. I had stopped at a flower shop last week when I noticed they had bulldozed the greenhouse over and asked if I could hunt the fresh dirt. He said come back next week, with Mothers Day it was busy but next week would be fine.
No shade, started 9:30 junk, trash, junk trash. Finally a good quarter signal. The cursed 65 GW. The one side of the lot still had grass and from there I was digging memorials that were ringing in the high 30s. Then at last I dug a wheat. Good sign. Well on that side I might have been getting a little close to the property line and the owner from next door comes out and asks what an I doing and what am I looking for. I give him my usual, I say I'm a history hunter and enjoy finding old coins, tokens and buttons from the past. He then told me I was on his property on several of my passes so I said sorry was going by the grass cutting lines. After a brief chat, and me whipping out my phone and showing some pics of my latest finds he saw my passion and said, if you want, you're welcome to do my yard. I see how neat you work so enjoy. This is a tight manicured lawn and never in a million years would I have thought , I would have thought a waste of time to ask.

Back to the flower shop worn out, just about fed up, ready to try next door. On the one corner of the still standing building I see where they pulled a humungus bush out. I get a loud double tapping penny/ clad dime signal. I look down and see what appears to be a whited out dime, probably from too much fertilizer. When I rub it couldn't see much detail, then I see the torch on the back. "Hello Beautiful " I had a Merc. Must have popped out when they dug the rootball out. After 5 hours of pretty much nothin I find a Merc sunbathing right on the surface. I'll take it. And as I started this post I said here again one silver one wheat.
Started next door, high 30s signals were giving up memorials and then finally a wheat, then a second. OK maybe there is some old stuff here. Another 32-33 I saw a nice but strange looking silver ring. When I got another high 30s signal I wasn't too excited until I pulled a handfull of dirt out and saw big silver on the towel. YES . A Walker, anybody whos has dug a silver half know what I'm talking about. Now here comes the landscapers to cut the grass. One more good signal gives up an old car token. Then I headed out. Will go back later this week to finish. Slow start but a great finish that gets me to 35 FTY. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• redo167.jpg
    redo167.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 535
  • redo170.jpg
    redo170.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 521
  • redo171.jpg
    redo171.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 531
  • redo172.jpg
    redo172.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 529
  • redo168.jpg
    redo168.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 552
  • redo169.jpg
    redo169.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 535
  • redo174.jpg
    redo174.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 518
  • redo166.jpg
    redo166.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 515
  • redo176.jpg
    redo176.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 512
  • redo177.jpg
    redo177.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 545
  • redo178.jpg
    redo178.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 523
  • redo179.jpg
    redo179.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 528
  • redo175.jpg
    redo175.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 522
  • redo180.jpg
    redo180.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 534
  • redo173.jpg
    redo173.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 512
Man, that is a plethora of fantastic finds Mark. So much variety. Like the Tootise, the Walker, Merc, button, hub cap etc. Great hunting!

Great story Mark and great finds as usual. I know what you mean love digging a silver half. You're doing very well this year! GL & HH

Steve

That’s a nice haul! Always nice to see a walking lady! Congrats Mark!

Thank you Rattlehead, silver halfs are few and far between these days. Good luck. Mark

Man, that is a plethora of fantastic finds Mark. So much variety. Like the Tootise, the Walker, Merc, button, hub cap etc. Great hunting!

GS Thanks I was stoked when I found the Model T cap. Hope to cross a few more off the bucket list this year. Good luck to you. Mark

Great story Mark and great finds as usual. I know what you mean love digging a silver half. You're doing very well this year! GL & HH

Steve

Thank you Steve, that was my third Walker since I've started. They don't come often enough. Still looking for a Barber half and a Big Ben. Good luck. Mark

Been awhile since I posted my finds. Seems like I've been just plugging along with most hunts being just one silver & one maybe two wheats a hunt. Till today, I got the pick me up I needed.

Since my last post I have been back to the old city park and hit a set of woods I have hit numerous times before and just about tripped over a 43 GW. But the cool find that day was a 12-13 nickel signal that turned out to be a button.
When I first brushed it off I saw Pittsburgh and the arm with a hammer I immediately though Ironworkers as we have a very strong old local here. When I saw Police I chuckled and thought how politicly incorrect that would be these days. Also found a small sterling ring that day.

Then a small local yard permission on the first trip gave up a 48 Rosie, a Buff and a couple wheats, one nice 1920. On a return visit I got a little pumped up on a fake gold ring and finished that day with another 4 wheats and a tootsie car.

Went back to a different city park I call the sugar bowl where me and Diabolik on the last trip both got war nickels and he even managed to squeak another old Merc out. Well I dug another wheat and a 57 Rosie to boot. This place just keeps on giving.

Then I go back to the old city park to my old honey hole . No silver that trip but it turned out to be a pretty decent relic hunt. With 2 bucket listers, a Model T axle grease cover and a 3 Merry Widows tin. The cover cleaned up pretty nice but the tin was shot. Also dug 2 old V nickles, 2 spoons and a bunch of relics and trash.

Now my next 2 hunts, a little oddity here, a small local yard permission and a set of woods across town I have been wanting to hit both, the only finds of note gave up a 43 P war nickel and a 48 wheat. The woods added one more wheat. Back to back finds Huh ?

So now to today, been a week since I got out and the itch need scratched. I had stopped at a flower shop last week when I noticed they had bulldozed the greenhouse over and asked if I could hunt the fresh dirt. He said come back next week, with Mothers Day it was busy but next week would be fine.
No shade, started 9:30 junk, trash, junk trash. Finally a good quarter signal. The cursed 65 GW. The one side of the lot still had grass and from there I was digging memorials that were ringing in the high 30s. Then at last I dug a wheat. Good sign. Well on that side I might have been getting a little close to the property line and the owner from next door comes out and asks what an I doing and what am I looking for. I give him my usual, I say I'm a history hunter and enjoy finding old coins, tokens and buttons from the past. He then told me I was on his property on several of my passes so I said sorry was going by the grass cutting lines. After a brief chat, and me whipping out my phone and showing some pics of my latest finds he saw my passion and said, if you want, you're welcome to do my yard. I see how neat you work so enjoy. This is a tight manicured lawn and never in a million years would I have thought , I would have thought a waste of time to ask.

Back to the flower shop worn out, just about fed up, ready to try next door. On the one corner of the still standing building I see where they pulled a humungus bush out. I get a loud double tapping penny/ clad dime signal. I look down and see what appears to be a whited out dime, probably from too much fertilizer. When I rub it couldn't see much detail, then I see the torch on the back. "Hello Beautiful " I had a Merc. Must have popped out when they dug the rootball out. After 5 hours of pretty much nothin I find a Merc sunbathing right on the surface. I'll take it. And as I started this post I said here again one silver one wheat.
Started next door, high 30s signals were giving up memorials and then finally a wheat, then a second. OK maybe there is some old stuff here. Another 32-33 I saw a nice but strange looking silver ring. When I got another high 30s signal I wasn't too excited until I pulled a handfull of dirt out and saw big silver on the towel. YES . A Walker, anybody whos has dug a silver half know what I'm talking about. Now here comes the landscapers to cut the grass. One more good signal gives up an old car token. Then I headed out. Will go back later this week to finish. Slow start but a great finish that gets me to 35 FTY. Thanks for looking in. Mark
Awesome Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!

Holy smokes Mark, what a fine collection of finds! The only other place I could think of that would have more pics of that variety would be an old Sears catalog. lol. Finding that '34 walker is neat too especially when most that are found are in the 40's it seems. Those "V" nickels sure say you found yourself some good old dirt to dig in. Great job all the way-around! At the jet fuel laced fast pace you're going you'll be at 40 then 50 silvers in no time! John

Congrats on the great finds. I found the same car a couple of weeks ago at one of my permissions.

What a fantastic set of finds, Mark. Really shows your dedication to the craft.

Thank you jhanson for the compliment. Not sure as to dedication but I will say I have it bad. And you know, I love to find silver and old copper, and would really love to find some gold , but it doesn't matter. As long as I can find some old cool stuff, hopefully with some historical significance I'm a happy camper. Good luck. Mark

Awesome Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you sir, good luck to you. Mark

Awesome! My knees hurt just looking at all those digs..lol. Congrats!

Thank Gale. Have noticed I don't get up and down as quick as I used too. Good luck. Mark

Congrats on 35 FTY, and especially the Walker half!

Ok longbow, how strange. I just commented on you finding a Walker and a Merc and said how those were my 2 favorite coins and on my next hunt I find the same. And when I saw your post I thought back to my last Walker find and you know I dug that same van not 20 minutes before I dug a 41 Walker. Some strange sh11T my friend. Ha ha. Good luck. Mark

Some great finds, especially the silver half. Never found one. Still hopping.

Thank you, hope you dig one soon. Mark

You just dug one of everything there recently didn’t you? That’s what we call “variety”.:lol: Very nice Mark!

I wish I had such great silver sights as you back east!👍 congrats 👍

Well you did, Tom and his buddies cleaned them all out. Maybe you ought to send him a nastygram:lol: ha ha thanks metaladdict Good luck. Mark

That is just a whole lot of cool stuff. Congrats!

suncat thanks much, I have been very lucky this year. Good luck to you. Mark

Awesome finds Mark! You have been busy and it has payed off! keep it going buddy!

Thank you sir will do, at least until the heat and humidity get here. Good luck. Mark

Holy smokes Mark, what a fine collection of finds! The only other place I could think of that would have more pics of that variety would be an old Sears catalog. lol. Finding that '34 walker is neat too especially when most that are found are in the 40's it seems. Those "V" nickels sure say you found yourself some good old dirt to dig in. Great job all the way-around! At the jet fuel laced fast pace you're going you'll be at 40 then 50 silvers in no time! John

John thank you. I do try to mix up my locations as to mix older finds with the more modern ones. The woods site across town was one of those places we discussed, unfortunately it was too green. Maybe next Nov. And I would like to hit 50 before the end of June but seems unlikely, things are heating and drying up early this year. Glad to see your research is paying off, in spades my friend. Keep it going. Mark

Congrats on the great finds. I found the same car a couple of weeks ago at one of my permissions.

Thank you. I get a kick out of finding those old cars, and the old toy soldiers also. Good luck. Mark

Back
Top Bottom