My Best Find Ever Happened Today

rob_vic

Dug this belt keeper in Union earthworks on a new permission today. It's my first time digging a belt keeper, but the absolute best part is that the soldier who owned it etched his initials into it. Hands down my best find ever!

Attachments

• bk1.jpg
    bk1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 419
Cool piece, never seen one marked with initials until now. Be even cooler if your research could narrow down a possible identity of the unit in that position and just maybe the Soldier in the roster. Congrats

Fredneck - that's what I'm doing now - going through the rosters of units who were in the area and hoping to identify the soldier. Found several with initials of PPW, but they were not in the state. Any helpful resource suggestions are appreciated!

Fredneck - that's what I'm doing now - going through the rosters of units who were in the area and hoping to identify the soldier. Found several with initials of PPW, but they were not in the state. Any helpful resource suggestions are appreciated!

Well to start, you need the specifics of that battle position and who occupied it, which could be found in the reports of the battle in the "Official Records of the CW" which can be accessed online in several libraries. If those records don't give you the details, find a book written about that specific battle would be a good start.

Nice piece, would be fun researching the markings etched into it. Could have been done at anytime, but to be able to confirm it to be a solder, then that’s about the best personal item from a particular solder a guy could find. Keep us posted, and congrats ona nice find.

Cool find, if you could pinpoint it to the actual soldier that would be really special. I would make a nice display piece with it. Congrats, love old buckles!

Back
Top Bottom