Fort Ticonderoga

Joe03

Well, this coming Saturday, I am starting only my second permission. 3 1/2 acres where there was an old homestead with only old stone walls left about 10 miles south of Fort Ticonderoga, between a lake George and Lake Champlain, as the crow flies.

Best to hit along the stone walls? Or just kinda mental map it out and work the season there?
I’m only used to farm fields and never hunted wooded areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Joe

Well, this coming Saturday, I am starting only my second permission. 3 1/2 acres where there was an old homestead with only old stone walls left about 10 miles south of Fort Ticonderoga, between a lake George and Lake Champlain, as the crow flies.

Best to hit along the stone walls? Or just kinda mental map it out and work the season there?
I’m only used to farm fields and never hunted wooded areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Joe

My strategy would be to first make continuous ever increasing circles beginning right next to the exterior of the stonewall until I had made about 5 or 6 circles.
Second, I would do the interior living area of the stonewalls thoroughly. Third, the pathway between the exterior door and their source of clean water whether it be a well or a creek. Fourth, farm or garden areas and the paths from the exterior door to those areas. When we get tired at the end of each day, we just go off into the woods in random directions for about 15 minutes. So, last would be thoroughly gridding the woods.

Yes, there is a small stream that runs right through the property.
Good advice, thanks. I look forward to getting started on it. Like mentioned, I’m used to farm fields and not wooded areas.

If you can manage to get an old map or two of the area to get an idea of where the structures may have been in years past would be great.

F5

Look for a depression in the soil which might be the cellar hole.
Look for red brick or pieces of brick, and/or field stone (flat stones) that may have been the foundation.

Well I hit it this AM for around 2.5 - 3hrs. Worked along a stone wall and a lot of iron sounds, which I did let go for this time.. good signals also which, turned out to be 22 casings. I cleared one side of the stone wall of them. Other than that I walked the area. Not a lot of depressions and surprisingly not a lot of seen household trash. Next time up I will work along the small but significant creek. Would have stayed longer but, it’s the wife’s night for Mother’s Day and home to get ready for that.

Now, where do you go to look for older maps, I figure it would have to be back quite always?

Anywho, I will have to learn more about the area and go from there.

Well I hit it this AM for around 2.5 - 3hrs. Worked along a stone wall and a lot of iron sounds, which I did let go for this time.. good signals also which, turned out to be 22 casings. I cleared one side of the stone wall of them. Other than that I walked the area. Not a lot of depressions and surprisingly not a lot of seen household trash. Next time up I will work along the small but significant creek. Would have stayed longer but, it’s the wife’s night for Mother’s Day and home to get ready for that.

Now, where do you go to look for older maps, I figure it would have to be back quite always?

Anywho, I will have to learn more about the area and go from there.

Check this site out for maps. http://www.historicmapworks.com/

Steve

Back
Top Bottom